The Poverty Excuse

During the Great Depression, with much of the United States mired in grinding poverty and unemployment, some Americans found increased opportunities in criminal activities like bootlegging, robbing banks, loan-sharking—even murder.

Criminal activity was illegal then, Seattle wants to make a lot of it acceptable. Time were different then, most of the country wasn't as mobile as it is now. So, if you stole something, people knew who you were and you didn't get away with it. Seattle wants to change that. Throw in the fact the Seattle and other cities want to defund the police, right? How does anyone not see the writing on the wall?

Criminal activity has long been legal for the rich. Did Trump go to prison for his theft?

What a useless deflection.

The reason for a criminal justice system is to take justice from the victims of a crime, and let the State handle it. If the State decides to relinquish that job, then it goes back to the people.

So the people should have resorting to stringing Trump up?

Talk about not wanting to debate the actual topic at hand.

I stated exactly what I think. I'm absolutely OK with it. We are not supposed to have a two tiered justice system.

I believe that all should be treated equally, however that has to be done.

Until it's your shit being stolen.

So how are businesses supposed to handle the deluge of shoplifters that will occur if said shoplifters know they can claim poverty?

I suppose what they do is support a justice system that treats everyone equally.

I look forward to the next round of whining about "food deserts".

Also, what happens when some shop owner decides that he is willing to protect his property with force?

What happens when the only shops surviving, are ones owned by such people?

Exactly, why open or keep open a retail business in a rough neighborhood if the government is going to let petty crime slide?

It is something fewer and fewer will be doing. Adn the ones that are there, will be more heavily targetted.

And it is only a matter of time to the next round of riots.

During the Great Depression, with much of the United States mired in grinding poverty and unemployment, some Americans found increased opportunities in criminal activities like bootlegging, robbing banks, loan-sharking—even murder.

Criminal activity was illegal then, Seattle wants to make a lot of it acceptable. Time were different then, most of the country wasn't as mobile as it is now. So, if you stole something, people knew who you were and you didn't get away with it. Seattle wants to change that. Throw in the fact the Seattle and other cities want to defund the police, right? How does anyone not see the writing on the wall?

Criminal activity has long been legal for the rich. Did Trump go to prison for his theft?

The reason for a criminal justice system is to take justice from the victims of a crime, and let the State handle it. If the State decides to relinquish that job, then it goes back to the people.

I stated exactly what I think. I'm absolutely OK with it. We are not supposed to have a two tiered justice system.

So how are businesses supposed to handle the deluge of shoplifters that will occur if said shoplifters know they can claim poverty?

I suppose what they do is support a justice system that treats everyone equally.

Also, what happens when some shop owner decides that he is willing to protect his property with force?

An owner can protect his property but I have no idea how they relates to what I said.

So it is ok for the thief to steal AND it is ok for the shop owner to use force to stop him?

Is it ok for the thief to use force to steal?

Do you envision cops showing to the aftermath of gun battles and finding it to be just fine, nothing to see here, this is the new normal?

And does that change if the shop owner is white?

Depends on the force.

A kid stealing a candy bar is not a threat to the store clerk's life.

A kid stealing a candy bar and the government giving him a pass on it is a threat to some other clerk's life years later because said kid is being "told" that stealing is OK.

I disagree. I didn't graduate to a life of crime because I stole a candy bar because it was all I had to eat that day.

No one was going to put a 14 year old kid in jail for lifting a candy bar.

The woman that came up with this is a moron.

Its okay to steal if you are poor?? I'll just stand over here and LMFAO.
It might not be OK but sometimes it is just plain old survival.

I know from experience

in jail you get three meals a day, just given to you.

If DEATH is the alternative, then not arresting the thieves is not doing them any favors.

How much time do you suppose a 14 year old will get for stealing a bag of chips because he hadn't eaten all day?

I have no idea, and if you think that is the average shoplifter, you never worked in retail.

Shoplifters are more often drug addicts looking for something they can sell or trade for drugs.

I never mentioned anyone who stole for profit.

I said that for some poverty is a real reason to commit a crime. I used myself as an example. I never stole a lot of merchandise to sell on the streets.

I shoplifted because I would often go hungry.

It's so easy for you to lump the hungry kid who steals pop tarts with the people who steal multiple expensive items of clothing from a department store because you cannot or do not want to believe that sometimes the poor have to make a choice. Obey the law or go hungry.

When I started selling weed I didn't shoplift because I didn't have to but I suppose you'll equate me with Pablo Escobar because I sold nickel and dime bags of weed so I could have money to buy a winter coat right?

Don't judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes

You assume I have never been poor? Amusing.

The law will be used by drug addicts shoplifting.

Laws are made by some people, and if they stay on the books end up getting used by other people often for reasons or for ends that are very, very different from the stated reasons for the law.

Have you ever had to steal just so you could eat one thing in a day?

I was a teenager on the streets. I could not get a job at 14 and I could not stand to spend time in the foster hell house I was stuck in when my drug addict mother died of an overdose.

But you go ahead and tell me how I could have got a legit job and earned enough money to eat 3 meals a day when I was 14

Sounds like the solution is to fix what we do with orphans, not to teach them that it is ok to steal.

