The Stories Behind The Most Popular Banned Songs

JOSweetHeart

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2012
Go here for the list. Only one country song is included.

"The Pill" from Loretta Lynn

Why am I able to remember the following, but whoever put that list together can't?

"Independence Day"-Martina McBride
"The Thunder Rolls"-Garth Brooks
"She Thinks His Name Was John"-Reba McEntire
"Burned Like Rocket"-Billy Joe Royal (RIP)

God bless you and Loretta and Garth and Martina and Reba always!!!

Holly

P.S. Okay, not every song that I acknowledge here may have been banned, but they were considered controversial enough due to one reason or another.

Go here for the list. Only one country song is included.

"The Pill" from Loretta Lynn

Why am I able to remember the following, but whoever put that list together can't?

"Independence Day"-Martina McBride
"The Thunder Rolls"-Garth Brooks
"She Thinks His Name Was John"-Reba McEntire
"Burned Like Rocket"-Billy Joe Royal (RIP)

God bless you and Loretta and Garth and Martina and Reba always!!!

Holly

P.S. Okay, not every song that I acknowledge here may have been banned, but they were considered controversial enough due to one reason or another.
When were any of these songs "banned"?..answer..none of them.

I really had/have a thing for Martina McBride..

^^^ Issues were taken with the songs that I named off not long after they first went to radio. "Burned Like A Rocket" was most definitely banned right after it entered the top ten due to a shuttle incident that took place in January of 1986 and because of the song being ripped away from the radio, we will never know how much more successful it could have been for Billy Joe. That was the song that brought him back to the musical front burner. A song from him had not been in the top ten since "Down In The Boondocks" which went to radio in 1965. It got as far as #9.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly (forever wishing that I had discovered him before his passing)

I find the lyrics to some somewhat strange/disturbing.

Reba sings about a mother that grooms her daughter to become a hooker.

Bruce Springsteen sings a pedophile song.

Toby Keith sings about a stalker/harasser/asshole who becomes a (country) star.

I don't listen to rap which can be even worse.

^^^ What is it about "How Do You Like Me Now?" that makes it questionable?

God bless you and Toby always!!!

Holly

Have you seen the video for “I’m On Fire”? Kind of disturbing subject matter. Likely wouldn’t get made today. The song I always thought was a little out there was “Every Breath You Take” by the Police. That’s a song about just straight stalking a woman. Obviously not seen that way in 1983 or 1984.

Have you seen the video for “I’m On Fire”? Kind of disturbing subject matter. Likely wouldn’t get made today. The song I always thought was a little out there was “Every Breath You Take” by the Police. That’s a song about just straight stalking a woman. Obviously not seen that way in 1983 or 1984.
This video.......?

^^^ What is it about "How Do You Like Me Now?" that makes it questionable?

God bless you and Toby always!!!

Holly
1. He writes the girls name one the 50 yard line and writes "call for a good time" and wonders why she doesn't like him.
2. He is jealous that she married a successful guy. He sings about her having a unhappy marriage because her husband works all the time and doesn't spend time with her. (How the hell does he know? He is off trying to become a star. She may be very happy.)
3. Then he sings "How do you like me now, now that he is on my way".

Seems like a real asshole to me. Questionable -- no. Asshole -- yes.

Yes. Just seemed creepy to me. Driving to a woman’s house uninvited with those lyrics playing was a little disturbing to a younger me.
I agree, but I think lyrics left to the imagination are even worse. At least that video uses a grown woman......not a little girl that lives with her daddy.

1. He writes the girls name one the 50 yard line and writes "call for a good time" and wonders why she doesn't like him.
2. He is jealous that she married a successful guy. He sings about her having a unhappy marriage because her husband works all the time and doesn't spend time with her. (How the hell does he know? He is off trying to become a star. She may be very happy.)
3. Then he sings "How do you like me now, now that he is on my way".

Seems like a real asshole to me. Questionable -- no. Asshole -- yes.
If you watch what happens at the beginning of the song's video, everything that he does was only in retaliation for her decision to not only tell him "No." when he asked her out on a date but laugh at him as if she thinks that she is better than him. If anything, she only brought on herself what was done to her in return. If she didn't want him in the game of immaturity, why did she take the time to show him how the game is to be played?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

1645975244264.png

The only instrumental track to ever be banned from the radio.
Its iconic lead line is that of pure and unadulterated rock ‘n’ roll legend, Link Wray’s effortlessly cool ‘Rumble’ is a song so doused in danger that it remains the only instrumental track to ever be banned from the radio. The song that made the kids “go ape” and was routinely highlighted as one of the most visceral songs of the century... Once described by Rolling Sone as sounding “like an invitation to a knife fight,” the track’s title, ‘Rumble’ struck fear into the hearts of parents across America in the 1950s as its mood filled the room of every place it was played. A fear perpetuated by the gang violence of popular entertainment like The Wild One, West Side Story and many others.
Link Wray, a, Shawnee went on to become Rolling Stone's 45th greatest guitar player.

Stones don't play this anymore and no way could it get released today. Great song BTW

If you watch what happens at the beginning of the song's video, everything that he does was only in retaliation for her decision to not only tell him "No." when he asked her out on a date but laugh at him as if she thinks that she is better than him. If anything, she only brought on herself what was done to her in return. If she didn't want him in the game of immaturity, why did she take the time to show him how the game is to be played?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I am going by the song lyrics. The song videos often don't tell the same story the lyrics of the song tell. If its not in the song lyrics.....it didn't happen per the song.

^^^ At the end of the first verse, it is said that the girl had too many boyfriends to mention and so maybe placing her number on the football field shouldn't have been all that much of a shock to her. Maybe she was mad because the guy tried to help her with something that she already did a good job doing all on her own. To me, if that isn't love on the guy's part, I don't know what is. How can you not love a man who respects the road that his significant other chooses to go down?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ At the end of the first verse, it is said that the girl had too many boyfriends to mention and so maybe placing her number on the football field shouldn't have been all that much of a shock to her. Maybe she was mad because the guy tried to help her with something that she already did a good job doing all on her own. To me, if that isn't love on the guy's part, I don't know what is. How can you not love a man who respects the road that his significant other chooses to go down?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
But he didn't respect the road she went down, and he was never her significant other. If a girl doesn't like a guy, he should just move on....and yes, that can be difficult. Also, its not his place to determine who or how many other boys she dates. The persona of the song is a jerk.

You obviously never listed to the Toby Keith song,

That is not what the song is about.

The song is about a girl who wouldn't give a boy the time of day, and when he becomes a star. he asks, "How do you like me now?"

When I was in high school, I couldn't get most girls to give me the time of day. Then at my 5-year class reunion I showed up sans glasses, wearing my Navy dress uniform (this was shortly after the movie "Officer and a Gentleman" came out), with a beautiful blonde wife on my arm. I was easily the most popular guy at the reunion. I couldn't help thinking, "How do you like me now?'

Forum List

Back