The truth about Truman’s bombing Japan

"The commanding general of the US Army Air Forces, Henry “Hap” Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement 11 days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said that “the Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air.”

"Fleet Adm. Chester Nimitz, the commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet, stated in a public address at the Washington Monument two months after the bombings that “the atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military standpoint, in the defeat of Japan.” Adm. William “Bull” Halsey Jr., the commander of the US Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946 that “the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment…. It was a mistake to ever drop it…. [The scientists] had this toy, and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it…”

"Gen. Dwight Eisenhower stated in his memoirs that when notified by Secretary of War Henry Stimson of the decision to use atomic weapons, he “voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives.” He later publicly declared, “It wasn’t necessary to hit them with that awful thing.” Even the famous hawk Maj. Gen. Curtis LeMay, the head of the Twenty-First Bomber Command, went public the month after the bombing, telling the press that “the atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”

"The record is quite clear: From the perspective of an overwhelming number of key contemporary leaders in the US military, the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not a matter of military necessity. American intelligence had broken the Japanese codes, knew the Japanese government was trying to negotiate surrender through Moscow, and had long advised that the expected early August Russian declaration of war, along with assurances that Japan’s emperor would be allowed to stay as a figurehead, would bring surrender long before the first step in a November US invasion could begin."

"History is rarely simple, and confronting it head-on, with critical honesty, is often quite painful. Myths, no matter how oversimplified or blatantly false, are too often far more likely to be embraced than inconvenient and unsettling truths."

"Walter Trohan, a reporter for the Chicago Tribune with impeccable credentials for integrity and accuracy, reported that two days before President Roosevelt left for the Yalta conference with Churchill and Stalin in early February 1945, he was shown a forty-page memorandum drafted by General MacArthur outlining a Japanese offer for surrender almost identical with the terms subsequently concluded by his successor, President Truman. The single difference was the Japanese insistence on retention of the emperor, which was not acceptable to the American strategists at the time, though it was ultimately allowed in the final peace terms. Trohan relates that he was given a copy of this communication by Admiral Leahy who swore him to secrecy with the pledge not to release the story until the war was over. Trohan honored his pledge and reported his story in the Chicago Tribune and the Washington Times-Herald on August 19, 1945. According to historian Anthony Kubek, Roosevelt, in the presence of witnesses, read the memorandum and dismissed it with a curt “MacArthur is our greatest general and our poorest politician.”
and yet this reporter did not actually provide this memorandum he supposedly had a copy of for proof, go figure.

"the lives of 135,000 to 300,000 mostly Japanese women, children, and old people were sacrificed..."

"The top American military leaders who fought World War II, much to the surprise of many who are not aware of the record, were quite clear that the atomic bomb was unnecessary, that Japan was on the verge of surrender, and—for many—that the destruction of large numbers of civilians was immoral."

Which is a lie since none of them knew of the bomb before it was used

"The record is quite clear: From the perspective of an overwhelming number of key contemporary leaders in the US military, the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not a matter of military necessity. American intelligence had broken the Japanese codes, knew the Japanese government was trying to negotiate surrender through Moscow, and had long advised that the expected early August Russian declaration of war, along with assurances that Japan’s emperor would be allowed to stay as a figurehead, would bring surrender long before the first step in a November US invasion could begin."
The Japanese NEVER offered to surrender through the Soviets you liar. They offered a ceasefire and return to 41 start lines with us giving back all their territory no disarmament no occupation and no concessions in China.

"The record is quite clear: From the perspective of an overwhelming number of key contemporary leaders in the US military, the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not a matter of military necessity.
True

America could have invaded the homeland instead with millions of deaths on both sides

Or they could have worked out a joint occupation with russia such as we later had in Korea

Neither of which was as good as making MacArthur de facto emperor of Japan

True

America could have invaded the homeland instead with millions of deaths on both sides

Or they could have worked out a joint occupation with russia such as we later had in Korea

Or a naval blockade.

Or demonstrated the bomb without deliberately targeting civilians.

Or waited longer.

Or followed up on the previously floated peace overtures MacArthur wrote to fdr about before Yalta.

Or a naval blockade.

Or demonstrated the bomb without deliberately targeting civilians.

Or waited longer.

Or followed up on the previously floated peace overtures MacArthur wrote to fdr about before Yalta.
All of your ideas would have prolonged the war

That is an unsourced and unsubstantiated news clipping from over 5 decades ago that is hidden behind a paywall.

Notice I have original sources, all you have is something without any validation or verification. In other words, the exact same coprolite you have been repeating ad nauseum without proof.
I asked, out of curiosity, and dont see your reply.

let us see your sources, tell us how you have, "original sources". I am not challenging your comments, simply asking to see these sources.

I asked, out of curiosity, and dont see your reply.

let us see your sources, tell us how you have, "original sources". I am not challenging your comments, simply asking to see these sources.
magic intercepts from the war and the captured documents showing the intercepts were spot on

Forum List

Back