The sin of gluttony

The Torah doesn't allow for the death penalty except when the majority of Jews live in Israel and only by the Sanhedrin.
You forgot to post the verse(s).

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schottenstein-Edition-Talmud-English-Sanhedrin/dp/0899067433/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401665222&sr=8-5&keywords=artscroll+sanhedrin]Schottenstein Edition of the Talmud - English Full Size [#49] - Sanhedrin volume 3 (folios 84b-: Rabbi Yisroel Simcha Schorr (Editor) / Rabbi Chaim Malinowitz (Editor): 9780899067438: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It is derived from studying a vast array of verses, as is everything else we practice.
You see, learning Torah keeps up too busy to spend a 1,000 years destroying Europe.
I didn't expect you to post any verses because it's unsupportable bullshit.

I knew a man who walked all of his life because of the advice of his doctor that it was what he needed to do to not gain weight. He must have been walking 20 miles a day and he was really trekking.

Here is a newsflash. People eat because they are hungry and they stop when their stomachs fill up. Some gain weight and others don't. Those who gain weight because their metabolisms are too slow are sinners according to you and those who are gluttons and eat and eat and eat because their metabolisms are too fast are not sinners because they are thin according to you.
I doubt anyone was walking 20 miles a day. Of course metabolisms vary and some people pick up weight easier but it's dishonest to ignore the overeating and food choices people make. It was unusual to see people in the 300lb category a few generations ago, I doubt their physiology evolved in that time. If you eat less your stomach shrinks and it takes less to fill you up, and visa versa.

The point is the double standard, not who the sinners are.

Do Christians and non Christians eat lobster? But, it is against the Law...........
Ham? Bacon? That is against the Law.
Which Laws did God give Moses for the Jews, and which laws did God give Moses for Gentiles?

The Law was given as a light to the nations which means that the law applies to everybody.

When Jesus said 'unless you eat my flesh you can have no life in you' he was referring to his teaching, flesh, about the figurative nature and hidden subjects of the law revealing that kosher law is not about what you serve and eat but what you teach and learn and that unless you understand and comply with the law in this light you cannot have the life promised for obedience to the law in you.

The specific reason given in the law for the prohibition of the flesh of swine is that they do not ruminate, and their flesh, teaching, defiles and contaminates the mind.

Swallow the teaching of any creature that does not ruminate and it will defile and contaminate your mind and you will become a creature that cannot ruminate.

The Law remains in effect and continues in full force whether you comply with it or not, whether you believe in it or not, whether Jew or gentile..

No one knows this better than you

Bump. There was something I wanted to contribute to this thread pertaining to trying to keep the law, and relying on Christ. The combination frustrates our Father. The law separated the Jews from God. Christ brought them back under mercy and grace.
Christ replaced the law.

What He did and why and what the law was replaced with:
Hebrews 7:18-19 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless, for the law made nothing perfect, and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Set aside there in the Greek is to remove, or abolish. And for the Christians that feel you are still obligated to keep the Laws as a righteousness issue, a problem exists for you.
Here it is:

Hebrews 4:14 We should encourage ourselves by the excellence of our High Priest, ... led up to, of Christ being our great High Priest, who can both sympathize and succor.

If you put yourself under the Law, then Christ cannot be your High Priest. He is not a Levite. You are either under the Law or under the One that replaced it.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The Law produces judgment and death. A new heart in Christ produces new thinking. A desire to hear, "Well done."
Be good to make your Father proud. Rely on the righteousness of Christ to obtain your seat at His table. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
If you put yourself under the Law, then Christ cannot be your High Priest. He is not a Levite. You are either under the Law or under the One that replaced it.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The Law produces judgment and death. A new heart in Christ produces new thinking. A desire to hear, "Well done."
Be good to make your Father proud. Rely on the righteousness of Christ to obtain your seat at His table. :eusa_angel:
In other words, you can ignore the OT when you want and embrace it when you want.

Gluttonous behavior is sinful and should be avoided like any and all sins. Seek moderation and a clear conscience. Know the difference between right and wrong and seek to do what's right.

In other words, you can ignore the OT when you want and embrace it when you want.

Gluttonous behavior is sinful and should be avoided like any and all sins. Seek moderation and a clear conscience. Know the difference between right and wrong and seek to do what's right.

That's about the size of it: pick and choose your sins. Vilify others for sinning when it's something you don't do and don't approve of, but when you sin, you rationalize it to make it okay for you. Hypocrisy.

That's about the size of it: pick and choose your sins. Vilify others for sinning when it's something you don't do and don't approve of, but when you sin, you rationalize it to make it okay for you. Hypocrisy.

