The north is reaping what it sowed in 1860

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
Lincoln ran on huge tariffs that would have made it harder for the south to buy equipment it needed for farming since they actually bought a lot of goods from overseas. The north won the civil war and those tariffs went through. Now, over a hundred years later, the north has been decimated by free trade and they are crying about it. Blah blah blah...my job is gone...my job is gone...

The big mistake was not hanging all those southern traitors when they had the chance .

The big mistake was not hanging all those southern traitors when they had the chance .

Carters ancestors...
Johnsons ancestors...
Clintons ancestors...

You may have a point

Oh brother . And you righties say it's the blacks still hung up on slavery .

• Banned

Must kill...must kill...must kill...seems to be mentality of the average lefty today.

Arent you pro death penalty .?

I can't figure out why it is that the left wants to apologize for nuking japan when they actually did attack us but want to hang southerners for a war that we only read about in the history books. A part of me just thinks that sympathy towards the southern rebellion that is expressed is seen as a threat to the authority of the government which is why the left wants to sqaush out this kind of talk. Obedience to the supreme will of the government is absolutely necessary in economic planning because an obedient population is easy to work with in the same way a cooperative employee is preferred by employers.

I prefer an economic system that doesn't require such loyalty to work and yes I am pro death penalty if Obama was strapped into an electric chair.

The south believed slavery was acceptable....how i dont know.

Slavery was a really bad economic model for employees. It only worked on farms. As the north became more industrialized slavery became something that couldn't work in factories since a slave had to be fed, housed, clothed, and taken care of until they die. Most employers just hate paying decent wages and benefits. I don't what they would do if they owned me and was forced to pay for everything I had for the rest of my life.

The thing I wanted to talk about was the fact that the north was a much larger percentage of the country back then so it could demand high tariffs. Now they are a much smaller portion and in most regions of the United States manufacturing has never been the primary source of jobs so now no one gives a shit what they say. Honestly, I like some of the shit that we buy from foreign countries and I'm not convinced that American companies necessarily make the best products in the world.

Lincoln ran on huge tariffs that would have made it harder for the south to buy equipment it needed for farming since they actually bought a lot of goods from overseas. The north won the civil war and those tariffs went through. Now, over a hundred years later, the north has been decimated by free trade and they are crying about it. Blah blah blah...my job is gone...my job is gone...
LOL So, you think that over 150 years after the Civil War, that the kind of grudge you carry is appropriate? If so, then why should we not be paying reparations to the descendents of slaves?

I really think people liked slavery because they just like being in control of other people. The expense of keeping one was probably much larger than hiring a servant to do the same stuff. I just think some people like having authority other people and owning a slave would satisfy that urge.

LOL So, you think that over 150 years after the Civil War, that the kind of grudge you carry is appropriate? If so, then why should we not be paying reparations to the descendents of slaves?

Because I don't care enough about the injustice of slavery to do so and that is the honest truth.

It was acceptable throughout the whole world in that era. I am not saying it is right or wrong, I am stating the fact.
No, you are not. You are telling a lie.

Why was Slavery finally abolished in the British Empire?: The Abolition of Slavery Project

In July 1833, a Bill to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire passed in the House of Commons, followed by the House of Lords on 1st August. There has been a lot of debate over the factors that contributed to the final success of the bill:

Slavery in History « Free the Slaves

The Age of Abolition
  • 1781 Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II abolishes serfdom in the Austrian Habsburg dominions.
  • 1787 The Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade is founded in Britain.
  • 1789 During the French Revolution, the National Assembly adopts the Declaration of the Rights of Man, one of the fundamental charters of human liberties. The first of 17 articles states: “Men are born and remain free and equal in rights.”
  • 1803 Denmark-Norway becomes the first country in Europe to ban the African slave trade, forbidding trading in slaves and ending the importation of slaves into Danish dominions.
  • 1807 The British Parliament makes it illegal for British ships to transport slaves and for British colonies to import them. U.S. President Thomas Jefferson signs into law the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves, forbidding the importation of African slaves into the United States.
  • 1811-1867 Operating off the Atlantic coast of Africa, the British Navy’s Anti-Slavery Squadron liberates 160,000 slaves.
  • 1813 Sweden, a nation that never authorized slave traffic, consents to ban the African slave trade.
  • 1814 The king of the Netherlands officially terminates Dutch participation in the African slave trade. At the Congress of Vienna, the assembled powers proclaim that the slave trade should be abolished as soon as possible but do not stipulate an actual effective date for abolition.
  • 1820 The government of Spain abolishes the slave trade south of the Equator—but it continues in Cuba until 1888.
  • 1833 The Factory Act in Britain establishes a working day in textile manufacture, provides for government inspection of working conditions, bans the employment of children under age 9, and limits the workday of children between 13 and 18 years of age to 12 hours.
  • 1834 The Abolition Act abolishes slavery throughout the British Empire, including British colonies in North America. The bill emancipates slaves in all British colonies and appropriates nearly $100 million in today’s money to compensate slave owners for their losses.
  • 1840 The new British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society calls the first World Anti-Slavery Convention in London to mobilize reformers and assist post-emancipation efforts throughout the world. A group of U.S. abolitionists attends, but Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott, as well as several male supporters, leave the meeting in protest when women are excluded from seating on the convention floor.
  • 1845 The British Navy assigns 36 ships to its Anti-Slavery Squadron, making it one of the largest fleets in the world.
  • 1848 The government of France abolishes slavery in all French colonies.
  • 1850 The government of Brazil ends the country’s participation in the slave trade and declares slave traffic to be a form of piracy.
  • 1861 Alexander II emancipates all Russian serfs, numbering about 50 million. His decree begins the Great Reform in Russia and earns him the title “Czar Liberator.”
  • 1863 President Abraham Lincoln issues The Emancipation Proclamation, freeing all U.S. slaves in states that had seceded from the Union, except for those in Confederate areas already controlled by the Union army.
  • 1863 The government of the Netherlands takes official action to abolish slavery in all Dutch colonies.
  • 1865 Congress gives final passage to, and a sufficient number of states ratify, the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to outlaw slavery. The amendment reads: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”

I can't figure out why it is that the left wants to apologize for nuking japan when they actually did attack us

Um...because ours was an inappropriate response. Yes, Japan attacked a US Military target. The appropriate response is not to nuke two entire cities full of innocence civilians. Jesus, this has to be explained to you?

Must kill...must kill...must kill...seems to be mentality of the average lefty today.

When the left gets angry they frequently wish to kill their opponents or destroy them in some fashion. You are talking about people uninhibited by well any decent standard of behavior.

Forum List

Back