The OIL!

Let's not forget that these extremists are people who voluntarily kill themselves because of their religious beliefs. If they ever gained a foothold in Iraq and came to be in control of the oil, I don't think they would hesitate to do whatever to hurt the rest of the world, even at their own expense.

I don't think I'm getting my point across or you're disagreeing with my point but not saying so.

The markets can't afford for that oil to stop flowing and NEITHER can the entity which controls the oil. We need they oil, they need the money. Let ISIS take control, they still need to govern the land that they control. People still need to eat, people still need to earn income. Oil is manna there.

What we're talking about here is the skim, as the mob used to say. There are costs to pump the oil, costs to keep the infrastructure running and maintained, costs to administration, etc then there are the subsidies for food and gasoline, there are the costs of importing gasoline for the domestic market and so on.

There's no guarantee that they'll even care about the domestic economy in Iraq if they take power. The Taliban certainly didn't when it took control of Afghanistan, and neither did the the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

Besides which, even if a group like ISIS were to opt to sell the oil, they might jack up the prices beyond reasonable levels in an attempt to send the global economy into a tailspin. That's what OPEC tried to do in the 1970s, and basically what Saddam's MO for ensuring his own position before 1990 happened to be as well.

I don't think I'm getting my point across or you're disagreeing with my point but not saying so.

The markets can't afford for that oil to stop flowing and NEITHER can the entity which controls the oil. We need they oil, they need the money. Let ISIS take control, they still need to govern the land that they control. People still need to eat, people still need to earn income. Oil is manna there.

What we're talking about here is the skim, as the mob used to say. There are costs to pump the oil, costs to keep the infrastructure running and maintained, costs to administration, etc then there are the subsidies for food and gasoline, there are the costs of importing gasoline for the domestic market and so on.

There's no guarantee that they'll even care about the domestic economy in Iraq if they take power. The Taliban certainly didn't when it took control of Afghanistan, and neither did the the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

Besides which, even if a group like ISIS were to opt to sell the oil, they might jack up the prices beyond reasonable levels in an attempt to send the global economy into a tailspin. That's what OPEC tried to do in the 1970s, and basically what Saddam's MO for ensuring his own position before 1990 happened to be as well.

I really wouldn't put anything past ISIS. I think that certain extremist groups hate the idea that they have to deal with the rest of the modern world, and would just like isolate themselves. They hate us, and they hate our way of life.

I really wouldn't put anything past ISIS. I think that certain extremist groups hate the idea that they have to deal with the rest of the modern world, and would just like isolate themselves. They hate us, and they hate our way of life.

Exactly. That's what the Taliban did, after all.

It's a huge mess over there that we probably wouldn't want to have to deal with anyways.

You might find this interesting. Some of it is pretty obvious stuff, but still interesting.

Four Facts About a Strategy to Defeat ISIS The American Spectator

You might find this interesting. Some of it is pretty obvious stuff, but still interesting.

Good article. :)

I agree. If Iraq is ever going to work as a country, they are going to have to put together a government capable of appealing to all ethnic groups.

If that doesn't work, they might frankly be better off just splitting up into three smaller countries; one Kurdish, one Shia, and one Sunni.

I agree. If Iraq is ever going to work as a country, they are going to have to put together a government capable of appealing to all ethnic groups.

If that doesn't work, they might frankly be better off just splitting up into three smaller countries; one Kurdish, one Shia, and one Sunni.

They should just have a secular government that doesn't favor anyone, but I don't think that would go over well either. I think that, even if they did split into separate territories, they would still be fighting about something. :rolleyes-41:

That's why it's tempting to want to just go there and take over and say, screw all of you children! Lol!

They should just have a secular government that doesn't favor anyone, but I don't think that would go over well either. I think that, even if they did split into separate territories, they would still be fighting about something. :rolleyes-41:

That's why it's tempting to want to just go there and take over and say, screw all of you children! Lol!

They can't have a secular government. Go look at their US written constitution and search out what it says about Islam.

