The progressive war on Christmas/Christianity

So? What is that relevant to? The discussion is whether she has the right to do that. Not whether or not you approve of her method.

And she does have the right. Just as we all have the right to proclaim our faith no matter where we happen to be standing.

The 'share the word" part is what irritates most people

jesusq.jpg

Last edited:
So? What is that relevant to? The discussion is whether she has the right to do that. Not whether or not you approve of her method.

And she does have the right. Just as we all have the right to proclaim our faith no matter where we happen to be standing.

No, actually it isn't. You're trying to morph it into that but here's where it started:

All the so-called christians want to do is try and shove their beliefs down others throats.
Just go to your place of worship and pray and sing and do what ever it is you do in your little world.
Do not make this a national epidemic because it is not.

Nothing there about "rights".

No, I established what the rights were by posting the first amendment.

So were you going to make a point? What is your point with the ranting neighbor?

you're really good at bringing irrelevant garbage into the conversation. Does that have something to do with your obscure and repeated references to "anthropology"? Or are you just getting a buzz on?

No, I established what the rights were by posting the first amendment.

So were you going to make a point? What is your point with the ranting neighbor?

Your posting the First Amendment was to some other point, not this one. And you were correct. That time.

The ranting neighbor illustrates the difference between "not hiding" and "shoving down (our) throats". She represents the latter.

No, she represents someone who is possibly breaking the law by disturbing the peace.

Not the same as owning one's faith in public at all.

Meanwhile...look up English Lit!

No, she represents someone who is possibly breaking the law by disturbing the peace.

She has the right to share her faith, however it might be best served through her actions in how she treats others. Meeting a need, showing compassion and comfort towards those that are hurting. After all, Jesus said by this they will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. Our actions should speak louder than our words, so much so that you won't need a T-shirt to demonstrate that for you.

She has the right to share her faith, however it might be best served through her actions in how she treats others. Meeting a need, showing compassion and comfort towards those that are hurting. After all, Jesus said by this they will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. Our actions should speak louder than our words, so much so that you won't need a T-shirt to demonstrate that for you.

She has a right to share her faith, sure, but two things: one, we just got done clarifying that that story isn't about anyone's rights, and two, bellowing nonstop babble from your porch is not "sharing". It's foisting. I'm in my own house down the street; I don't get a choice to turn it off. "Sharing" implies the consent of the recipient.

As for actions louder than words, short of a jet overhead (which is thankfully rare) there aren't any actions around here louder than her words. :eek:

No, it's not foisting, and it's not forcing.

You don't have the right to *turn off* people in the best of times, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Now if you are in your home and you cannot escape her noise, then potentially, it's a criminal matter.

Though probably not. Even dogs aren't considered a nuisance unless they carry on for a certain length of TIME....so it comes down to how much of a disturbance does she create, and can you hear it in your house, and how long does it continue.

None of which has anything to do with the right of people to practice and declare their religion in public, as they see fit.

No, it's not foisting, and it's not forcing.

You don't have the right to *turn off* people in the best of times, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Now if you are in your home and you cannot escape her noise, then potentially, it's a criminal matter.

Though probably not. Even dogs aren't considered a nuisance unless they carry on for a certain length of TIME....so it comes down to how much of a disturbance does she create, and can you hear it in your house, and how long does it continue.

None of which has anything to do with the right of people to practice and declare their religion in public, as they see fit.

You're still off to "rights" with this rhetorical detour. The question was never what she has a right to do; the original comment was what people like her choose to do.

See the difference?

It's not a legal observation but a psychological one. It bespeaks a gnawing skepticism in herself (my neighbor) that she needs to publicly spectaclize it that loudly. The goal seems to be, "if I can just get these neighbors to believe the same silly crap I do, then I might still be wrong but at least I won't be alone".

I find that interesting simply from a psychological aspect. Makes me wonder, if she's that internally conflicted, why can't she just take the next step and let her doubts breathe, and eventually resolve them? I don't know the answer to that. But it's a bizarre scene to watch.

Keep and share your words with your congregation.
Thank you.

That has nothing to do with what our laws allow.

And while praying can be done privately, our religion tells us also to share the Word...and to join with others to worship.

Thank you for proving my point.
Some of us don't believe or want your religion so keep it where it belongs.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

You're welcome, idiot.

First Amendment | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

Nope, I can share my words with everyone.

And you can't do a thing about it.

I just don't see the disagreement here. There's no denying a breakdown in the nuclear family. There's no denying the number of abortions simply cannot be attributed to crimes against women, or even the occassional slip to passion over reason. In 1963, JFK was vulnerable, but he liked his chances againt Goldwater's view of citizens' duty to fellow citizen. I never thought I'd see a presidential nominee saying cutting aid to allow working women access mamograms was good economic policy. Aside from a lack of compassion and civility, it makes no healthcare policy or economic sense. And, I'm saying Mitt's a cretin, but he was looking for votes from cretins.

The only question I see is whether society's retreat from treating our fellows as Paul encouraged us to treat them, is the result of a progressive war on Chrisitanity, or Christianity's failure to make it's message relevant to many Americans.

And, I don't see the harm in public displays of religious teachings, so long as they are tolerant of others, and all have an equal right to display their teachings. I'm positive the Founders never thought this would ever be an issue.

As long as it is not in a public building.
keep it with your friends and congregations but not in or around or on public buildings.

Nope, I can share my words with everyone.

And you can't do a thing about it.

Of course I can discuss my religion and my faith in a public building, ding dong.

I do it all the time.

I can also hold signs referencing my faith, and hang out on street corners singing songs of faith if I like.

All perfectly legal, all protected under the first amendment. Which is why so many people love the US.

And as a public figure, I can reference my faith in my speeches, and I can consult my faith when I make decisions.

Because that's what freedom of religion and freedom of speech means. People do it every single day in this country. It is the definition of freedom.

Please, move to Yemen.

Forum List

Back