The Poverty Excuse

If some kids in that suburb decided to shoplift a candy bar would that crime cause that affluent area to be impoverished?
It should be a crime in any neighborhood

that does not mean throw the book at kids for stealing candy bars

but dont pat them on the head with no consequences either

and maybe more so in the ghetto cause those kids have a narrower window of oppertunity

Show me where I have excused my own behavior or anyone else's?

I don't

I did what i did because it was the only option I could see at the time.

Denying that poverty can and does cause crime is ridiculous and that has been my point all along

I have not directly condemned your behavior

that was your story and you can tell it the way you want to

Nor did I deny that poverty contributes to crime

but we do disagree on how and why

kids in poor neighborhoods grow up around adults who made poor choices in life themselves and never escaped the poverty

kids imitate their elders and often turn to stealing as an accepted activity

I have not directly condemned your behavior

that was your story and you can tell it the way you want to

Nor did I deny that poverty contributes to crime

but we do disagree on how and why

kids in poor neighborhoods grow up around adults who made poor choices in life themselves and never escaped the poverty

kids imitate their elders and often turn to stealing as an accepted activity

I disagree.

When circumstances change people do not continue stealing to survive. I am proof of that and I have seen it countless times

During the Great Depression, with much of the United States mired in grinding poverty and unemployment, some Americans found increased opportunities in criminal activities like bootlegging, robbing banks, loan-sharking—even murder.

Criminal activity was illegal then, Seattle wants to make a lot of it acceptable. Time were different then, most of the country wasn't as mobile as it is now. So, if you stole something, people knew who you were and you didn't get away with it. Seattle wants to change that. Throw in the fact the Seattle and other cities want to defund the police, right? How does anyone not see the writing on the wall?
How would you like to be heading up Economic Development for Seattle trying to attract businesses to locate there? Relaxing criminal law while defunding the police. Yea, that's a great incentive.

When circumstances change people do not continue stealing to survive.
You mean stealing to buy drugs, Nike shoes, gold teeth, and “walking around money”

we throw hundreds of billions at the ghetto and no one starves, not even the most zonked out junkies

You mean stealing to buy drugs, Nike shoes, gold teeth, and “walking around money”

we throw hundreds of billions at the ghetto and no one starves, not even the most zonked out junkies

you'd be surprised how many hungry kids there are in the "ghetto"

Would they still do that as much if they could obtain unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States?

Up for debate is a reform proposed by Seattle City Councilmember Lisa Herbold. For up to 100 different misdemeanor crimes, including theft, harassment, shoplifting, trespassing, and more, an individual could be excused if he or she claims poverty was their motive.

“In a situation where you took that sandwich because you were hungry and you were trying to meet your basic need of satisfying your hunger; we as the community will know that we should not punish that,” King County Director of Public Defense Anita Khandelwal said of the proposal, which she helped craft. “That conduct is excused.”

The intent of the proposal is to avoid punishing desperate people just trying to survive. But the provision exempts not only stealing food or similar necessities, but stealing anything—if you claim the money gained from its sale would be used for essentials.

First and foremost, this policy would obviously incentivize more crime and more theft.

Words fail to adequately describe the idiocy behind such proposals. If you want something, steal it and if you get caught plead poverty and cry me a river. This is basically anarchy, who could operate a business under such rules? Somebody breaks into your business and steals you blind and nothing happens. Or they burn the place down citing BLM. Geez, such a beautiful place that is on the fast track to being a shithole city.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, did a lot of people engage in looting and robbery?

Absolutely.

10 Famous Depression-era Bank Robbers - Listverse

I'll address the elephant in the room...white America is extremely law abiding, respect for law and order is deeply imbedded in our culture.
NO...criminality is not a poverty thing...look to all white Appalachia for proof.

• In 2014 in New York City, a black was 31 times more likely than a white to be arrested for murder, and a Hispanic was 12.4 times more likely.
For the crime of “shooting”—defined as firing a bullet that hits someone—a black was 98.4 times more likely than a white to be arrested, and a Hispanic was 23.6 times more likely. • If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
• In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.