Well ... that's not really what I said but if you want "pick and choose" what you want to hear then I guess there's not much I can do about that.

Do Christians and non Christians eat lobster? But, it is against the Law...........
Ham? Bacon? That is against the Law.
Which Laws did God give Moses for the Jews, and which laws did God give Moses for Gentiles?

The Law was given as a light to the nations which means that the law applies to everybody.

When Jesus said 'unless you eat my flesh you can have no life in you' he was referring to his teaching, flesh, about the figurative nature and hidden subjects of the law revealing that kosher law is not about what you serve and eat but what you teach and learn and that unless you understand and comply with the law in this light you cannot have the life promised for obedience to the law in you.

The specific reason given in the law for the prohibition of the flesh of swine is that they do not ruminate, and their flesh, teaching, defiles and contaminates the mind.

Swallow the teaching of any creature that does not ruminate and it will defile and contaminate your mind and you will become a creature that cannot ruminate.

The Law remains in effect and continues in full force whether you comply with it or not, whether you believe in it or not, whether Jew or gentile..

No one knows this better than you

Bump. There was something I wanted to contribute to this thread pertaining to trying to keep the law, and relying on Christ. The combination frustrates our Father. The law separated the Jews from God. Christ brought them back under mercy and grace.
Christ replaced the law.

What He did and why and what the law was replaced .....

No, you are wrong. You understand neither the meaning of the words nor the subjects about which you are so dogmatic.

Jesus only ever claimed to be the expected messiah promised in deuteronomy 18:18, where it says that God would raise up another prophet like Moses and "I will put my words into his mouth and he shall convey all of my commands."

Before Moses died he said that after he died the people would turn aside from the way he taught to follow the Law.. This shows that there was a particular way to follow the law that the people would not follow after he died. What they did follow was a strict literal interpretation and application of the law which by the time of Jesus had become more than a 1,000 year old tradition.

When Jesus said "eat my flesh" it was a sublime teaching about the figurative nature of kosher law and that the meaning and subjects were hidden and that flesh is to be understood as figurative for teaching, not literal for food.

What became obsolete once Jesus appeared and taught people what he learned from God was the wrong way to interpret and follow the law, not the law itself.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven..."

To understand what Jesus meant by saying, "they will be called least" see genesis 3:14

Last edited:
Read more: Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Like the bible or religious beliefs, sins are a matter of convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The covenant in the Old Testament = Jews, Gluttony comes with a judgment attached to it. The punishment for sin is death.
The covenant in the New Testament = Christians, There is nothing you do that I overlooked when I was dying on the cross for your sins.

I thought you knew that. We are not under those laws. Christ put us back under grace. Undeserved favor.

He also stated that he had not come here to change any of the laws already given...

Do you really not understand the difference between Jew and Gentile? Or old and new? Peter and Paul?

If you buy a car and go to the DMV to take your drivers test, do you take the test for motorcycles too, or doesn't that apply to you since you have a car. So what are you doing at the DMV if you are just going to ignore some of the regulations, and embrace the ones that pertain to you?

Weasie, do something for me. Instead of looking for something to beat up Christians with, Just read these lines and tell me what you think the lines mean...

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

If there is now, no condemnation, then at some point there was condemnation.
There is no need to ignore or pick and choose. A change took place on our behalf. And that is what we embrace.

If you are using Windows 8 are you ignoring Windows 4 or have you embraced a change for the better? Try running both at the same time... Frustrating?

Do you really not see the difference between old and new? Do you really not understand the concept of change? :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Do you really not understand the difference between Jew and Gentile? Or old and new? Peter and Paul?

If you buy a car and go to the DMV to take your drivers test, do you take the test for motorcycles too, or doesn't that apply to you since you have a car. So what are you doing at the DMV if you are just going to ignore some of the regulations, and embrace the ones that pertain to you?

Weasie, do something for me. Instead of looking for something to beat up Christians with, Just read these lines and tell me what you think the lines mean...

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

There is no need to ignore or pick and choose. A change took place on our behalf. And that is what we embrace.
Yes, I know the difference, do you? I'm not beating up on Christians either, I mentioned that there is picking and a choosing with sins that varies between denominations, churches and congregations.

I gave remarriage as an example, considered a sin in the NT. If there is no law, no condemnation then there is no sin. So it isn't consistent internally either, which is why churches are all over the map.
If you are using Windows 8 are you ignoring Windows 4 or have you embraced a change for the better? Try running both at the same time... Frustrating?

