The rest of the world understands where our hyperpartisanship is taking us...

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

The perceptible decline of political ethics in many democracies, coupled with hyperpartisanship, is fostering incivility in discourse and greater discord. This, in turn, is hardening political polarization and stoking incendiary rhetoric, despite risks of it breeding extremism and violence.

The spotlight on the attempted assassination of former U.S. President Donald Trump, who has gone from being an alleged promoter of political violence to a victim of it, should not obscure the fact that toxic discourse has become a central challenge for democracies from Europe and North America to Asia.

In polarized times, the national discourse often reeks of partisanship and pettifoggery. Fake news, conspiracy theories and fear-mongering, meanwhile, have become common, thanks to the reach of social media and the eroding objectivity of the mainstream media.

I have a new favorite word...pettifoggery.

Pettifoggery is a noun that means paying too much attention to small, unimportant details or engaging in behavior that involves this.

If this does not describe our current political environment, I am not sure what does

The perceptible decline of political ethics in many democracies, coupled with hyperpartisanship, is fostering incivility in discourse and greater discord. This, in turn, is hardening political polarization and stoking incendiary rhetoric, despite risks of it breeding extremism and violence.

The spotlight on the attempted assassination of former U.S. President Donald Trump, who has gone from being an alleged promoter of political violence to a victim of it, should not obscure the fact that toxic discourse has become a central challenge for democracies from Europe and North America to Asia.

In polarized times, the national discourse often reeks of partisanship and pettifoggery. Fake news, conspiracy theories and fear-mongering, meanwhile, have become common, thanks to the reach of social media and the eroding objectivity of the mainstream media.

Pettifoggery is a noun that means paying too much attention to small, unimportant details or engaging in behavior that involves this.

If this does not describe our current political environment, I am not sure what does
Pettifoggery
it's also a term to describe a lawyer whose methods are petty, underhanded, or disreputable : shyster; one given to quibbling over trifles…

Obama
Biden
Harris
Clinton.

One of your little NPCs went haywire and changed the course of history.

Do better next time.

Forum List

Back