Did you every respond to my scenario about how you'd feel being forced to marry your male cousin? That's the equivalent of your proposal to reform those cultures. They're tribal. They haven't had the many centuries of influence we've had in having our culture shaped by the Catholics in Europe since the fall of the Roman Empire. The cultural divergence goes back even further in history than that.

Should we go after the oil, or at least take temporary long-term control over the oil fields in such places as Iraq, after fighting a war and claiming victory? I think about what has happened in Iraq, and why did we listen to the new leader of Iraq? I think we should have taken control of the country and the oil, at least on a temporary basis (if not permanent if need be) until they can prove that they are going to behave like adults and be able to control and protect it adequately. What do you say and why?

For those who disagree about just moving in and taking control . . . why? Why do you oppose the US going in and taking over regions of the world (particularly in the ME) where there is a LOT of oil (therefore a lot of opportunity to cause global mayhem) at stake? Thankfully, most of them are just too greedy to cut everyone off, but with the crazy insurgents running around, who knows what could happen.
Are you fucking drunk?

Do you live in a goddamn cocoon?

I have NEVER done this before...

but you have just earned yourself THREE bitch-slaps...

:slap: :slap: :slap:

Should we go after the oil, or at least take temporary long-term control over the oil fields in such places as Iraq, after fighting a war and claiming victory? I think about what has happened in Iraq, and why did we listen to the new leader of Iraq? I think we should have taken control of the country and the oil, at least on a temporary basis (if not permanent if need be) until they can prove that they are going to behave like adults and be able to control and protect it adequately. What do you say and why?

For those who disagree about just moving in and taking control . . . why? Why do you oppose the US going in and taking over regions of the world (particularly in the ME) where there is a LOT of oil (therefore a lot of opportunity to cause global mayhem) at stake? Thankfully, most of them are just too greedy to cut everyone off, but with the crazy insurgents running around, who knows what could happen.
Are you fucking drunk?

That is not going to do. You have to explain why you oppose it. We certainly have to military might to do it if we really wanted to. Since we've left the region, things have fallen apart pretty quickly.

Are you fucking drunk?

And control your rude outbursts please. Save that crap for the sewer.

They can't have a secular government. Go look at their US written constitution and search out what it says about Islam.

Did you every respond to my scenario about how you'd feel being forced to marry your male cousin? That's the equivalent of your proposal to reform those cultures. They're tribal. They haven't had the many centuries of influence we've had in having our culture shaped by the Catholics in Europe since the fall of the Roman Empire. The cultural divergence goes back even further in history than that.

We should have written the rules. This is what happens when you let children run things. They turn into disasters.

Are you fucking drunk?

Sh'up, bitch. :slap:

Are you fucking drunk?

That is not going to do. You have to explain why you oppose it. We certainly have to military might to do it if we really wanted to. Since we've left the region, things have fallen apart pretty quickly.
Your reference to oil carries no merit whatsoever. THAT is my explanation.

Are you fucking drunk?

Your reference to oil carries no merit whatsoever. THAT is my explanation.

:lame2:

Yes it does. Oil is an important commodity. One of the Most important, as a matter of fact. We are letting thugs control a portion of it. That's just crazy.

Are you fucking drunk?

Sh'up, bitch. :slap:

Just be glad you're behind the safety of your computer. :cheeky-smiley-018: I could probably beat you down old man! :biggrin:

I also think we should not give aid to another country unless they offer us something GRAND in return. Oh, you want protection from the US? What's in it for US? Lol! Instead of being the world's sugar daddy, we can be the world's Godfather. :biggrin:

We should have written the rules. This is what happens when you let children run things. They turn into disasters.

The Coalition Provisional Authority selected every member who sat on the Iraqi Governing Council, who wrote the constitution.

You may as well put out of your imagination an outcome where we impose Western values and principles on any nation in that region. It never works.

Heck, white people in America have been trying for a hundred years to turn black people into dark skinned white people and blacks aren't buying into that, they still retain a distinctive culture.

Forum List

Back