There is an ailing 77-year-old Indigenous man named Leonard Peltier in prison for 46 years & never should have been there. Why? pardon him Sleepy Joe!

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
there's only one thread about Peltier on USMB from 12 years ago asking that he should run for president with no replies...hopefully this thread catches fire and the pressure of my thread works on Biden and he releases the poor old soul

Senator Brian Schatz brought up the matter this week with AG Garland, who gave a weak response

Once upon a time, the U.S. government threatened vulnerable people............

It still happens.........

Thanks for the thread. I think of Peltier from time to time, still. Given Obama's support for BLM and looking for police malfeasance, even where imo there was none (Michael Brown) I'd hope he'd grant Peltier clemency. He's no danger. Personally, I think he is guilty for what he was convicted of, but that didn't mean the FBI didn't essentially declare a war on native americans at Pine Ridge.

Thanks for the thread. I think of Peltier from time to time, still. Given Obama's support for BLM and looking for police malfeasance, even where imo there was none (Michael Brown) I'd hope he'd grant Peltier clemency. He's no danger. Personally, I think he is guilty for what he was convicted of, but that didn't mean the FBI didn't essentially declare a war on native americans at Pine Ridge.

He participated in the gunning down of two FBI agents who were looking for someone else.

Fuck him. He should rot in prison.

If he has heart trouble he will get better care in a federal prison than on the street so there's that.

thank you for your interest but please be civil

if it is true that he killed folks, whoever they are, he should be in jail i agree, no matter his illnesses

If he is guilty, as you believe, I have no problem with him remaining in prison.

I have a hard time distinguishing what the FBI did at Ruby Ridge and at Pine Ridge.
So if you are correct about Ruby Ridge, you say it is open season on the FBI anywhere and everywhere else, with no need to prosecute or jail offenders anymore? Did I get that correctly?

Imo it boils down to whether you have public outrage on your side or not. An old Indian from Pine Ridge whose days with AIM were long ago .... nobody remembers him. Even though the FBI changed its facts

I spent some summers at my grandmother's farm in northern nebraska then. Not that I'd ever go back today.

So if you are correct about Ruby Ridge, you say it is open season on the FBI anywhere and everywhere else, with no need to prosecute or jail offenders anymore? Did I get that correctly?

Was Harris and Weaver acquitted for their actions there?

Did Weaver and Harris win large settlements over what the government did that day? Was what Weaver initially was wanted for worth the loss of lives?

When you also consider that these actions perhaps lead McVeigh to do what he did, was it really worth it?

He's been in jail since the 1970s on evidence that ... the FBI changed. He's been eligible for parole for decades. He's no danger. And no, I don't think the FBI has any claim to having to protect its agents years down the road. Ruby Ridge, Waco, Atlanta. The FBI is like herpes. Getting rid of it would be worse than the disease.

And Michael Brown did reach inside that cop's car before the cop shot him. so yeah, there is a double standard.

He's been in jail since the 1970s on evidence that ... the FBI changed. He's been eligible for parole for decades. He's no danger. And no, I don't think the FBI has any claim to having to protect its agents years down the road. Ruby Ridge, Waco, Atlanta. The FBI is like herpes. Getting rid of it would be worse than the disease.

And Michael Brown did reach inside that cop's car before the cop shot him. so yeah, there is a double standard.

We have no actual idea if he did or not. One side is unable to tell their side of the story. So, yeah, there is a double standard.

Was Harris and Weaver acquitted for their actions there?

Did Weaver and Harris win large settlements over what the government did that day? Was what Weaver initially was wanted for worth the loss of lives?

When you also consider that these actions perhaps lead McVeigh to do what he did, was it really worth it?
I don't know who Harris and Weaver are, as you did not reference the incident or provide a link.
McVeigh was aborted 34 years too late.

there's only one thread about Peltier on USMB from 12 years ago asking that he should run for president with no replies...hopefully this thread catches fire and the pressure of my thread works on Biden and he releases the poor old soul

Senator Brian Schatz brought up the matter this week with AG Garland, who gave a weak response

Wasn't the Pine Ridge Reservation a sovereign nation at the time of the incident for which Peltier was jailed?

I haven't seen a "Free Leonard Peltier" bumper sticker in many years, even in Portland and Eugene Oregon, where the guy used to have quite the following.

I don't know who Harris and Weaver are, as you did not reference the incident or provide a link.
McVeigh was aborted 34 years too late.

So if you are not aware of the facts on something you comment on, maybe you don't comment on it?

Forum List

Back