Do you really not see the difference between old and new? Do you really not understand the concept of change? :eusa_angel:
I understand the frustrations of trying to hold on to opposing views and fitting theology into a modern environment. No churches I went to had women wear head covering or made them be silent in church.

Last edited:
No churches I went to had women wear head covering or made them be silent in church.

In The American Episcopalian Church, up through the 1950s, women were expected to wear hats; men to remove them. Nobody threw anyone out for noncompliance but folks were often "sent to Coventry". These days, even in "high" Episcopalian Churches it's not even strongly suggested one wear a shirt or shoes though the former is encouraged for women, particularly beyond a "certain age".

Yes, I know the difference, do you? I'm not beating up on Christians either, I mentioned that there is picking and a choosing with sins that varies between denominations, churches and congregations.

I gave remarriage as an example, considered a sin in the NT. If there is no law, no condemnation then there is no sin. So it isn't consistent internally either, which is why churches are all over the map.

I understand the frustrations of trying to hold on to opposing views and fitting theology into a modern environment. No churches I went to had women wear head covering or made them be silent in church.

Churches create dogma. It weighs them down and separates them. God cares about your heart, not your hat.

Can you imagine an animal sacrifice prior to walking into the sanctuary?
A fine Kosher meal after the service? It is not that we are picking and choosing sins.
It is that different rules and regulations apply to different people.
Peter and Paul had the same issue of discerning what was Germain to this group and what pertained to the other. Paul did not school the Gentiles in Jewish tradition, or put them under the Law for a reason. They weren't Jews. Peter appealed to those that were already under the Law.

Sin is sin, yesterday, today and tomorrow. The difference between the OT and the NT is the punishment for committing them. The Law condemned those who broke them. The punishment was death. Period.
Under the law, and without a sacrifice, gluttons died. Under Christ there is now, no condemnation for gluttony. If a spotless lamb can save a Jewish glutton, how much more are we saved by the blood of Christ??? A Fatty in Christ is a saved Fatty.

So as not to lose His children, and just to keep them alive, God allowed the Jew's sins to be covered temporarily by the blood of a pure animal. According to the Law, the Jews placed their hand on the sheep and transferred their sins to the sacrifice.

That simply does not apply to those covered in the blood of Christ. Christ's blood is not temporary, but eternal. He paid for our sins. The punishment was death. So He died. Jesus is the sacrifice we put our hands on. Because He died, we live.
An exchange took place. Because we transferred our sins onto His head, now there is nothing to condemn us for. He wore our sins, we wear His righteousness. Period. It is finished.

Compared to mercy and forgiveness, the Law is useless. It kills. Don't place yourself under it. It takes your eyes off of Christ and on to yourself, and that frustrates our Father, because the Law is not perfect, but His Son is.

Do good for Christ's sake. He whittled the whole thing down to 1 rule, if one is anxious about their own righteousness:

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Start and end with that Law....... Your fork will become a non issue. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Churches create dogma. It weighs them down and separates them. God cares about your heart, not your hat.

A fine Kosher meal after the service? It is not that we are picking and choosing sins.
Peter and Paul had the same issue of discerning what was Germain to this group and what pertained to the other. Paul did not school the Gentiles in Jewish tradition, or put them under the Law for a reason. They weren't Jews. Peter appealed to those that were already under the Law.
Yes, Paul brought the message to the Gentiles. Jesus couldn't be bothered. Or interested in writing anything down. The spin for those problems lack credulity.
Sin is sin, yesterday, today and tomorrow. The difference between the OT and the NT is the punishment for committing them. The Law condemned those who broke them. The punishment was death. Period.
Under the law, and without a sacrifice, gluttons died. Under Christ there is now, no condemnation for gluttony. If a spotless lamb can save a Jewish glutton, how much more are we saved by the blood of Christ??? A Fatty in Christ is a saved Fatty.
Yep, stone throwing is out. But the point was the picking and choosing of what needs forgiving and what doesn't. And it varies over time and culture. It's a fact, you can accept or deny it but it won't change anything.

I never believed the sin is sin thing and don't know where it comes from. So raping and murdering a child is as sinful as drinking to excess? I don't think so.
So as not to lose His children, and just to keep them alive, God allowed the Jew's sins to be covered temporarily by the blood of a pure animal. According to the Law, the Jews placed their hand on the sheep and transferred their sins to the sacrifice.
Why are you bleating this story? I am well aware of the theology.
That simply does not apply to those covered in the blood of Christ. Christ's blood is not temporary, but eternal. He paid for our sins. The punishment was death. So He died. Jesus is the sacrifice we put our hands on. Because He died, we live.
An exchange took place. Because we transferred our sins onto His head, now there is nothing to condemn us for. He wore our sins, we wear His righteousness. Period. It is finished.

