The Official Zimmerman Trial Verdict Thread

What are your Initial Thoughts on the Guilt or Innocence of George Zimmerman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So confused about being able to claim self-defense. Is WW saying that in certain circumstances a non-physical provocation can be termed aggressive and therefore negate the provoker/aggressor's ability to assert self-defense?

Partially true. It can be lost or it can be retained.

Even though you can loose a self-defense claim if you are the initial provoker, the law specifies it can be retained even if you are the initial aggressor under certain conditions. Those are spelled out in paragraphs 2(a) and 2(b) from the previous link.

>>>>

Where in any of this does it say Zimmerman grabbed anyone?

It didn't, it said: "I yell at you and call you names and grab your arm, you pound my head on the concrete, I grab for the rock/gun and smash your head in and kill you, I can still claim self defense even though I yelled at you and grabbed your arm initially?"

Did you not read what I'd read the post to which I'd responded to understand context?

Let me explain it for you. He said "I yell at you and call you names and grab your arm..." I'm assuming he's not Zimmerman and I know I'm not Zimmerman, so I assume Zimmerman is not in the context of the hypothetical testarosa posited.

>>>>

We were having a hypothetical so I could understand the law without the legaleze.

We were kool.

It was Sunshine that wanted to get snarky because someone actually cited a law when in a discussion about the law.

>>>>

WW So tell me how this is going to go. If the defense is to make a prima facie showing of self defense (every thing I hear locally says that will be their move) does the prosecution go to bat first as normal and the defense actually begins their self defense showing when it's their turn, then the prosecution would have to come back around to prove it wasn't self defense -- ??

Thanks Tess. I thought I made myself clear.

So, in a nutshell, if it's proven GZ was the initial aggressor, then he cannot claim self-defense - that he was justified in killing TM. And apparently aggression does not need to be physical in order to qualify or be classified as provocative or aggressive. From what I get out of these legal minds is that words or threats could be considered aggression. I guess it will depend on the testimony of TM's girlfriend on the phone at the time GZ and TM had their initial interaction.

OT: DH says the hot dog vendors are set up outside the courthouse, he's mad because there's no snow cones or funnel cakes.

#tequila trial
#funnel cake trial

So, in a nutshell, if it's proven GZ was the initial aggressor, then he cannot claim self-defense - that he was justified in killing TM. And apparently aggression does not need to be physical in order to qualify or be classified as provocative or aggressive. From what I get out of these legal minds is that words or threats could be considered aggression. I guess it will depend on the testimony of TM's girlfriend on the phone at the time GZ and TM had their initial interaction.

Add it to WW's list.

lol

Snook showed up and the whole thing went to hell.

XXXXXXXXXX

Trials rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

That isn't really the drill. Someone is misrepresenting Florida law. Words are not considered 'fighting words' by the law of the land (SCOTUS) unless they are intended to incite. And there are very few of those cases on the books. Someone could call you any number of vile things all day long, and you do not have the right to put hands on them. You can only fight deadly force with deadly force. That does not include equality of weapons. A rock will kill you if thrown correctly, and could be considered deadly force. So whatever Zimmerman SAID to li'l Trayvon did not give Trayvon the right to preemptively physically attack. But once he did attack Zimmerman could defend himself with deadly force. The person posting those statutes are taking them out of context. There are US Supreme Court cases which override. Self defense is a slam dunk.

SS

OT: DH says the hot dog vendors are set up outside the courthouse, he's mad because there's no snow cones or funnel cakes.

#tequila trial
#funnel cake trial

Get him a snow cone maker (one of the kid ones will do), put some of the tequila in the freezer to get it as cold as you can (freeze it if possible, needs to be in a freezer that gets to or below -30°F), and let him have a tequila flavored snow cone when he gets home. LOL

The SCOTUS on 'fighting words.'

The fighting-words doctrine was first articulated in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942). Chaplinsky was convicted of violating a New Hampshire statute that prohibited the use of offensive, insulting language toward persons in public places after making several inflammatory comments to a city official. The Court, in upholding the statute as constitutional, set down those famous words:

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words — those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

Tellingly, despite continued reaffirmation of the fighting-words doctrine, the Supreme Court has declined to uphold any convictions for fighting words since Chaplinsky.

In fact, in Terminiello v. Chicago, 337 U.S. 1 (1949), the Court immediately began a long process of narrowing and reshaping the broad scope of the original fighting-words doctrine. Terminiello was charged with breaching the peace after publicly insulting a group of adversaries. While not addressing whether Terminiello's speech constituted fighting words, the Court found that the breach of the peace statute in question was overbroad because it permitted convictions for both fighting words and constitutionally protected expression. Concluding that speech that merely causes anger or outrage does not amount to fighting words, the Court opined that speech is protected unless the expression is "likely to produce a clear and present danger of a serious intolerable evil that rises above mere inconvenience or annoyance." The Court explicitly stated that it would not assume that certain words inevitably provoke violent reactions by individuals. Rather, the Court's analysis focuses on the context in which the words were uttered, not merely the content of the words themselves.

More at:
freedomforum.org: What is the Fighting Words Doctrine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back