The rich live longer and better.

Details needed.
The rich get better care and get it delivered much faster. However since HC in America is entirely profit driven, doctors often administer harmful and ineffective treatments designed to make money rather than cure anyone. Certainly the way cancer is treated is a good example of this. The Covid vax is another.

That said, it should be remembered many very wealthy individuals die young. Think Steve Jobs.

The rich get better care and get it delivered much faster. However since HC in America is entirely profit driven, doctors often administer harmful and ineffective treatments designed to make money rather than cure anyone. Certainly the way cancer is treated is a good example of this. The Covid vax is another.

That said, it should be remembered many very wealthy individuals die young. Think Steve Jobs.
We need to track the lives of some of the poor who die 'prematurely' to discover exactly why they died young. The poor dying in old age isn't really a problem, even the rich die when they are old.

We need to track the lives of some of the poor who die 'prematurely' to discover exactly why they died young. The poor dying in old age isn't really a problem, even the rich die when they are old.
Yes of course but I think it’s easy to conclude the poor die earlier and more often, due to a life of hardship and stress. Alcoholism and drug use are more common among the poor, exceptions for Genocide Joe’s worthless son. Poor food quality and an inability to afford basic HC services play are part.

Yes of course but I think it’s easy to conclude the poor die earlier and more often, due to a life of hardship and stress. Alcoholism and drug use are more common among the poor, exceptions for Genocide Joe’s worthless son. Poor food quality and an inability to afford basic HC services play are part.
What I would like to determine is what came first, poverty, or a horrible lifestyle including alcohol and drugs. One notable characteristic of the poor is that they tend to try to eat their way out of poverty. Obesity is rampant among the poor. I'm a working man, if I ate like the poor eat I too would likely be poor as well as I would be unable to work, which could also lead to other bad habits.

Many decry blaming the poor for their plight. I'm not so generous with my appraisal. :mad:

What I would like to determine is what came first, poverty, or a horrible lifestyle including alcohol and drugs. One notable characteristic of the poor is that they tend to try to eat their way out of poverty. Obesity is rampant among the poor. I'm a working man, if I ate like the poor eat I too would likely be poor as well as I would be unable to work, which could also lead to other bad habits.

Many decry blaming the poor for their plight. I'm not so generous with my appraisal. :mad:
I’m not so willing to blame them. Being poor in this country is a life of hardship. Yes some are merely lazy and refuse to better themselves, while trying to take advantage of the system.
I think you need to walk in their shoes to have a good understanding.

I’m not so willing to blame them. Being poor in this country is a life of hardship. Yes some are merely lazy and refuse to better themselves, while trying to take advantage of the system.
I think the biggest misunderstanding is lumping them all together and then pitying all of them. Like Garrison Keillor used to say, "Some people are just no good."

An often-ignore fact of retired life is that regardless of your general health, you have limited number of years of generally good health before your state of decrepitude reaches the point where you cannot have fun any more. No more cruises or interesting vacations, no more golf, no more playing with the grandkids. You are just too infirm to do that stuff. Your life becomes nothing more than eating, sleeping, watching the telly and bouncing from one doctor's appointment to the next.

Live for the moment.

It does not have to come to that. My mom is 85, been retired for more than 20 years and she still hikes 3 mile at a time and takes 3 or 4 River Boat Cruises a year.

It is all about how you take care of yourself now.

Last edited:
What kind of salary defines one as poor? Under 60 k per year sounds pretty poor.

Forum List

Back