73859452.jpg

Would they still do that as much if they could obtain unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States?
what do you think welfare is?

Up for debate is a reform proposed by Seattle City Councilmember Lisa Herbold. For up to 100 different misdemeanor crimes, including theft, harassment, shoplifting, trespassing, and more, an individual could be excused if he or she claims poverty was their motive.

“In a situation where you took that sandwich because you were hungry and you were trying to meet your basic need of satisfying your hunger; we as the community will know that we should not punish that,” King County Director of Public Defense Anita Khandelwal said of the proposal, which she helped craft. “That conduct is excused.”

The intent of the proposal is to avoid punishing desperate people just trying to survive. But the provision exempts not only stealing food or similar necessities, but stealing anything—if you claim the money gained from its sale would be used for essentials.

First and foremost, this policy would obviously incentivize more crime and more theft.

Words fail to adequately describe the idiocy behind such proposals. If you want something, steal it and if you get caught plead poverty and cry me a river. This is basically anarchy, who could operate a business under such rules? Somebody breaks into your business and steals you blind and nothing happens. Or they burn the place down citing BLM. Geez, such a beautiful place that is on the fast track to being a shithole city.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, did a lot of people engage in looting and robbery?

Absolutely.

I'll address the elephant in the room...white America is extremely law abiding, respect for law and order is deeply imbedded in our culture.
NO...criminality is not a poverty thing...look to all white Appalachia for proof.

• In 2014 in New York City, a black was 31 times more likely than a white to be arrested for murder, and a Hispanic was 12.4 times more likely.
For the crime of “shooting”—defined as firing a bullet that hits someone—a black was 98.4 times more likely than a white to be arrested, and a Hispanic was 23.6 times more likely. • If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
• In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.

73859452.jpg

What was Trump's excuse for ripping people off?

Greed. Poverty and greed are the two biggest contributor's to crime.

“At-will employment in at-will employment states”

who else besides you speaks that dialect of Liberish?

but i think I savvy your lingo

let me see if I do

you have a 27 year old loser with a BA in gender studies working as a soda jerk at Starbucks

and he wants to go hiking in the desert for a month but cant afford to leave his job unless he gets paid unemployment insurance

which the state will not do

And all I can say is thank goodness

Last edited:

Absolutely.

73859452.jpg

How did he rip people off?
Aren't we talking about how poverty correlates with crime?
Why is there such little crime in poverty stricken predominantly white Appalachia?

Absolutely.

73859452.jpg

Why is there such little crime in poverty stricken predominantly white Appalachia?
While crime in Appalachia is low compared to national averages (see Exhibit l), part of
this is due to the predominately nonmetropolitan character of the Region. Crime levels in
nonmetropolitan areas in every part of the country are almost always well below those of
metropolitan locations.--https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/189560.pdf

It has nothing to do with the color of your skin.

Last edited:

what do you think welfare is?
Definitely not a solution. Means testing is not the same as actually solving for economic phenomena.

“At-will employment in at-will employment states”

who else besides you speaks that dialect of Liberish?

but i think I savvy your lingo

let me see if I do

you have a 27 year old loser with a BA in gender studies working as a soda jerk at Starbucks

and he wants to go hiking in the desert for a month but cant afford to leave his job unless he gets paid unemployment insurance

which the state will not do

And all I can say is thank goodness
You simply have no solutions. Why blame the Poor.

Absolutely.

73859452.jpg

No big cities in Appalachia?

Absolutely.

73859452.jpg

While crime in Appalachia is low compared to national averages (see Exhibit l), part of
this is due to the predominately nonmetropolitan character of the Region. Crime levels in
nonmetropolitan areas in every part of the country are almost always well below those of
metropolitan locations.--https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/189560.pdf

WOW, high ironic.....dark people don't live in rural areas where there is little crime.
Hmmm....who would have thought.

Forum List

Back