The sin of gluttony

Why pick on the Bible? What does the Koran say about over-eating. I expect stoning to death is the usual solution.

Christian hating is very fashionable these days. It's a political deal. Other religions will be attacked when it's convenient.

Read more: Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

Like the bible or religious beliefs, sins are a matter of convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The covenant in the Old Testament = Jews, Gluttony comes with a judgment attached to it. The punishment for sin is death.

What in God's name are you talking about?

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. They are seven acts that harm no one but the person bearing the sin. Since these sins carry their own punishment, they aren't even sins against the Lord.

Read more: Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?

Interestingly, people who call themselves Christians have all kinds of fits about people committing sins, all kinds of sins including drinking and smoking. Ironically, gluttony is also a sin, but Christian folks seem to ignore that sin: they are as over weight as anyone else and show no indication that they are sinning. Why is that? A sin is a sin isn't it?

The covenant in the Old Testament = Jews, Gluttony comes with a judgment attached to it. The punishment for sin is death.
The covenant in the New Testament = Christians, There is nothing you do that I overlooked when I was dying on the cross for your sins.

I thought you knew that. We are not under those laws. Christ put us back under grace. Undeserved favor.

Specifically;

Matthew 5:17-18
New International Version (NIV)
The Fulfillment of the Law

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

That's clear text, not open to interpretation.

Jesus says the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins, only we athiests do. :eusa_pray:

The covenant in the New Testament = Christians, There is nothing you do that I overlooked when I was dying on the cross for your sins.

I thought you knew that. We are not under those laws. Christ put us back under grace. Undeserved favor.

Specifically;

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Jesus says the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins, only we athiests do. :eusa_pray:

Au contraire---Christians have free will to do what they want and take their chances with St. Peter.

Why pick on the Bible? What does the Koran say about over-eating. I expect stoning to death is the usual solution.

Christian hating is very fashionable these days. It's a political deal. Other religions will be attacked when it's convenient.

Nonsense.

It’s the ignorance and hate being expressed by many Christians using their faith as ‘justification’ that’s being appropriately denounced, having nothing to do with the faith or its adherents.

Creating the "religion and ethics" forum may have been a mistake by the US Message Board. It has turned out to be a rant by anti-Christians to nit-pick philosophies that they don't understand and don't care about. When is the last time a post was made about ethics? Christian beliefs and philosophies are (used to be) harmless faith based issues. Jesuit scholars spent lifetimes studying Christian philosophy and frankly I find it insulting that little creepazoid low information bigots get to bomb the forum with nothing but stupid posts.

What in God's name are you talking about?

God gave the Jews 600 laws. Laws demand judgment. Gluttony was one of those laws. Breaking it was a sin. The sentence is death.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is eternal life in our Lord.

The Jews asked for those Laws. If anyone believes that they too are under the Law, then you had better be keeping them alllllll. We don't get to pick and choose our favorites.
If you put yourself under Jewish law then you are obligated to comply with them all:

Galatians 5:3
Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.

The reference to circumcision was a way to recognize Jews back then.
The other problem with keeping the law, aside from failing at it:

Galatians 3:11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because "the righteous will live by faith."

is that Christ would have been unnecessary if we could obtain righteousness by keeping Jewish Law. And yet it was just the opposite. The law is a curse. The cross was necessary because of it. Faith in Christ removes the curse and once again, puts us under God's grace:

For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM." Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, "THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH." However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."…

AND >will be judged by them.

Jewish Law is what Christ fulfilled for those who weren't able. We live by Faith in Christ's work, not Moses', and not in our own. Why in God's name would anyone forgo mercy and grace in favor of Law and judgment?

Gluttony does not please God, but there is now, no condemnation for it. Trying to keep over 600 laws takes our eyes off of Christ, and onto self.

Last edited:

Specifically;

Jesus said the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins, only we athiests do. :eusa_pray:

Everything was accomplished. At the cross. But, because they rejected Him, the Jews will remain under the Law until He returns.

Jesus said that Jewish Law is in effect until the end of days, FOR JEWS. And He was right. To this day they practice the Law. Gentiles do not. Where in the NT are we told to perform sacrifices to cover our sin? Christ was our sacrifice, once and for all.
We are under a different covenant with Christ:
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Our works are garbage compared to Christ's.

Isaiah 64:6 When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags.

Last edited:

Why so defensive? This thread is not about criticizing Christians, not about hate, not about attacking anyone. It's a real question. According to the Bible, gluttony is a sin, yet Christians don't seem to take that sin seriously as they do so many others. Why not? Don't you fear God's wrath? For example, there are a lot of hungry people in the world, millions of starving children. Do you think God looks upon his Christian children and seeing them commit the sin of gluttony while children starve, he will be pleased? Why don't Christians take the sin of gluttony seriously when they take other sins so seriously?

