The Night of the Hunter (1955) Prime Video

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
A psychopathic preacher learns about a man who stole $10,000 during the depression who was imprisoned and hanged. He sets out to find where he hid it.
Based on a true story.
It is a pretty solid movie, The acting is a bit over done, but that is how it was in 1955. The music score is downright horrendous, but again - done in the style of the time. Robert Mitcham shows his acting skills playing the dark, narcissistic, murderous man who uses his cloak to gain people's trust.
It is worth the watch. It is a good story that holds on to you, and you will want to know what happens.

Still creepy to this day.

In fact Robert Mitchum was worried that people would be so creeped-out by his portrayal that it would cost him work later on.

Excellent film, though not based on a true story. The Preacher character, however, was inspired by Dutch-born American serial killer Harry Powers (Herman Drenth). The only film directed by actor Charles Laughton.

Excellent film, though not based on a true story. The Preacher character, however, was inspired by Dutch-born American serial killer Harry Powers (Herman Drenth). The only film directed by actor Charles Laughton.
it was a box office failure...it broke laughton's heart and he never attempted directing again...a cinematic lose

Excellent film with real horror and evil

Lilian Gish was also very good

Excellent film with real horror and evil

Lilian Gish was also very good
Billy Chapin (the boy) was probably the best of show... which is why he appeared in so many movies as a child actor.
But he did not carry it into adulthood. IMdb alludes to disputes he kept having with producers.
So he just quit acting

A very strange role for Mitch in his prime but entertaining none the less.
Oh I don't know, he may have wanted to play a different kind of character.
He did pretty well with it, I wouldn't say award winning performance or anything, but good.

Oh I don't know, he may have wanted to play a different kind of character.
He did pretty well with it, I wouldn't say award winning performance or anything, but good.
Maybe so, he sings in the movie but I liked him better in Thunder Road where he also sings.

Forum List

Back