The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

Unless you can provide a link to the negotitions then yes he either lied or made it up.
He didn't want his name on record for dropping the bomb but he knew it was going to be done anyway. There was no benefit for him to come out supporting dropping the bomb.

Here is the way debate works child, you make a claim then support it with facts. There are no facts supporting the claim that Japan negotiated before the bombs.

I did NOT make the claim

A fleet admiral did
I’ve told the grunt many times over the years of documented evidence of Japan‘s efforts to surrender long before Dirty Harry committed his terrible crime. Unfortunately he stopped learning after fourth grade. So, nothing new gets in.

Not the bomb.

Lemay initially said we should wait two weeks. He then later said it would probably have been even less time
No mention of Russians at all. Which general said Japan surrendered because of Russia?

The use of [the atomic bombs] at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons ... The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children.

— Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy, Chief of Staff to President Truman, 1950, [101]

I’ve told the grunt many times over the years of documented evidence of Japan‘s efforts to surrender long before Dirty Harry committed his terrible crime. Unfortunately he stopped learning after fourth grade. So, nothing new gets in.
Probably why he scored so poorly on the asvab

Forum List

Back