The Pretense of Education during this pandemic

"informal poll" = my daughter-in-law, a HS French teacher, my wife's golf partner, a special ed teacher in a nearby school district (not referring to her own students, whose grades are merely made-up in any event), my son's friend, a teacher at a third district. All believe that serious grading will be non-existent for the duration.
More hearsay and conjecture which proves nothing but it is gossip.

An informal polling of local school teachers reveals an appalling abandonment of any semblance of academic rigor in the coming academic year - not to mention or address the one recently passed.

Specifically, teachers are being told to "pass" students who score at least a "50" on their exams in the coming year. And even this minimal standard will surely be breached and abandoned when parents are confronted with their little darlings being "asked" to repeat a grade. In summary, this coming academic year will be a joke, but will be counted as a legitimate academic year of learning. Then, when things get back to normal, they will sit in classrooms one September in the future without having learned what they were required to learn in the previous academic year. They will either be lost - as in math and sciences - or otherwise unprepared. Their education will be like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple pieces missing.

Certainly, there will be some kids who will studiously keep up with their academics during the coming school year, but at least half will be sitting at home playing video games and will learn nothing. Do you teach to the level of the former group or the latter? It is a true conundrum.

To any teacher who happens to read this, please explain why i am wrong.

You're not completely wrong but here are some thoughts based on my experience:

-You ALWAYS have kids of differing abilities and skills. Differentiating instruction is something we're ALWAYS evaluated on. The upcoming school years will be no different. Personally I'll adjust like I usually do (the lower level kids get a few more nudges in the right direction than the higher level kids-whom honestly usually don't want it in the first place).

-I've work at two schools-one in extreme poverty and one middle class. I've worked for 4 different principals. I've had classes where 1/3 of the students failed because they refused to do the work to earn it. I have NEVER been told I have to pass ANY kid for ANY reason. I teach a core class that's required for graduation-so the stakes in my class are high.

-In the interest of being honest and full disclosure I will admit that the curve on the district wide exam is extremely high and a 50% on the exam will probably give a kid a passing grade on the exam. This curve is created by the district-NOT teachers-and we have zero influence on exam grades anyways. A student either gets a certain amount of questions right or they don't.

-The 4th quarter of this past year I saw no significant difference in student output. The students that usually complete their work in a brick and mortar classroom completed it online-the ones that don't did not. Actually more students completed their work because mom and dad could track their work more easily.

-Those kids who're going to sit home and play videos all day (and neglect their studies) do the same thing at school.

Finally online learning is not ideal for me. My style is very unorthodox and really requires a brick and mortar atmosphere for me to get 100% what I'd like from a class. With that said last quarter after I hit my stride (it was a learning process for the students and myself alike as none of us were prepared for it), I think I got to about 80% as good as a brick and mortar setting. After that experience I'm confident I can get it up to 90% or so.

It will never replace a brick and mortar and I assure you that I love teaching students face to face and the overwhelming majority of my students both love/enjoy my class and learn a lot at the same time. I'd rather be in the classroom, they'd rather be in the classroom....but at the moment my district has no plan. Literally I have no idea what my classes are going to be, whether I'm teaching online or brick and mortar, who my students will be, etc. and class starts in less than a month. That's just the academic portion...the health and safety portion? Forget it. There's absolutely no way to socially distance in my hallway or classroom.

I want to go back to brick and mortar. I enjoy it more, I'm better at it, the students get more from it, and quite frankly it's A LOT less work (since online learning requires me to redo virtually all of my classes)....but at the current moment there is no academic or health/safety plan in place and it's looking like it's going to be a disaster either way.

Three different school districts represented in my "informal poll." My school district has the second highest teacher salaries in the state and is rated one of the top five academically in the state. Yeah, it's fucked up. That's why they can't build housing fast enough to satisfy the demand.

You moron.

I teach in one of the 10 largest districts in the nation. I have never been told to pass any student for any reason.

I'm not blaming the teachers. Or their unions. What ever gave you that idea?

What I'm pointing out is that it will be IMPOSSIBLE to provide an acceptable level of education under the CV-19 constraints, and the teachers WILL BE DIRECTED by the administrators and the school boards to PRETEND that education is actually happening, when it isn't.

