The sin of gluttony

Do Christians and non Christians eat lobster? But, it is against the Law...........
Ham? Bacon? That is against the Law.
Which Laws did God give Moses for the Jews, and which laws did God give Moses for Gentiles?

If one is not a Christian, one is not bound by Christian laws. You'd be amazed what the Chinese ate over the centuries when they were starving. And they still eat a lot of very unusual things. So, for a non-Christian to eat lobster? Makes no difference: he/she is not bound by Christian beliefs.

I'm a Jew who loves Traif.
$garden & BBQ 228.jpg

Question: "Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?"

Answer: Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Read more: Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Answer: Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Not everyone who is fat is because of overeating. It is based on metabolism and heredity. I use to be able to eat anything I want and not gain weight.

I'm not sure what constitutes gluttony. Some people eat more than others.

Correct not all of them are. Just 99.9% of them.

Gluttony to religious folks is over-indulgence and over-consumption of food and drink among other things. Had that told to me by some fat ass bible thumper at a mall as I sat in front of a large pizza. They told me I was going to hell. If you want to know what I told them feel free to ask.

Gluttony is a sin....being fat does not mean you are necessarily gluttonous....not in today's world.

Eating all processed and manufactured foods can cause one to be over weight from eating very little, but the wrong foods...heavy in fat or heavy in sugar.

Being gluttonous involves the desire to overeat and take more than what you need away from others who may need it.... it's like greed and money, only with food.... and it involves being idle, and lazy from being over weight, non productiveness, too.....

Christians don't ignore gluttony because it is a Law in the old testament, Catholics labeled gluttony as one of the 7 deadly sins.....or was that Dante's Inferno? :eusa_shifty:

I agree to a certain extent, one can be over weight because of the type of food you eat and lack of exercise, but that is not generally true of most over weight people. It's kind of a myth that over weight people tell themselves. The truth is, a calorie is a calorie, no matter what you eat. If you eat more than you need, that's gluttony.

That is not the real point though. People have more than they need and they continue to over indulge, to be greedy and gluttonous. That's a sin, according to the Bible, but one conveniently over looked. Why? Why is it less important of a sin than others? Like smoking or drinking or lying or many other sins? Aren't you afraid of the wrath of God? Why take some sins so seriously and ignore others completely?

Sit in a parking lot and watch people go into the mall. Gluttony is a problem every one seems to be ignoring these days. I am assuming you are trim and fit to be able to throw rocks with such accuracy.

Anyway, to answer your question, you are referring to a law given to the Jewish people for a specific time, not to Christians.

Christ said, nothing < (as in no thing) taken outwardly in can defile us. It is what comes out of our nasty mouths that defiles man. Not donuts, not beer, not cigs., not pasta.

When Pastor John Hagee gets to the pearly gates, God's going to say, "Put your fork down and come on in, your reward party is getting under way".

Matthew 15:11
Not that which entereth into the mouth defileth the man; but that which proceedeth out of the mouth, this defileth the man.
A judgmental post is more damaging to the person posting it than a cheeseburger is to the person eating it. :)

A judgmental post is more damaging to the person posting it than a cheeseburger is to the person eating it. :)
Doesn't your last statement, with smiley face or not, defile God....? It came "out of your mouth", meant as insult, instead of turning your cheak or going the extra mile with your adversary....?

Jesus did not abolish the Law, He fulfilled it....as our sacrificial Lamb...

Sin is still sin...

And in the passage that you quoted from Matthew, was that not about washing ones hands before they eat...a rule that Christ said ''man'' made up???

and yes, I understand what Christ is saying with Matthew 15's passage and others when his disciples were preaching in his name and being offered foods that were not Kosher by the strangers they were trying to convert....

Jesus didn't come to condemn us but to save us.

No one is condemning you in this thread, but it has been noted, in this thread, that Jesus said all of the commandments in place before he came were still in place as far as he was concerned, which means, gluttony is still a sin for Christians.

If Jesus didn't come to judge and condemn, did he expect his followers to judge and condemn those who sinned?

From Smedley's post:
&#8220;Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

That's clear text, not open to interpretation.

Jesus says the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins....

Last edited:
I agree to a certain extent, one can be over weight because of the type of food you eat and lack of exercise, but that is not generally true of most over weight people. It's kind of a myth that over weight people tell themselves. The truth is, a calorie is a calorie, no matter what you eat. If you eat more than you need, that's gluttony.

That is not the real point though. People have more than they need and they continue to over indulge, to be greedy and gluttonous. That's a sin, according to the Bible, but one conveniently over looked. Why? Why is it less important of a sin than others? Like smoking or drinking or lying or many other sins? Aren't you afraid of the wrath of God? Why take some sins so seriously and ignore others completely?
In my opinion with a true, believing Christian, both greed and gluttony are a sin, because you are taking much more than you need with no regard to others and their needs....but not all of those who are wealthy and who are fat, are greedy people or are gluttonous people.

