This is why you shouldn't pay burger flippers 15 an hour

Yep, it's why I wonder if it's truly about helping the ones who have been mis-treated by their companies or is it about income redistribution under the guise of helping the citizens on the lower scales be treated fairly ?

Well, the way I look at it is you can't help someone who is "satisfied" to stay on the bottom. I'm always hopeful that such people will somehow realize that there's better to be had, but the unfortunate reality is that those who are not "pushed" out of their comfort zone will not succeed. They want to talk about how they can't pay their bills and all this other crap, yet I live in Alaska (one of the highest costs of living in the country) and we survive on $30k a year. We raised 5 kids, 3 teens at the same time, off $35k a year. And it's not like we really "want" for anything either - I've spent $8k on my computer alone... We have boats, 6 cars, a cabin, and a nice home... Every time we've wanted something "special" we go get second or third jobs and buy it.

I truly believe it's a spending problem, not an income problem...

Companies should have a rule, two years, up or out. Either they move up out of minimum wage or they are fired.

Perhaps that's the solution, at least in that case the blame for high unemployment would fall back on the government instead of falsely blaming it on businesses.

In my office, I had a rule. One year or you are gone. I hired trainees as a receptionist. If in a year they could not be promoted to secretary, I let them go. One receptionist asked me for a raise. I told her no. I would promote her if she thought she could do the work. She quit. She wanted a low level job as a career.

It ended well. 6 months later she was back ready for better.

I have seen people working entry level jobs all their lives. Why? What a waste.

In my office, I had a rule. One year or you are gone. I hired trainees as a receptionist. If in a year they could not be promoted to secretary, I let them go. One receptionist asked me for a raise. I told her no. I would promote her if she thought she could do the work. She quit. She wanted a low level job as a career.

. She ask you for a raise, in which meant she wanted to be moved up although you figured she wasn't ready yet. So she quit because by you not giving her the raise, she figured she didn't make the cut so she quit. You made a statement that she wanted a career at the bottom, but I ask how can you say such a thing about someone ? No one wants s career at the bottom, and to suggest such a thing is ridiculous. She undoubtedly figured she could do better or apply herself better, and she returned to prove it. Glad it worked out, but hope you learned something also in the ordeal. Now did you finally give her the raise or did you ask her if she wanted to just do the job for a low wage since she wanted to make the low wage job her career ?

Perhaps that's the solution, at least in that case the blame for high unemployment would fall back on the government instead of falsely blaming it on businesses.
. Ahhhh the blame game.... What it's all about right ? As long as everyone can keep pointing them fingers, and keeping the people's heads spinning in both directions, then the game is being won right ? Now who is trying to win the game the most ?

Companies should have a rule, two years, up or out. Either they move up out of minimum wage or they are fired.

GAH>... WHAT IF THE EMPLOYEE DOES NOT WANT TO?!?!?

You people........... Do you not get that some people don't want a job that has any responsibility, that has flexible hours, that is close to home?

Why are there so many people that think they know better than the employee himself, as to what works for their life?

Again....
What if that's what they want? "what a waste" who are you to make that judgement? I know people who make LESS than minimum wage, and that's what they wanted. Who are you to DEMAND others follow your DICTATION on their lives?

Do you believe in freedom of choice OR NOT?!?

You people........... Do you not get that some people don't want a job that has any responsibility, that has flexible hours, that is close to home?

Why are there so many people that think they know better than the employee himself, as to what works for their life?
. I think the person was referring to the minimum wage job... Everyone should have to exit that status either 6 months to a year at a job. Then they should be eligible for what is offered in a structural ladder type pay system that is set up in the company. After that if an employee wants to hang out near the bottom by choice, then so be it. No company should work to hold anyone down for profits to be gained in that type of thinking or situation. The company should honor choice yes, but not keep people at minimum wage level even if they want for some idiotic reason to stay at that pay. The wage should only be an entrance and training pay, and it should not go beyond 6/months to a year in most cases.

