The sin of gluttony

Esmeralda

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2013
Washington State
Question: "Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?"

Answer: Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Read more: Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Sit in a parking lot and watch people go into the mall. Gluttony is a problem every one seems to be ignoring these days. I am assuming you are trim and fit to be able to throw rocks with such accuracy.

Anyway, to answer your question, you are referring to a law given to the Jewish people for a specific time, not to Christians.

Christ said, nothing < (as in no thing) taken outwardly in can defile us. It is what comes out of our nasty mouths that defiles man. Not donuts, not beer, not cigs., not pasta.

When Pastor John Hagee gets to the pearly gates, God's going to say, "Put your fork down and come on in, your reward party is getting under way".

Matthew 15:11
Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.

A judgmental post is more damaging to the person posting it than a cheeseburger is to the person eating it. :)

Last edited:

Answer: Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Like the bible or religious beliefs, sins are a matter of convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

According to the Catholics, there are different types of sin.

Doesn't matter. You cannot excuse one sin by pointing out another. They are both wrong.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, &#8220;Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.&#8221; Proverbs 28:7 declares, &#8220;He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.&#8221; Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, &#8220;Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.&#8221;

Like the bible or religious beliefs, sins are a matter of convenience.

The covenant in the Old Testament = Jews, Gluttony comes with a judgment attached to it. The punishment for sin is death.
The covenant in the New Testament = Christians, There is nothing you do that I overlooked when I was dying on the cross for your sins.

I thought you knew that. We are not under those laws. Christ put us back under grace. Undeserved favor.

Last edited:

‘Sin’ is a human contrivance designed to compel conformity and dictate behavior common to most authoritarian religious tenets; that it’s inconsistently practiced is a consequence of human fallibility, and further proof that religion was indeed created by men, where there is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists to ‘judge’ whether one is ‘sinful’ or not.

Odd that man, inconsistent and fallible as he is, would render such harsh judgment against himself if he was to break a sin. And then attach over 600 more sins that garner the same sentence. Kind of masochistic of us don't you think?

I like God's way better. Here is what He wants for His and Abraham's children:

Hebrews 8:12
For I will be merciful to their wrongdoing, and I will remember their sins no more.

and:
Romans 11:27
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Last edited:
It is interesting that when Christians don't like something in the Old Testament, they dismiss it as if it has nothing to do with them, but when they need something out of the Old Testament to support what they believe, it becomes relevant.

I grew up a Christian, went to Sunday school and church. I never experienced being given the the New Testament by itself as what Christianity was about. I have never seen a Bible that didn't have the Old Testament. So why do Chrisitans dismiss it as if it is not a part of their religion? As if it is only something valid for Jews?

And it is interesting I am attacked for starting this thread and told I'm a worse sinner than a glutton simply for asking the question I ask in the OP. I am sincerely interested in why it is okay to be a glutton if you are a Christian.

Last edited:
Yes they do ignore it, and it is a sin in Christianity since they use the purity angle about defiling God's temple when they condemn smoking, drinking, drugs or whatever. Baptists seem to particularly like their chow. The single gals back when I went to church were very overweight, up to 300lbs. all of the activities involved eating. But religions are like that, they are what you want them to be. I got my thin ass out of there.

It is interesting that when Christians don't like something in the Old Testament, they dismiss it as if it has nothing to do with them, but when they need something out of the Old Testament to support what they believe, it becomes relevant.

I grew up a Christian, went to Sunday school and church. I never experienced being given the the New Testament by itself as what Christianity was about. I have never seen a Bible that didn't have the Old Testament. So why do Chrisitans dismiss it as if it is not a part of their religion? As if it is only something valid for Jews?

And it is interesting I am attacked for starting this thread and told I'm a worse sinner than a glutton simply for asking the question I ask in the OP. I am sincerely interested in why it is okay to be a glutton if you are a Christian.

Then let's talk. Not only do Christians not dismiss the OT. We include it because the OT is Christ concealed, and the NT is Christ revealed. The Laws you refer to did not exist until the exodus. Until that time, man existed in a state of constant forgiveness.