Compared to mercy and forgiveness, the Law is useless. It kills. Don't place yourself under it. It takes your eyes off of Christ and on to yourself, and that frustrates our Father, because the Law is not perfect, but His Son is.

Do good for Christ's sake. He whittled the whole thing down to 1 rule, if one is anxious about their own righteousness:

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Start and end with that Law....... Your fork will become a non issue. :eusa_angel:
I'm not anxious, don't believe in righteousness and don't need to be saved from a bronze age belief system and the fictitious threats. Thankyouverymuch.

Yup. I agree with IR on this issue. James chapter two says that if we decide to live by the Old Testament laws then we are bound to keep ALL of them and if we break one of them then we've broken them ALL. So if that's the route some Christians decide to take then they have a monumental task at hand:

James 2:8, "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"
James 2:10-11, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."

Christ spoke of "two great commandments" in the New Testament:

Matthew 22:36-40, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Belief in and love of God and love of our neighbors. That is to say that we should help the poor, elderly, sick, and anyone in need of our love and help as well as offer our sincere prayers.

Where keeping the law is concerned the following verses put things in perspective for me:

Romans 13:10, "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Matthew 7:12, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Galatians 5:14, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Romans 13:8, "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law."

James 2:8, "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"

Galatians 5:18, "But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."

Romans 6:14, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

John 1:17, "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

Now new converts to Christianity were required to keep the following 4 edicts (as opposed to the entire Old Testament Law/Covenant that the ancient Israelites were required to follow);

Acts 15:19-20, "Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood."

Acts 15:29, "That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well."

Acts 21:25, "As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication."

Your inability to comprehend that worshiping a false trinity that became a human being is a violation of the first commandment is evidence that the law remains in effect and is in full force and death is still the consequence for breaking the Law.

Your inability to comprehend that worshiping a false trinity that became a human being is a violation of the first commandment is evidence that the law remains in effect and is in full force and death is still the consequence for breaking the Law.

Since you clearly don't have the ability to even describe the triune nature of God you really have no room to argue against it.

H2O is water but it can present itself as steam (gas), liquid (water), or solid (ice). All three are H2O but presented in different natures depending on the circumstances.

A white light can enter a prism but exits the prism in the three, primary colors (as well as combinations of those three, primary colors). One light ... three colors.

Since you clearly don't have the ability to even describe the triune nature of God you really have no room to argue against it.

H2O is water but it can present itself as steam (gas), liquid (water), or solid (ice). All three are H2O but presented in different natures depending on the circumstances.

A white light can enter a prism but exits the prism in the three, primary colors (as well as combinations of those three, primary colors). One light ... three colors.

God is incorporeal, spirit, and has no physical shape or material form and nothing exists in the material universe comparable to God. That is the reason for the prohibition against making idols or any other material representation of God because the result is always false.

God, as defined in scripture, cannot become a human being anymore than a human being could ever become God.

thanks for proving my point.

Yes, Paul brought the message to the Gentiles. Jesus couldn't be bothered. Or interested in writing anything down. The spin for those problems lack credulity.
Yep, stone throwing is out. But the point was the picking and choosing of what needs forgiving and what doesn't. And it varies over time and culture. It's a fact, you can accept or deny it but it won't change anything.

I never believed the sin is sin thing and don't know where it comes from. So raping and murdering a child is as sinful as drinking to excess? I don't think so.
Why are you bleating this story? I am well aware of the theology.

I'm not anxious, don't believe in righteousness and don't need to be saved from a bronze age belief system and the fictitious threats. Thankyouverymuch.

If you aren't anxious, then you weren't the one being addressed.

Yes, Paul addressed the Gentiles. Because Christ was busy dying for our sins, coming back from the grave to prove immortality, and interceding on our behalf. How rude.

The fact that you think you don't need saved doesn't negate the fact that you do. All it means is you have passed on the gift of salvation, and have decided to plead your case at the White Throne Judgement. I hope for the best for you when your case is called.
:eusa_angel:

Then why was a priest of the order of Melchizedek necessary? The 1st commandment belongs to Aaron. This proves you wrong:

Hebrews 7: 18 But there was a change in the first testament because of its impotence, and there was no benefit in it.

If you are correct, then God would have been satisfied with the law.

Hebrews 7:11 So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron?
:eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back