And consistent with this concern, I believe that the justifications for closing down the schools are anti-scientific...the kids themselves are in NO DANGER from CV-19, and the teachers, parents, and others who deal with them are in only slightly more jeopardy - similar to what they are exposed to with other common childhood diseases. Indeed, we know who is threatened by this disease and THOSE PEOPLE can take whatever precautions they deem necessary, but closing down the schools because some kid's great grandmother, or a medically-compromised teacher might be made to feel uncomfortable, is fcuking insane! And the TRUE COST of this decision is being either denied or ignored.

Now this I happen to agree with you on...but that also goes for brick and mortar. You think I can teach 30+ kids in a room designed for 20 where everybody will be wearing masks and "socially distancing" and all of the distractions this school year will provide? What happens when students start contracting Covid? I had a student at the end of last year get it right before all the schools went to online learning.

An informal polling of local school teachers reveals an appalling abandonment of any semblance of academic rigor in the coming academic year - not to mention or address the one recently passed.

Specifically, teachers are being told to "pass" students who score at least a "50" on their exams in the coming year. And even this minimal standard will surely be breached and abandoned when parents are confronted with their little darlings being "asked" to repeat a grade. In summary, this coming academic year will be a joke, but will be counted as a legitimate academic year of learning. Then, when things get back to normal, they will sit in classrooms one September in the future without having learned what they were required to learn in the previous academic year. They will either be lost - as in math and sciences - or otherwise unprepared. Their education will be like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple pieces missing.

Certainly, there will be some kids who will studiously keep up with their academics during the coming school year, but at least half will be sitting at home playing video games and will learn nothing. Do you teach to the level of the former group or the latter? It is a true conundrum.

I think they do the same thing even before corona.

You think wrong.

You think wrong.
We stumbled onto a much cheaper way. Sorry can’t afford brick and mortar you’ll see

You think wrong.
We stumbled onto a much cheaper way. Sorry can’t afford brick and mortar you’ll see
We already see that you have no idea what you're talking about - as usual.

The la teachers unions demands for going back included reparations for joggers

You think wrong.
We already see that you have no idea what you're talking about - as usual. It is most certainly not cheaper to ensure every student has a reliable computer and reliable internet access. Is is not cheaper to provide special needs services to every student who needs them when you have to go to each student's home. It is not cheaper to hire the much greater number of teachers needed to teach smaller groups of students online (because with many populations and topics, it is much easier and more effective to teach larger groups in person.

You think wrong.
We already see that you have no idea what you're talking about - as usual.
We will see. Your job is in jeopardy but that’s ok you’re marketable in the private sector right? What will you do?

I also think we have to renig on those pensions you were promised.

You think wrong.
We already see that you have no idea what you're talking about - as usual. It is most certainly not cheaper to ensure every student has a reliable computer and reliable internet access. Is is not cheaper to provide special needs services to every student who needs them when you have to go to each student's home. It is not cheaper to hire the much greater number of teachers needed to teach smaller groups of students online (because with many populations and topics, it is much easier and more effective to teach larger groups in person.
You have it all wrong. Look at university of Phoenix. I used to work for them. Online is much cheaper.

Parents will have to buy tablets unless they are low income

We will see. Your job is in jeopardy....
You really are comfortable making a fool of yourself over and over. If anything, all of this has only served to highlight the vital importance of education. You could use some yourself.

You think wrong.
You have it all wrong. Look at university of Phoenix. I used to work for them. Online is much cheaper.

Parents will have to buy tablets unless they are low income

The University of Phoenix? My daughter-in-law got her degree from there in Criminal Justice. No one would hire her because they knew her degree was horseshit! The VA stripped them of their ability to provide instruction to veterans because they are a fucking scam! You are a criminal if you worked for them.

We will see. Your job is in jeopardy....
You really are comfortable making a fool of yourself over and over. If anything, all of this has only served to highlight the vital importance of education. You could use some yourself.
Actually we are seeing very little difference between how smart our kids are now vs before the pandemic.

In the future if you want brick and mortar you’ll have to send them to private school which is where you’ll be teaching soon.

Forum List

Back