These light, ultra-powerful bricks are made of sugar — and there’s a big reason they may replace concrete in our buildings

catatomic

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2012

Step aside, concrete. There’s a sweet new construction hero in town, and it’s made out of … sugarcane?

Architecture studio Grimshaw and the University of East London (UEL) joined together to create a brick made out of bagasse, a by-product of sugarcane.

Known as Sugarcrete, this bio-building component can serve as a brick, an insulating panel, or a load-bearing element. Moreover, it was developed to be an environment-friendly and affordable alternative to traditional bricks and concrete.

“Despite the global aim to hold global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius [2.7 degrees Fahrenheit], it is estimated that our global built floor areas will double by 2060. Therefore, we must develop alternatives to current construction methods,” UEL senior lecturer Armor Gutierrez Rivas told Construction Management.

Step aside, concrete. There’s a sweet new construction hero in town, and it’s made out of … sugarcane?

Architecture studio Grimshaw and the University of East London (UEL) joined together to create a brick made out of bagasse, a by-product of sugarcane.

Known as Sugarcrete, this bio-building component can serve as a brick, an insulating panel, or a load-bearing element. Moreover, it was developed to be an environment-friendly and affordable alternative to traditional bricks and concrete.

“Despite the global aim to hold global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius [2.7 degrees Fahrenheit], it is estimated that our global built floor areas will double by 2060. Therefore, we must develop alternatives to current construction methods,” UEL senior lecturer Armor Gutierrez Rivas told Construction Management.
How waterproof is it?

Sounds too good to be true.

The cement industry is responsible for around 8% of carbon pollution, even considerably worse than the aviation industry.

8% for something so vital? Sounds like a bargain.

How much is liberal idiocy responsible for, 50%? More?

How waterproof is it?

Sounds too good to be true.
That is what the British are -- almost too good .
I trust we have trussed it with patents .
Although who should be patent holders is a separate moot point , imho .

I would chuckle if we had a decent government who refused to sell it to Terrorist nations -- like the US .

Trouble is, we would also have to ban ourselves

Sugar cane is highly corrosive when wet. It also is highly susceptible to mold and insect infestation.

Sugar producers have to build the floors out of calcium Aluminate bound materials or else replace them every year instead of 10.

I'm not saying that this "new material" made of sugar cane hasn't overcome this problem but it's a major hurdle. Kinda like aluminum panels on drywall. At first looks great...and you think it is great until 5 years later none of the lights or speakers in it work because rain (usually slightly acidic) builds up and the walls are a huge battery that electrocute everyone and everything.

Structurally the bricks might be fine....but there's a ton of other hurdles that this stuff has to overcome. Especially how it interacts with other materials.

I am now highly corrosive when wet. Am also highly susceptible to mold and insect infestation.
Is that your own reconsidered post Killer Shot assessment ?
Good to see you come to your senses at long last .

Interesting full reply of yours but because of your track record I am not sure if it is Fake ,
rofl .

Is that your own reconsidered post Killer Shot assessment ?
Good to see you come to your senses at long last .

Interesting full reply of yours but because of your track record I am not sure if it is Fake ,
rofl .
Well, because you seem to like it...
I know it's crap. You have yet to be right on anything yet....I seriously doubt that this would be an instance of change.

Forum List

Back