Creating the "religion and ethics" forum may have been a mistake by the US Message Board. It has turned out to be a rant by anti-Christians to nit-pick philosophies that they don't understand and don't care about. When is the last time a post was made about ethics? Christian beliefs and philosophies are (used to be) harmless faith based issues. Jesuit scholars spent lifetimes studying Christian philosophy and frankly I find it insulting that little creepazoid low information bigots get to bomb the forum with nothing but stupid posts.

Christian beliefs and philosophies have NEVER been harmless; they are, in fact, responsible for the suffering, torture, and deaths of millions upon millions.

I am not an "anti-Christian." I do understand Christianity: I was born and raised a Christian, was baptized, and went to Sunday school and, later, church.

This isn't an attack, nor is it a rant: you are being overly defensive and in a very aggressive and ugly manner. It's a sincere question. Why, of all the other sins, is gluttony ignored? Even joked about, people joking about eating chocolate and over eating, etc.?

Specifically;

Jesus said the Jewish Law is in effect till the end of days. A sin in the Old Testament is a sin in the New Testament. You don't get to pick and choose what actions are sins, only we athiests do. :eusa_pray:

Everything was accomplished. At the cross. But, because they rejected Him, the Jews will remain under the Law until He returns.

Jesus said that Jewish Law is in effect until the end of days, FOR JEWS. And He was right. To this day they practice the Law. Gentiles do not. Where in the NT are we told to perform sacrifices to cover our sin? Christ was our sacrifice, once and for all.
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Isaiah 64:6 When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags.

Isaiah 64:6
When are you going to grow up and read verses in context?
I don't mind when you quote TNT but I very much mind when you manipulate The Jewish Scriptures (TJS).
Try reading Isaiah 64:1-5

Do Christians and non Christians eat lobster? But, it is against the Law...........
Ham? Bacon? That is against the Law.
Which Laws did God give Moses for the Jews, and which laws did God give Moses for Gentiles?

You stated explicitly that committing a sin requires death.
Where did you get this?

Whatever applies to Noah applies to non-Jews.
Non-Jews have no dietary laws except for eating a severed part of an animal that is still alive,

Now about that sin/death stuff...?

Specifically;

Isaiah 64:6
When are you going to grow up and read verses in context?
I don't mind when you quote TNT but I very much mind when you manipulate The Jewish Scriptures (TJS).
Try reading Isaiah 64:1-5

Not only have I read it, I quoted it. Isaiah was a Jew, speaking to Jews. What was it again that Isaiah said about righteous acts?
In context:
Isaiah 64: 5-9
5 You come to the help of those who gladly do right,
who remember your ways.
But when we continued to sin against them,
you were angry.
How then can we be saved?
6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
7 No one calls on your name
or strives to lay hold of you;
for you have hidden your face from us
and have given us over to[a] our sins.

8 Yet you, Lord, are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.
9 Do not be angry beyond measure, Lord;
do not remember our sins forever.
Oh, look on us, we pray,
for we are all your people.

Do you think Isaiah meant something other than filthy?

Last edited:

Why so defensive? This thread is not about criticizing Christians, not about hate, not about attacking anyone. It's a real question. According to the Bible, gluttony is a sin, yet Christians don't seem to take that sin seriously as they do so many others. Why not? Don't you fear God's wrath? For example, there are a lot of hungry people in the world, millions of starving children. Do you think God looks upon his Christian children and seeing them commit the sin of gluttony while children starve, he will be pleased? Why don't Christians take the sin of gluttony seriously when they take other sins so seriously?

Do you think everyone is so stupid as to not see through your act of wide-eyed innocence?

You are putting on a show of acting naive in order to pose a question you think exposes something shitty about Christians.

Very transparent.

And if you've been listening to The Irish Ram, you have your answer.

Last edited:
Do Christians and non Christians eat lobster? But, it is against the Law...........
Which Laws did God give Moses for the Jews, and which laws did God give Moses for Gentiles?

Where did you get this?

Non-Jews have no dietary laws except for eating a severed part of an animal that is still alive,

The wages of sin is death...Romans 6:23

"But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Oh, wait...I see The Irish Ram already posted this scripture. You...what...just aren't paying attention?

Last edited:

Where did you get this?

It is why Christ died. That was the punishment for our sins.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Last edited:
I don't believe we should overeat because it isn't healthy for our bodies, Esmeralda. Gluttony is a sin. Sure it is.. but the question is - is the individual sincere towards God in their heart? If they are? Well, listen to what Gurnall says about it....

This is a quote from William Gurnall from a sermon he preached back in the 1600's.

God approves of the sincere man as holy and righteous even though he isn't totally free of sin. And just as God does not mistake the saints's sin for sincerity, neither does he unsaint him for it. For instance, Scripture recorded that Job fell into the pit of sin, but God saw sincerity mixed with his transgressions and judged him perfect. Sincerity does not blind God so that he cannot see the saint's sin, but makes Him consider it with compassion instead of anger. This is like the husband who knows his wife is faithful to him so he pities her weaknesses and cherishes her as a good wife.
-William Gurnall

Forum List

Back