The United States is a Democracy.

How do you feel about democracy in our country?

• I'm a conservative, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a conservative, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a conservative, I think we have just enough democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we have just enough democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we have just enough democracy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Full Definition of democracy
plural
democracies
  1. 1a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majorityb : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

So, according to your definition, Athens was never a democracy. Also according to your definition, and elective absolute monarchy would be a democracy.

Full Definition of democracy
plural
democracies
  1. 1a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majorityb : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

So, according to your definition, Athens was never a democracy. Also according to your definition, and elective absolute monarchy would be a democracy.

That's not my definition. It's the dictionary definition.

If the people voted to create an absolute monarchy, they would have voted away their power, so no, DUH, it would no longer be a democracy,

any more than a if an absolute monarch abdicated his throne and was replaced by a different form of government.

Funny thing about dictionary definitions. They often are more populist than technical. A dictionary might define an electron as a subatomic particle that orbits the nucleus of an atom. But it would be wrong, now wouldn't it?

If the people voted to create an absolute monarchy, they would have voted away their power, so no, DUH, it would no longer be a democracy

That contradicts your previous statements. Thank you for acknowledging that you were in error.

The U.S. is a nation founded on Democratic principles, but it's actually a Constitutional Republic. It isn't a pure Democracy. In pure Democracies, Mob-Rule decides things. In our Constitutional Republic System, the minorities' rights are especially protected.

In other words, a 51% isn't given absolute control & power. They're power is checked. Pure Democracies are actually very dangerous. Mob-Rule is often deadly for the minority who won't go along.

Funny thing about dictionary definitions. They often are more populist than technical. A dictionary might define an electron as a subatomic particle that orbits the nucleus of an atom. But it would be wrong, now wouldn't it?

If the people voted to create an absolute monarchy, they would have voted away their power, so no, DUH, it would no longer be a democracy

That contradicts your previous statements. Thank you for acknowledging that you were in error.

You lie.

The U.S. is a nation founded on Democratic principles, but it's actually a Constitutional Republic. It isn't a pure Democracy. In pure Democracies, Mob-Rule decides things. In our Constitutional Republic System, the minorities' rights are especially protected.

Minority rights are only protected if the 'mob' takes action to protect them. We are a democracy.

Minority rights are only protected if the 'mob' takes action to protect them. We are a democracy.

Kinda, sorta. We are not a pure Democracy. We don't allow a 51% majority to oppress the minority. We have checks & balances. Our Founders understood that pure Democracy would lead to ugly Mob-Rule.

Kinda, sorta. We are not a pure Democracy. We don't allow a 51% majority to oppress the minority. We have checks & balances. Our Founders understood that pure Democracy would lead to ugly Mob-Rule.

Nobody can define 'pure democracy'. The term is meaningless.

How's that gay marriage Supreme Court case go? Was that the mob, or something else?

Nobody can define 'pure democracy'. The term is meaningless.
Simple. A pure democracy is an entity that is totally governed by the rule that .... the majority rules.

You are displaying your bias toward stupidity.

Simple. A pure democracy is an entity that is totally governed by the rule that .... the majority rules.

In that case, the Supreme Court is a democracy.
It was meant to be. That doesn't mean that all facets of government follow the majority rule. Some things do...some things don't. Some things require 60% vote of the Senate. Some things require a majority of those present (quorum).

The SCOTUS uses majority rule on every issue. That's why it maintains an odd number of members. In cases where an one judge may abstain, there can be a tie...in which case there is no ruling.

When a 4-4 deadlock does occur, the case is not deemed to have set any sort of precedent. Tradition holds that the court's per curiam opinion in such ties is usually very, very terse, often consisting of no more than a single sentence: "The judgment is affirmed by an equally divided court."

The Texas Abortion law was recently struck down by a 5-3 vote. Had it been 4-4, there would have been no ruling.

Last edited:

It was meant to be. That doesn't mean that all facets of government follow the majority rule. Some things do...some things don't. Some things require 60% vote of the Senate. Some things require a majority of those present (quorum).

So Supreme Court = Democracy
Senate = Not Democracy.

:cuckoo:

So Supreme Court = Democracy
Senate = Not Democracy.

:cuckoo:
The United States government has 3 branches. Judicial and Legislative branches work in a democratic fashion (meaning that generally the majority rules...we don't have dictators, we don't have an oligarchy (though it may appear so when the Majority Leader of the House or Senate bends to rules to get what she/he wants despite the wishes of the members). The least democratic branch is the Executive branch...the President has veto power and the power of Executive Orders, wherein he just writes something into law.

I know it's complicated, but we are not a democracy. We are a democratic republic.

Yes? No? Discuss.
I think we should take the excess democracy from the rich and redistribute it to the poor.

In actuality, we don't have enough democracy to go around, so we will have to borrow quite a bit of democracy. We'll borrow some democracy from the central bank, some democracy from China, and some democracy from Europe. And maybe we can get away with printing some democracy.

Yes? No? Discuss.
I think we should take the excess democracy from the rich and redistribute it to the poor.

In actuality, we don't have enough democracy to go around, so we will have to borrow quite a bit of democracy. We'll borrow some democracy from the central bank, some democracy from China, and some democracy from Europe. And maybe we can get away with printing some democracy.

Har-dee-har-har.

Forum List

Back