And who taught me it was OK to steal?

I never said it was OK but it was the only way I could eat sometimes.

WHen I started selling weed I no longer shoplifted because then I at least had a reliable source of money. Then when i got a legit job I stopped slinging weed.

I broke the law but when I did it was because I had no option

You couldn’t get a job at McDonalds? You couldn’t move to a place where the cost of living was much lower? Panhandle enough money for a bus ticket from your high cost area to a lower cost area. Interview for a job at McDonalds. Unless you have a disability which prevents you from doing this, I don’t see an excuse.

An owner can protect his property but I have no idea how they relates to what I said.

So it is ok for the thief to steal AND it is ok for the shop owner to use force to stop him?

Do you envision cops showing to the aftermath of gun battles and finding it to be just fine, nothing to see here, this is the new normal?

Depends on the force.

A hundred "kids" stealing thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, is a threat to his livelihood.

again when do 100 kids enter a store at the same time outside of a riot?

A store owner can prevent a single kid from shoplifting if he's paying attention.

But do you deny that for some that stealing can be an act of survival?

Like I said when I was a teen sometimes the only thing I ate in a day was the bag of chips, or a candy bar I could pocket. I guess i should have been shot for that huh?

Funny, it is so easy for a store owner to stop, then how did you pull it off?

I got caught plenty of times but I was faster than the clerk who didn't want to chase me for the cost of a candy bar

But there were days I still had to eat something so even though I would get caught sometimes I still needed to eat something

So, you dropping that 'easy to stop" claim?
no because i still got caught by the people who were paying attention. After a while you get to know the clerks who are stoned or who would real a magazine at the register instead of doing their jobs

Sure. Some poor clerk is bored and that makes it ok to steal.
Where did i say it was OK?

I said that there were times the only thing I ate in a day was a candy bar I could pocket.

You want to deny that poverty is a cause for not all but some crime

The bit where you shift responsibility to the clerk. That is implicitly stating that the actions of the thief are not to blame, ie OK.

Perhaps your guilt is making it hard for you to be objective.

Where did I ever say that?

You asked me how I got away with it. I told you.

And I don't have any guilt. I will not apologize for stealing a 50 cent candy bar because it was the only thing I would eat that day. I was 14 and it was survival.

You don't or refuse to understand that some people are put in a situation where they can see no alternative

No soup kitchens? No churches?

I call bullshit.

I know from experience

If DEATH is the alternative, then not arresting the thieves is not doing them any favors.

How much time do you suppose a 14 year old will get for stealing a bag of chips because he hadn't eaten all day?

I have no idea, and if you think that is the average shoplifter, you never worked in retail.

Shoplifters are more often drug addicts looking for something they can sell or trade for drugs.

I said that for some poverty is a real reason to commit a crime. I used myself as an example. I never stole a lot of merchandise to sell on the streets.

It's so easy for you to lump the hungry kid who steals pop tarts with the people who steal multiple expensive items of clothing from a department store because you cannot or do not want to believe that sometimes the poor have to make a choice. Obey the law or go hungry.

When I started selling weed I didn't shoplift because I didn't have to but I suppose you'll equate me with Pablo Escobar because I sold nickel and dime bags of weed so I could have money to buy a winter coat right?

Laws are made by some people, and if they stay on the books end up getting used by other people often for reasons or for ends that are very, very different from the stated reasons for the law.

I was a teenager on the streets. I could not get a job at 14 and I could not stand to spend time in the foster hell house I was stuck in when my drug addict mother died of an overdose.

But you go ahead and tell me how I could have got a legit job and earned enough money to eat 3 meals a day when I was 14

Sounds like the solution is to fix what we do with orphans, not to teach them that it is ok to steal.

WHen I started selling weed I no longer shoplifted because then I at least had a reliable source of money. Then when i got a legit job I stopped slinging weed.

You couldn’t get a job at McDonalds? You couldn’t move to a place where the cost of living was much lower? Panhandle enough money for a bus ticket from your high cost area to a lower cost area. Interview for a job at McDonalds. Unless you have a disability which prevents you from doing this, I don’t see an excuse.

I know it should have been easy right?

I am trying to give you people an instance where poverty does contribute to crime and that some petty crimes are committed by people who see no option, like a 14 year old kid avoiding an abusive foster home.
You sure picked the most extreme example possible to excuse petty crime

what are the odds of someone dying of hunger if they dont have that candy bar?

1 out of a hundred?

1 out of 10,000 who are that desperate with no other options before them?

Depends on the force.

A kid stealing a candy bar and the government giving him a pass on it is a threat to some other clerk's life years later because said kid is being "told" that stealing is OK.

I disagree. I didn't graduate to a life of crime because I stole a candy bar because it was all I had to eat that day.

No one was going to put a 14 year old kid in jail for lifting a candy bar.

If you had not eaten all day and you stole a candy bar maybe you were too stupid to get into a life a crime, and that's saying something because 99% of criminals are idiots.

I doubt you were in that situation, more than likely you are just rationalizing stealing something.

