This is inhumane

That kind of sacrifice should never be made unless it is absolutely necessary. The circumstances they are in do not warrant that.

I answered it in the Edit ... And I am pretty sure that is where we are having a disconnect.
Again ... I am neither condoning nor justifying any of it ... I just know at least one of the reasons why they do it.

Why do I need to sympathize with this behavior? Either you love your child enough to weather the storm with them, and/or escape it together.

Or you love your child enough to let them weather or flee the storm on their own, with no experience of their own ... wait what? In what universe is that acceptable?
How long did you live in El Salvador or Guatemala? How many close family members were shot to death right in front of you in your own house?

Why do I need to sympathize with this behavior? Either you love your child enough to weather the storm with them, and/or escape it together.

Or you love your child enough to let them weather or flee the storm on their own, with no experience of their own ... wait what? In what universe is that acceptable?
How long did you live in El Salvador or Guatemala? How many close family members were shot to death right in front of you in your own house?

Interesting, none.

But if they were, I wouldn't let my child face such danger alone. The danger exists there, and it will naturally exist on the errant journey I send them on. Alone.

It would prompt me to take up my family on my back and carry them to a safer place. The obligation rests with me to protect them to the best of my ability, even if that means sacrificing myself for their benefit.

This one's a no-brainer, and I am meeting surprising resistance to this mindset.

Seriously ... That's life for these children, and shit you just can't fix with some Neosporin, a Band-Aid, a popsicle and a kiss on the bobo ... :thup:

That kind of sacrifice should never be made unless it is absolutely necessary. The circumstances they are in do not warrant that.

I answered it in the Edit ... And I am pretty sure that is where we are having a disconnect.
Again ... I am neither condoning nor justifying any of it ... I just know at least one of the reasons why they do it.

Ahh, so then. You state it clearly. I don't understand why the child has to be alone through all of this. Why can't the parent be bothered to serve as the sword and shield for their child?

Seriously ... That's life for these children, and shit you just can't fix with some Neosporin, a Band-Aid, a popsicle and a kiss on the bobo ... :thup:

No, this issue requires personal sacrifice on the parent's part. The parent needs to endure the sacrifice they are forcing their children through.

That's it. That's the post.

This makes my blood boil.

What kind of parent sends their poor child thousands of miles alone across treacherous territory to cross our border illegally?

A parent who wants a better life for their child? No. That's a big fat lie. Parents should be with their children through thick and thin, danger and safety, but the parents of this little one aren't.
texas-migrant-girl-01.jpg

What these parents have done to these unaccompanied minors is beyond inhumane.

So anyone saying "they want a better life for their child" can promptly screw off. Sorry. I will always have a soft spot for children, no matter who they are or where they come from.

Don't try to justify this behavior. Don't give me any excuses about "well the parents are helping their children flee from violence"--- if that were true, they would be fleeing with them. I see no love in these actions. None whatsoever.
It is inhumane. But it reflects a choice. That choice being, the parents find it more inhumane NOT to do it. Try to imagine that.

This one's a no-brainer, and I am meeting surprising resistance to this mindset.

We aren't resisting your mindset, just saying that it is very American of you.
Of course the children and their parents don't live in America, and don't think like you do ... Yet anyways.

What kind of parent sends their poor child thousands of miles alone across treacherous territory to cross our border illegally?

A parent who wants a better life for their child? No. That's a big fat lie. Parents should be with their children through thick and thin, danger and safety, but the parents of this little one aren't.

So anyone saying "they want a better life for their child" can promptly screw off. Sorry. I will always have a soft spot for children, no matter who they are or where they come from.

Don't try to justify this behavior. Don't give me any excuses about "well the parents are helping their children flee from violence"--- if that were true, they would be fleeing with them. I see no love in these actions. None whatsoever.
It is inhumane. But it reflects a choice. That choice being, the parents find it more inhumane NOT to do it. Try to imagine that.

I can't. Because you can't possibly be a loving parent and subject a young child to the dark underbelly of humanity alone.

Fascinating.

Elaborate.

"Just saying that is very American of you/"

It's what I have said from the beginning, and elaborated to at length throughout our conversation.
Unlike you ... I adapt and try different approaches in hopes of eventually making a dent.

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess ... :auiqs.jpg:

Fascinating.

Elaborate.

"Just saying that is very American of you/"

It's what I have said from the being, and elaborated to at length throughout our conversation.
Unlike you ... I adapt and try different approaches in hopes of eventually making a dent.

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess ... :auiqs.jpg:

Hmm, I don't adapt unless an argument calls for it.

Such a narrowminded view that "we don't know what they've been through."

It is equally as narrowminded to put a child through that kind of hell alone.

If the parent feels as if the child can endure the hell alone, then perhaps they can too?

Hmm, I don't adapt unless an argument calls for it.

Such a narrowminded view that "we don't know what they've been through."

It is equally as narrowminded to put a child through that kind of hell alone.

If the parent feels as if the child can endure the hell alone, then perhaps they can too?

That's what I meant when I said you could not apply your standards to their condition.

You have the narrow minded view and it is most certainly American.
I am American and can fully understand exactly where you are coming from, what you mean, what you are trying to express ... The whole ball of wax.

However ... You cannot even hazard a guess as to what the parents are thinking.
You are close minded, and cannot fathom anything other than what you think should apply.

You have the luxury of being close minded and thinking that way ... Because you are an American living in America ... :thup:

Then that's for lack of effort or imagination.

So be it.
A good reason to start a thread and rely on the imagination and critical thinking of others, i suppose. I will present a few ideas:

1) they didn't have the money to smuggle themselves and their children

2) they believe the children will be given asylum if they arrive without parents while also believing that, if they go as a group, they will be sent back as a group (after spending their life savings)

3) They see two futures for their children at home: rape and death. This isn't as bad as those

4) the children are not even all from the same family, and a few families compiled theor.life savings to send them

This isn't hard. I think you can do it.

The parents of those children, if they have parents, don't give a shit for their welfare.

Under no condition and under no duress, is acceptable to do that to an innocent and helpless child.

There is no way that is justifiable, SHAME on them!

1) they didn't have the money to smuggle themselves and their children

You don't need money, just sheer strength of will. When it comes to you and your child's welfare, money should be no object or concern.

Anyone genuinely concerned for the welfare of these people will help them free of charge, not take advantage of them for profit. That's what these cartels do. They don't assure the parents their children will be safe on the journey. They take the money regardless if the child lives or dies.

2) they believe the children will be given asylum if they arrive without parents while also believing that, if they go as a group, they will be sent back as a group (after spending their life savings)

The parents may just as easily be given asylum too. So, what's the point of sending the child alone?

3) They see two futures for their children at home: rape and death. This isn't as bad as those

The parent has a future too, with their children. They don't have to experience one hell while subjecting their children to another.

4) the children are not even all from the same family, and a few families compiled theor.life savings to send them

I'm sorry, what?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back