The ONE issue with which I fully agree with Trump...

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
As both a democrat and liberal progressive, I fully agree with one of Trump's ideas that, unfortunately, has a slim chance of ever being adopted, and that is TERM LIMITS for all elected officials, especially those in the US Congress.

Career politicians are a bane on our democracy, and fully realizing that some decent politicians would be ousted in the process of term limits, many of our governmental woes (such as corruption, lobbying, nepotism and revolving door, cozy appointments) could be curtailed.

Trump is an idiot....of that I have no doubt.....but as the old saying states, even a broken clock .....well, you know the rest.

As both a democrat and liberal progressive, I fully agree with one of Trump's ideas that, unfortunately, has a slim chance of ever being adopted, and that is TERM LIMITS for all elected officials, especially those in the US Congress.

Career politicians are a bane on our democracy, and fully realizing that some decent politicians would be ousted in the process of term limits, many of our governmental woes (such as corruption, lobbying, nepotism and revolving door, cozy appointments) could be curtailed.

Trump is an idiot....of that I have no doubt.....but as the old saying states, even a broken clock .....well, you know the rest.

Tack on a 5 year ban on lobbying for any departing politician and you have a start.

i thought you were going to say you agree with Trump that hillary is a cruel, corrupt, crooked lawyer/liar.

sorry, my bad. it's a great thread though...

Tack on a 5 year ban on lobbying for any departing politician and you have a start.
i like lobbying bans, term limits not so much

As both a democrat and liberal progressive, I fully agree with one of Trump's ideas that, unfortunately, has a slim chance of ever being adopted, and that is TERM LIMITS for all elected officials, especially those in the US Congress.t.

I support term limits too but i hope you realize its a nanny state proposal. You're saying the voters need to be protected from their own bad judgement.

The Republicans pretended they wanted term limits in 1994 too, their so-called contract with America. It's political horseshit by politicians for political purposes.

i like lobbying bans, term limits not so much

I'd agree but the whole issue of "free speech" would have to be addressed, However, term limits set a tacit contract that an elected official has less time to be corrupted by a system susceptible and easily tempted by large funding donors for re-election.

then you should vote for trump, even if you think he's an idiot. there's no way the term limits amendment will make it into the constitution without some progressive deal sweeteners. now you now that going into it, you know that no one is going to just give a president trump whatever he wants, and the dnc can stall the momentum on a constitutional amendment for at least 101 days, so what is it that you want included along with term limits in your amendment? how hard of a bargain? maybe electoral college reform, maybe the federal initiative/referendum powers. don't let some propaganda lies about pussy grabbing distract you from getting what you want.

then you should vote for trump, even if you think he's an idiot. there's no way the term limits amendment will make it into the constitution without some progressive deal sweeteners. now you now that going into it, you know that no one is going to just give a president trump whatever he wants, and the dnc can stall the momentum on a constitutional amendment for at least 101 days, so what is it that you want included along with term limits in your amendment? how hard of a bargain? maybe electoral college reform, maybe the federal initiative/referendum powers. don't let some propaganda lies about pussy grabbing distract you from getting what you want.

Only a full frontal lobotomy would make me vote for Trump...his insecurities are too dangerous to the country's welfare.

I disagree that it's career politicians which are the root of the problem. I think it's lobbyists and the high costs of running for office. From the day they're sworn in, Congressmen/women and Senators have to spend half their days fundraising. The necessity to raise funds for re-election leaves politicians open to corruption.

Find a different way to fund election campaigns, and ban "donations" from special interest groups, and corruption disappears without terms limits.

There will always be corrupt politicians, but right now, it's corruption made easy. It should be harder to buy power.

I disagree that it's career politicians which are the root of the problem. I think it's lobbyists and the high costs of running for office. From the day they're sworn in, Congressmen/women and Senators have to spend half their days fundraising. The necessity to raise funds for re-election leaves politicians open to corruption.

Find a different way to fund election campaigns, and ban "donations" from special interest groups, and corruption disappears without terms limits.

There will always be corrupt politicians, but right now, it's corruption made easy. It should be harder to buy power.

I agree about the high cost of reelections...ergo, once that "temptation" of wanting to be re-elected is removed, the so-called donations (aka legalized "bribing") are voided.

Your idea is unenforcable. Define lobbying? THINK

Simple. No contact with current occupants of the position you held. So if you were a Senator, you cannot go near current senators.
meh. you can't take away someone's ability to contact their reps.

but i think it'd be pretty easy to say that getting paid to lobby is a pretty clear line

I long for the day when some elected official who appears at some interview, and based on a "D" or an "R" after his or her name, will no longer have me know exactly what they're going to spew.

You need a constitution amendment . And that wouldn't change shit .

Better to focus on amendment getting money out of politics.

Simple. No contact with current occupants of the position you held. So if you were a Senator, you cannot go near current senators.

but i think it'd be pretty easy to say that getting paid to lobby is a pretty clear line

It's a very specific limit. If you want to be able to lobby, don't hold office.

We need strict term limits for sure. Congress was never meant to be a career and the country suffers greatly for it

It's a very specific limit. If you want to be able to lobby, don't hold office.

Yes. I sold my business in June. I signed a non-compete with the new owner for two years in RTP. Clearly selling influence is against the interest of the people, makes sense like the rest of us have to do

Forum List

Back