Depends on the force.

A hundred "kids" stealing thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, is a threat to his livelihood.

A store owner can prevent a single kid from shoplifting if he's paying attention.

Like I said when I was a teen sometimes the only thing I ate in a day was the bag of chips, or a candy bar I could pocket. I guess i should have been shot for that huh?

I got caught plenty of times but I was faster than the clerk who didn't want to chase me for the cost of a candy bar

But there were days I still had to eat something so even though I would get caught sometimes I still needed to eat something

no because i still got caught by the people who were paying attention. After a while you get to know the clerks who are stoned or who would real a magazine at the register instead of doing their jobs

I said that there were times the only thing I ate in a day was a candy bar I could pocket.

The bit where you shift responsibility to the clerk. That is implicitly stating that the actions of the thief are not to blame, ie OK.

And I don't have any guilt. I will not apologize for stealing a 50 cent candy bar because it was the only thing I would eat that day. I was 14 and it was survival.

You don't or refuse to understand that some people are put in a situation where they can see no alternative

I call bullshit.

Wow you sound just like Scrooge

Re there no prisons, no work houses?

YEah I wanted to mingle with the mentally ill homeless and other predators that hung around the shelters. It was safer to steal a candy bar

Depends on the force.

I got caught plenty of times but I was faster than the clerk who didn't want to chase me for the cost of a candy bar a lot of those times I would just drop it and run as well

But there were days I still had to eat something so even though I would get caught sometimes I would still try

I call Bull Shit!
you refuse to believe what you cannot understand.

I'll tell you my story if you want. you already got some of it here.

lol, you can tell me anything you want anonymously on the internet....Doesn’t mean I have to believe it....So, can the Oliver Twist reenactment and just be honest.

So then why are you wasting time responding to me?

If you refuse to believe that some people have had absolutely no control over their circumstances that they are forced to do things to survive then you are not only naive but ignorant

Not saying that....but I am saying your story here is made up.

I am trying to give you people an instance where poverty does contribute to crime and that some petty crimes are committed by people who see no option, like a 14 year old kid avoiding an abusive foster home.
You sure picked the most extreme example possible to excuse petty crime

what are the odds of someone dying of hunger if they dont have that candy bar?

1 out of a hundred?

1 out of 10,000 who are that desperate with no other options before them?

It was real to me.

Depends on the force.

I got caught plenty of times but I was faster than the clerk who didn't want to chase me for the cost of a candy bar a lot of those times I would just drop it and run as well

But there were days I still had to eat something so even though I would get caught sometimes I would still try

I call Bull Shit!

lol, you can tell me anything you want anonymously on the internet....Doesn’t mean I have to believe it....So, can the Oliver Twist reenactment and just be honest.

If you refuse to believe that some people have had absolutely no control over their circumstances that they are forced to do things to survive then you are not only naive but ignorant

And you're wrong.

You refuse to believe me because you think it just can't happen.

Depends on the force.

I call Bull Shit!

And you're wrong.

Nah, it can happen, but it didn’t happen to you.

I know from experience

I know it should have been easy right?

I can ASSURE you that you could put me in that situation and I would absolutely be able to get out of it without stealing. I can think of 100 ways to make enough money to eat. There are soup kitchens to hold me over until I had my own money. There needs to be a reality show that does such.

I could get 3 min. wage jobs before noon today if I so desired.

It was real to me.
You did say that the op went too far excusing petty crime

but so did you

because how does your personal example fit into the thousands of criminals stealing anything they can get their hands on?

Depends on the force.

I call Bull Shit!

And you're wrong.

Nah, it can happen, but it didn’t happen to you.
Ah I see

You know everything about me.

Depends on the force.

I call bullshit.

YEah I wanted to mingle with the mentally ill homeless and other predators that hung around the shelters. It was safer to steal a candy bar

And that's the mentality of a criminal, whatever is easier and fuck anyone else.

Depends on the force.

I call bullshit.

And that's the mentality of a criminal, whatever is easier and fuck anyone else.

It is the predominate attitude of Democrats. Whatever is best for them at the moment. They don’t think past step one.

It was real to me.
You did say that the op went too far excusing petty crime

but so did you

because how does your personal example fit into the thousands of criminals stealing anything they can get their hands on?

I said that people want to deny that poverty does contribute to crime. I gave an example that I lived when I was a kid.

Poverty does contribute to crime ask any sociologist.

And if you can't see the difference between a person who will steal thousands of dollars worth of merchandisto sell and a person who steals a sandwich because he was hungry then There is no point in discussing it.

It seems you people like to live in a world of absolutes

Depends on the force.

I call bullshit.

and yet I stopped shoplifting when I was 15 why is that do you suppose?

But I guess I was still a criminal because I sold a little weed to make money but then again I only did that until I got a legit job.

Why do you refuse to even think that some people can see no option under dire circumstances?

Depends on the force.

I call bullshit.

It is the predominate attitude of Democrats. Whatever is best for them at the moment. They don’t think past step one.
Yeah I was a registered democ rat at 14

FYI not a democrat never was a democrat

Forum List

Back