And yes I tend to agree with you, that it is rampant in our society....in fact greed is even praised in our society.... :(

As far as being condemned to hell for sins, Christ died for our sins...that's the only difference between Judaism and Christianity, Christ was our sacrificial Lamb, once and for ALL.... We are still to follow God's Word, we are still to try to not sin, make ourselves better people, more Christ like...and true Christians WANT to do this...to be and do good....we don't throw away the Law because Christ died for all of our sins, we want to follow the Law because we are so GRATEFUL for Christ sacrificing himself, so that we, who will continually fall short of the glory of God, may live and have everlasting life.

In my opinion with a true, believing Christian, both greed and gluttony are a sin, because you are taking much more than you need with no regard to others and their needs....but not all of those who are wealthy and who are fat, are greedy people or are gluttonous people.

And yes I tend to agree with you, that it is rampant in our society....in fact greed is even praised in our society.... :(

As far as being condemned to hell for sins, Christ died for our sins...that's the only difference between Judaism and Christianity, Christ was our sacrificial Lamb, once and for ALL.... We are still to follow God's Word, we are still to try to not sin, make ourselves better people, more Christ like...and true Christians WANT to do this...to be and do good....we don't throw away the Law because Christ died for all of our sins, we want to follow the Law because we are so GRATEFUL for Christ sacrificing himself, so that we, who will continually fall short of the glory of God, may live and have everlasting life.

Again, Care4all, if Jesus did not come to judge and condemn, but to forgive, does he expect his followers to judge and condemn rather than forgive? And, if a Christian thinks it is his right to judge and condemn other sinners, does he get to pick and choose which sins those are?

The covenant in the Old Testament = Jews, Gluttony comes with a judgment attached to it. The punishment for sin is death.
The covenant in the New Testament = Christians, There is nothing you do that I overlooked when I was dying on the cross for your sins.

I thought you knew that. We are not under those laws. Christ put us back under grace. Undeserved favor.

Specifically;

Matthew 5:17-18
New International Version (NIV)
The Fulfillment of the Law

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Jesus said the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins, only we athiests do. :eusa_pray:

Everything was accomplished. At the cross. But, because they rejected Him, the Jews will remain under the Law until He returns.

Jesus said that Jewish Law is in effect until the end of days, FOR JEWS. And He was right. To this day they practice the Law. Gentiles do not. Where in the NT are we told to perform sacrifices to cover our sin? Christ was our sacrifice, once and for all.
We are under a different covenant with Christ:
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Our works are garbage compared to Christ's.

Isaiah 64:6 When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags.
So, the way I read this, any of the laws, the sins, that were set down by God in the Old Testament, don't apply to Christians?

Yes they do ignore it, and it is a sin in Christianity since they use the purity angle about defiling God's temple when they condemn smoking, drinking, drugs or whatever. Baptists seem to particularly like their chow. The single gals back when I went to church were very overweight, up to 300lbs. all of the activities involved eating. But religions are like that, they are what you want them to be. I got my thin ass out of there.

Which means you were neither fed, by them or the Lord. I hope you found a skinny church, more in line with Jewish law. :eusa_angel:
I quit going to church because of the phonies like you. I'm not skinny or a Christian anymore but the point is that it's completely dishonest to use the Bible to condemn some unhealthy practices but ignore others under the 'not bound by OT Law' mantra.

Everything was accomplished. At the cross. But, because they rejected Him, the Jews will remain under the Law until He returns.

Jesus said that Jewish Law is in effect until the end of days, FOR JEWS. And He was right. To this day they practice the Law.
Bullshit. How many homosexuals or adulterers got stoned to death by observant Jews lately?

Again, Care4all, if Jesus did not come to judge and condemn, but to forgive, does he expect his followers to judge and condemn rather than forgive? And, if a Christian thinks it is his right to judge and condemn other sinners, does he get to pick and choose which sins those are?

He expects us to forgive those who sin against us, so that our own sins, may be forgiven....it's a state of mind....we need to humble ourselves....be grateful for His Sacrifice, His forgiveness for our sins and try to be like Him.

......except with each other.... He does expect Christians to condemn other Christians, if they have fallen by the wayside....but it is not suppose to be done in front of others, at least not at first....it is at first, suppose to be done in private, with your fellow Christian, one on one, hand to hand....

And not in the manner of fire and brimstone, not: you are going to burn in HELL MANNER.... imo....but through turning ones cheek, walking the extra mile with ones adversary, loving thy enemies, being kind to strangers and those in need, INCLUDING sinners, such as the adulteress getting ready to be stoned or nice to the lady, condemned and scoffed by others in the room, who washed His feet with her hair and tears....or with the man with Leprosy that he cured....

but note, this does not mean people can't have a discussion or debate about these topics in public....it's when it leads to judgmental statements like: "you are going to hell" statements, or from the other aspect, "you never follow what the Bible teaches and are a Hypocrites" .....that can lead to just what He didn't want.....again imo.

And in my opinion,

"you get more flies with honey than with vinegar" is always a good way to approach things....:D

He expects us to forgive those who sin against us, so that our own sins, may be forgiven....it's a state of mind....we need to humble ourselves....be grateful for His Sacrifice, His forgiveness for our sins and try to be like Him.