Do you know that when God sent Moses to gather the Jews and take them home, from Egypt to Mt Sinai not one person died, even though they sinned constantly? Murmuring is a sin. And they murmured constantly.
The desert is hot during the day, so God came to them in a cloud to shade them. It is cold at night, so He came to them in fire to warm them.
And they whined and whined some more. "I'm thirsty. I'm hungry. All this gold and silver you gave us former slaves is so heavy....."

They got forgiven while they murmured it and got water. Forgiven and given food. Forgiven and given strength.

Then THEY boasted about their own strength. Pertaining to the Law, they said, "BRING IT"! They were already breaking the 1st. one while Moses was listing the 600+ rules they asked for. A calf to worship out of the very gold God gave them. Then they dropped dead because in asking for the law they turned their Father into their Judge.

Christ while fulfilling the Law for Abraham's children, grafted us into the Jewish line, fulfilled the laws for we Gentiles as well, and gave us 2,000 years to fulfill His new laws:
1. Love your Father.
2. Love each other.

My Savior is a Jewish Rabbi. His throne will be located in Jerusalem. He is the link between the Jews and the Gentiles. In His Temple will be the 7 Gentile churches referred to as golden lampstands. He is a Jew that took a Gentile bride.

I took your post as a bit accusatory rather than a sincere quest for understanding. My fault. Forgive me. :smiliehug:

Last edited:
Yes they do ignore it, and it is a sin in Christianity since they use the purity angle about defiling God's temple when they condemn smoking, drinking, drugs or whatever. Baptists seem to particularly like their chow. The single gals back when I went to church were very overweight, up to 300lbs. all of the activities involved eating. But religions are like that, they are what you want them to be. I got my thin ass out of there.

Which means you were neither fed, by them or the Lord. I hope you found a skinny church, more in line with Jewish law. :eusa_angel:

Why is gluttony a "sin"?

It's a weakness.

I know this because we just came back from an incredible meal.

All the silly nonsense about sinning is because christians are miserable and they want the rest of us to be miserable right a long with them.

Not everyone who is fat is because of overeating. It is based on metabolism and heredity. I use to be able to eat anything I want and not gain weight.

I'm not sure what constitutes gluttony. Some people eat more than others.

I don't think gluttony should be taken as only referring to overeating. Really a more accurate modern term would be 'materialism' in a more general sense. Christians were traditionally supposed to live simple lives and focus on spirituality. Material 'life support' is supposed to be just that, support for the body to live so that it can serve as a vehicle for spiritual living.

Also, the point of sin is not to ridicule and shame. Ridicule and shaming are themselves sins that people fall into when they fail to maintain a positive attitude toward overcoming sin and helping others to overcome. In the story of Adam & Eve, God asks them who told them to cover themselves (in shame). We are supposed to confess/own our sins before God, repent, and accept grace as spiritual support for doing better next time.

As for obesity, gluttony is only part of the cause. Laziness (sloth) is the other part. God provides us with bodies and the outdoors to move around and get exercise but we sit inside air-conditioned buildings and vehicles trying to avoid sweating because we are vain, lazy, and gluttonous seekers of material comforts and pleasures instead of true prosperity in the form of healthy body/living, intellectual wisdom, and spiritual awareness and the will to be good people creating a good world to the best of our ability.

Yes, gluttony is a sin. An abomination before God. Always has been.

This is why I'm not a fan of this show:

ManVFoodSeason1.jpg

Now go find another reason to hate us.

Not everyone who is fat is because of overeating. It is based on metabolism and heredity. I use to be able to eat anything I want and not gain weight.

I'm not sure what constitutes gluttony. Some people eat more than others.

I commit gluttony. I'm addicted to chocolate. And lately, with my cold, I've been living on otter pops. They really help my throat.

Why pick on the Bible? What does the Koran say about over-eating. I expect stoning to death is the usual solution.

Forum List

Back