Thinking about buying a bike

It's been eons since I've owned a bike. Need something, cruiser style that I can use around town and for occasional highway riding and I'm (unfortunately) a big guy so anything under 1100ccs would probably not cut it. Limited budget also, under $6K so obviously used is the best way to go. Currently looking at a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 Custom but afraid 1800ccs might be a little big for around town.

623b8bbb321bdf21b5673a07.jpg

623cdb487f378b67b960a3ac.jpg

I had a Honda VTX 600 for years. Not sure how big you are, but I'm 6'1" and close to 200 pounds, and it had more than enough power everywhere, hills included. Also, Japanese bikes run like Swiss fucking watches, you should never have a problem with one that's maintained properly. Good luck!

I had a Honda VTX 600 for years. Not sure how big you are, but I'm 6'1" and close to 200 pounds, and it had more than enough power everywhere, hills included. Also, Japanese bikes run like Swiss fucking watches, you should never have a problem with one that's maintained properly. Good luck!
I decided the VTX was way too big for my needs, I'm buying the V-Star (post #20) tomorrow.

I had an 1100 Virago. (predecessor to the Star line)
Good solid bikes.
Knees in the breeze!
I've been checking out vids and other reviews, this is a great bike, more power than one would think a 950 can provide. One reason is it's light for it's class, only 611 pounds wet weight, that's only 50 pounds more than a Harley 883 Iron and about $5k less..........

The shop owner delivered it a couple of hours ago, had to finish clearing a space in the garage for it. Had to stop by my bank and get a form notarized so he could register it in my name with the State. Got the insurance for it and had them email a copy to him, needs it for registering the bike. My helmet is supposed to arrive on Saturday which is when I plan on taking it out and getting used to riding again.

It's been eons since I've owned a bike. Need something, cruiser style that I can use around town and for occasional highway riding and I'm (unfortunately) a big guy so anything under 1100ccs would probably not cut it. Limited budget also, under $6K so obviously used is the best way to go. Currently looking at a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 Custom but afraid 1800ccs might be a little big for around town.

623b8bbb321bdf21b5673a07.jpg

623cdb487f378b67b960a3ac.jpg

FROM THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: Don't pay more than $5k.

You don't need 1800cc. The Honda VTX 1800 is very heavy and ponderous, especially around your driveway and parking lots. The VTX 1300 is the far better choice.

Do you plan to take a rider (wife) with you? The ONLY time when you need "a lot of power" is when you are riding two-up on the highway, with stuff in your bags and need to quickly pass a truck going 70. If you will not experience that specific need, then you don't need a big bike (over 1000cc's.).

Best cruisers to look at are the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's, 900cc's and 1300cc's. They are great bikes, reasonably priced, and usually have been equipped with all the "stuff" you will want if you buy them used. If you are determined to get a bigger bike LOOK AT A KAWASAKI NOMAD. They are great bikes, fully equipped, and can be had for next to nothing. $3,500 is not unusual.

If you are a big guy, you will want both floorboards and highway pegs (bars). But again, if you will be riding by yourself, one of the Japanese 900's (some of which were made in the U.S.) will be more than adequate for your needs.

Look for a 6-speed if you are going to travel on the highway. At 70mph, some of the 5-speeds are a little buzzy.

Check on cycle trader and Moto hunt. Also, check your local craigslist. For a more interesting way of finding a bike, once you have zeroed in on a particular model, go to Google IMAGES, and plug in the model. Many of the pictures will be ads for that bike that you won't find in a traditional search.

Exhibit A: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Yamaha-V+STAR+1100-5019700530

Exhibit B: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Kawasaki-Vulcan®+900+Classic+LT-5020470724

the simple u turn will mess a guy up pretty bad to. its very funny to watch the Sons of Anarchy drop their bikes in a turn, or duck waddle at lights. an MSC helps allot and doesnt cost allot. mine got me a discount on insurance to.

the simple u turn will mess a guy up pretty bad to. its very funny to watch the Sons of Anarchy drop their bikes in a turn, or duck waddle at lights. an MSC helps allot and doesnt cost allot. mine got me a discount on insurance to.
A plaplooperplunk helps a lot too if you know what one is..............

Sorry.
We have them here and since it's been a while I most likely register and take the course. Here if you complete the course the MVD written and road tests are waived.

We have them here and since it's been a while I most likely register and take the course. Here if you complete the course the MVD written and road tests are waived.

same here to. I did it through a dealer. since you are this far in you may as well bookmark cyclegear, revzilla and all that. I started on a harley, but wanrwd something sporty, so im selling the bike and buying an Yamaha FZ07. pretty comfy for what it is, and im tall and fat.

Finally went on a slightly longer cruise today, twenty seven miles. That was fun and I did rather well though I'm tired afterwards.

Talk about out of shape......... I woke up this morning with pretty much everything from my knees down to my feet really sore....... :lol:

Ordered a rear lowering kit from Pacific Coast Star and am considering removing the passenger seat and rear rack, replace them with a rear fender rack if I can find one.

Forum List

Back