......except with each other.... He does expect Christians to condemn other Christians, if they have fallen by the wayside....but it is not suppose to be done in front of others, at least not at first....it is at first, suppose to be done in private, with your fellow Christian, one on one, hand to hand....

And not in the manner of fire and brimstone, not: you are going to burn in HELL MANNER.... imo....but through turning ones cheek, walking the extra mile with ones adversary, loving thy enemies, being kind to strangers and those in need, INCLUDING sinners, such as the adulteress getting ready to be stoned or nice to the lady, condemned and scoffed by others in the room, who washed His feet with her hair and tears....or with the man with Leprosy that he cured....

but note, this does not mean people can't have a discussion or debate about these topics in public....it's when it leads to judgmental statements like: "you are going to hell" statements, or from the other aspect, "you never follow what the Bible teaches and are a Hypocrites" .....that can lead to just what He didn't want.....again imo.

And in my opinion,

"you get more flies with honey than with vinegar" is always a good way to approach things....:D

Is that last statement supposed to be directed at me? I'm not trying to collect flies, I'm trying to understand something, and since when is asking an straightforward, unembellished question using vinegar? Why are Christians so sensitive and defensive? I'd think you know what you mean and what you are and wouldn't be intimated by a simple question.

I am wondering if some sins are more important than others and who decides that.

Is that last statement supposed to be directed at me? I'm not trying to collect flies, I'm trying to understand something, and since when is asking an straightforward, unembellished question using vinegar? Why are Christians so sensitive and defensive? I'd think you know what you mean and what you are and wouldn't be intimated by a simple question.

I am wondering if some sins are more important than others and who decides that.
I got a lot of fruit flies in my vinegar so I keep it in the fridge now. But to answer your question they know it's hypocritical so it is a sensitive area. Every branch picks and chooses what to believe in and uphold while condemning those that differ. Remarriage is a sin, how many practice that these days?

Jesus didn't come to condemn us but to save us.

No one is condemning you in this thread, but it has been noted, in this thread, that Jesus said all of the commandments in place before he came were still in place as far as he was concerned, which means, gluttony is still a sin for Christians.

If Jesus didn't come to judge and condemn, did he expect his followers to judge and condemn those who sinned?

From Smedley's post:
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Jesus says the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins....
No, we don't get to pick what sins are....

However, some Laws may not have come by God, even in the Old testament....Christ said that some rules were put there by "Man", NOT by God...like it being a sin if you don't wash your hands before eating...Christ SAID, this was man's law, not Gods....

and when the Levite priest, passed the injured Samaratan man by...probably because it was the Sabbath and they were not suppose to work or rules on blood being unclean, and they interpreted God's Law about the Sabbath wrongly....Christ taught....that helping an injured or sick man on the Sabbath DID NOT break God's Law...

and when Christ healed the sick on the Sabbath, He was condemned by the religious, accused of breaking the Law, God's Law....but Jesus said they were wrong in their interpretation of the Law and put Man's view in their interpretation, instead of understanding God's view...

so, there are things that the Religious Jews and Christians may be seeing and viewing wrongly, that are considered "the Law" ......

And there is a difference in the Law naming sins, and the law's punishment for those sins....

In general, with Laws other than the 10 commandments, it is the gist of what God is saying that is the Law, not the Laws themselves....because times change...

there are dozens of Laws in the old testament on what should be done if someone steals your cattle, like if the cow is killed, the thief has to replace the cow and give you an additional one too....etc etc etc....

these should be interpreted with today in mind......most people don't own cattle today, but the gist of stealing and what the Earthly consequences of that sin should be in proportion to the crime/sin itself, in today's terms...

He expects us to forgive those who sin against us, so that our own sins, may be forgiven....it's a state of mind....we need to humble ourselves....be grateful for His Sacrifice, His forgiveness for our sins and try to be like H

And in my opinion,

NOOOO, that was NOT directed at you Esmeralda....I think this is a good discussion.

1) The Bible says that we are all sinners (even Christians).
2) A worse sin that gluttony is rejection of Christ and His Word.
3) The Bible says that we should use self control (that would include food intake). Galatians 5:22-23
4) Even Christ was accused of gluttony by the self-righteous Pharisees. Matthew 11:19
5) All sinners are called to repentance and should alter their habits for conscience sake. Acts 2:38
6) Christ's death paid the penalty for sin so a believer in Christ will not pay the penalty for his or her sin. The only price they will pay is the burden they must carry while here on earth. All sin has an immediate consequence. A smoker's lungs get damaged. A drug user's brain is dulled. A slothful person's muscles weaken. Etc. Various sins will leave the sinner with a guilty conscience but the ultimate price or penalty for sin is death. Christ died in our stead.

Why pick on the Bible? What does the Koran say about over-eating. I expect stoning to death is the usual solution.

Christian hating is very fashionable these days. It's a political deal. Other religions will be attacked when it's convenient.

Nonsense.

It’s the ignorance and hate being expressed by many Christians using their faith as ‘justification’ that’s being appropriately denounced, having nothing to do with the faith or its adherents.

Have you read about Islam?

No, they're attacking Christians because they are cowards. They know Christians turn the other cheek while Muslims would kill them.

Forum List

Back