The shooting of Philando Castile

That was cold blooded murder. He had no reason to unload like that.

The US justice system is stacked against citizens.
While I'm inclined to agree with you - I'm not sure we can make that statement with the certainty that you are. We can't see inside of that automobile from this video.

But this really seems like an unnecessary shooting to me.

Do you know why this seems unnecessary? It's not a hard conclusion to make.

This is one I just don't understand. Here are two indisputable facts that the video shows:
  • The victim (Philando Castile) calmly and openly admits to having a firearm on him
  • The officer yells multiple times not to reach for the firearm and is genuinely scared/panicked
As far as I can tell, this is a case of a law enforcement officer being too afraid/twitchy to be on the job. He has another officer there with him - I just don't understand why he felt the need to unloaded like he did. But - I also don't think he was some cowboy looking for a gunfight. His actions and his voice scream fear.

Watch: Horrific dash cam footage shows fatal shooting of Philando Castile
He reached for his back AFTER cop told him 3 times NOT to reach for anything. Clean shoot.
I'm not necessarily saying it wasn't. It just seems (on the surface) that this was an unnecessary shoot (it's hard for any of us to really say since we can't see inside the car).

But let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask you this: if the driver openly admits to having a firearm on him, why would you think he's reaching for it to harm you? At worst, he's reaching for it to declare it. At best, he's reaching for something else.

I think you need to watch some videos of cops being shot during traffic stops. There are far too many crazy people out there to be safe rather than sorry!
Why don't you provide videos showing cops getting shot during traffic stops.

This is one I just don't understand. Here are two indisputable facts that the video shows:
  • The victim (Philando Castile) calmly and openly admits to having a firearm on him
  • The officer yells multiple times not to reach for the firearm and is genuinely scared/panicked
As far as I can tell, this is a case of a law enforcement officer being too afraid/twitchy to be on the job. He has another officer there with him - I just don't understand why he felt the need to unloaded like he did. But - I also don't think he was some cowboy looking for a gunfight. His actions and his voice scream fear.

Watch: Horrific dash cam footage shows fatal shooting of Philando Castile
Because the first thing you learn in CC is don't reach for anything. You tell the officer where your gun is and he takes care of that situation. You certainly don't tell him you're armed and then go digging around for an ID.

He didn't give that cop a a chance to secure the situation. And he's dead. Oops.
The cops partner could have calm the situation down. Oh well that cop could face vigilante justus in his future.

Dead thug. Most Americans don't give a rat's ass.

Yeah cause they are racists .

You righties save your outrage for important stuff. Like having to fill out more paperwork to get tax free status ! Oh the horror !

I really wish more police used methods to subdue rather than kill.
I agree. A taser absolutely incapacitates. Why not tase him if he's reaching? If a citizen reacted with this kind of force, I wonder how many would be found to be "justified"? Probably 1 in 100 at best. 99 would be charged with cold-blooded murder.

You need to do some research. Tasers work great some of the time. If the barbs don't penetrate, guess what happens? Nothing!

Are you willing to get your life that it works 100% of the time, because if it doesn't those holes in your chest won't heal.

You righties save your outrage for important stuff. Like having to fill out more paperwork to get tax free status ! Oh the horror !
Are you suggesting that a dead thug is more important than avoiding burdensome taxes that usually feeds, houses and futility tries to educate them which invariably moves thugs to incarceration before they can kill, or sometimes after they already have.

I don't care if he was purple with pink polka dots. He failed to follow the officer's instructions and paid the price.

You do realize the officer is Hispanic. Right? I guess he was just racist.

Because the first thing you learn in CC is don't reach for anything.
I understand that MM. I've been through my fair share of CC training as well. But you know the first thing you learn in law enforcement? Don't panic and unload an entire clip of your firearm into a citizen.

The officer was not alone. He had another officer on the passenger side of the automobile. The officer could have stepped back towards the rear of the vehicle where turning and firing by the driver would have been virtually impossible until he determined what exactly the driver was doing.

He also could have tased the driver.

Again...I don't think this was an incident of a law enforcement "cowboy" just itching to get into a gun fight. I think this guy was genuinely scared. It was clear in his voice from before the shooting through after the shooting. But I think that was the problem here - I think this guy was far too scared to be in law enforcement. It's not a job for everybody. You need people with nerves of steel. If you're shaking pulling over an automobile in broad daylight with another officer present - then law enforcement is not for you.

He failed to follow the officer's instructions and paid the price.
This is not Nazi, Germany. The brownshirts don't get to play judge, jury, and executioner because someone failed to comply with an "instruction". Law enforcement is not empowered to deploy lethal force for failure to comply with an instruction. They may place you into custody for that. But they may not resort to lethal force.

I'm sorry - you are dead wrong on this.

I understand that MM. I've been through my fair share of CC training as well. But you know the first thing you learn in law enforcement? Don't panic and unload an entire clip of your firearm into a citizen.

The officer was not alone. He had another officer on the passenger side of the automobile. The officer could have stepped back towards the rear of the vehicle where turning and firing by the driver would have been virtually impossible until he determined what exactly the driver was doing.

Again...I don't think this was an incident of a law enforcement "cowboy" just itching to get into a gun fight. I think this guy was genuinely scared. It was clear in his voice from before the shooting through after the shooting. But I think that was the problem here - I think this guy was far too scared to be in law enforcement. It's not a job for everybody. You need people with nerves of steel. If you're shaking pulling over an automobile in broad daylight with another officer present - then law enforcement is not for you.

Your ignorance is defined by your use of the word "clip".

That was cold blooded murder. He had no reason to unload like that.

The US justice system is stacked against citizens.

A jury said otherwise.
True. But a jury also said that OJ Simpson was "innocent" when we all know - beyond a reason of a shadow of doubt - that he wasn't. A jury also said that Casey Anthony was "innocent" when we all know - beyond a reason of a shadow of doubt - that he wasn't. The list goes on and on. Juries are about as reliable as North Korean news television.

So he couldn't stick the gun out the window? Are you serious? What magically induced fucked-up world do you live in?

As to the other officer, you would still be dead!

This is not Nazi, Germany. The brownshirts don't get to play judge, jury, and executioner because someone failed to comply with an "instruction". Law enforcement is not empowered to deploy lethal force for failure to comply with an instruction. They may place you into custody for that. But they may not resort to lethal force.

No. It's you who continue to be wrong in almost every thing you post..

Those instructions are for your safety as well as the safety of all concerned.

So he couldn't stick the gun out the window? Are you serious? What magically induced fucked-up world do you live in?

As to the other officer, you would still be dead!
Yeah, stupid. If the shooter is left-handed, it is literally impossible. If he is right-handed, he's forced to turn 180 degrees in the driver seat with the steering wheel in his lap. It's damn near impossible. Which is why law enforcement is trained to approach from that position. Up tight against the vehicle from the rear. They don't swing wide and approach at a 90 degree angle because it would give the driver a clear shot to fire.

No. It's you who continue to be wrong in almost every thing you post..

Those instructions are for your safety as well as the safety of all concerned.
No shit. Doesn't matter. Law enforcement is not permitted to deploy lethal force for failure of "safety" instructions. You sound like a fuck'n idiot right now. You know you're wrong. This is simply the law and it is indisputable.

Forum List

Back