Last edited:

. She ask you for a raise, in which meant she wanted to be moved up although you figured she wasn't ready yet. So she quit because by you not giving her the raise, she figured she didn't make the cut so she quit. You made a statement that she wanted a career at the bottom, but I ask how can you say such a thing about someone ? No one wants s career at the bottom, and to suggest such a thing is ridiculous. She undoubtedly figured she could do better or apply herself better, and she returned to prove it. Glad it worked out, but hope you learned something also in the ordeal. Now did you finally give her the raise or did you ask her if she wanted to just do the job for a low wage since she wanted to make the low wage job her career ?

Actually, that's not true. There are people who want a career at the bottom. They do exist. In fact many of them.

There are many people who want a career that has freedom and flexibility, and low stress, and low responsibility.

I've known some. Several in fact. My last big job, we had a lady there who had a degree in engineering, and all she was doing was typing up documentation. Using almost none of her degree. She quit and went to work for NetJets, which if you know the company is huge, with massive upward mobility, and paid nearly double her salary at the "document" job. In under 8 months, she came back. Cut her pay in half. Why? NetJets expected tons of work, tons of hours, dedication, and there was stress and time tables to be kept. That comes with the pay raise.

Well, she didn't want that. She wanted to be able to stay at home, when needed. She wanted time with her kids. She wanted flexibility in her schedule. So she's in a dead end job, that will be her career for life. IT IS WHAT SHE WANTED.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU SHOULD DICTATE TO OTHERS HOW THEY LIVE?!?

When I was in high school, my shift manager, who earned just 50¢ more than me an hour, (when the minimum wage was $4.25), had a degree in architecture. 4-Year degree in architecture from Ohio State University. She's earning $5/hour or less. (maybe a bit more, but not much). Why? Because that is what she wanted. I asked her! Why the heck are you here!! "well I wanted to work close to home, and spend more time with my kids, and have a flexible work shift...."

YES, some people want these jobs. Why so many Americans think it's their job to dictate what jobs others have, is the most frustrating aspect of this discussion. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

. I think the person was referring to the minimum wage job... Everyone should have to exit that status either 6 months to a year at a job. Then they should be eligible for what is offered in a structural ladder type pay system that is set up in the company. After that if an employee wants to hang out near the bottom by choice, then so be it. No company should work to hold anyone down for profits to be gained in that type of thinking or situation.

I don't know any company that "hold's people down". What company does that? Give me an example? You know the CEO of Walmart started out unloading trucks as a seasonal worker? You know that 3/4ths of all McDonald store managers, started out as entry level hourly crew?

Which company does what you claim? Who is doing this? Explain?

Again....
What if that's what they want? "what a waste" who are you to make that judgement? I know people who make LESS than minimum wage, and that's what they wanted. Who are you to DEMAND others follow your DICTATION on their lives?

. You know people who want less than minimum wage eh, and they don't want anymore than that ever eh ? Now that is an interesting group of friends or acquaintances you have there. Don't get mad if I don't believe such a thing.

Actually, that's not true. There are people who want a career at the bottom. They do exist. In fact many of them.

There are many people who want a career that has freedom and flexibility, and low stress, and low responsibility.

I've known some. Several in fact. My last big job, we had a lady there who had a degree in engineering, and all she was doing was typing up documentation. Using almost none of her degree. She quit and went to work for NetJets, which if you know the company is huge, with massive upward mobility, and paid nearly double her salary at the "document" job. In under 8 months, she came back. Cut her pay in half. Why? NetJets expected tons of work, tons of hours, dedication, and there was stress and time tables to be kept. That comes with the pay raise.

Well, she didn't want that. She wanted to be able to stay at home, when needed. She wanted time with her kids. She wanted flexibility in her schedule. So she's in a dead end job, that will be her career for life. IT IS WHAT SHE WANTED.

When I was in high school, my shift manager, who earned just 50¢ more than me an hour, (when the minimum wage was $4.25), had a degree in architecture. 4-Year degree in architecture from Ohio State University. She's earning $5/hour or less. (maybe a bit more, but not much). Why? Because that is what she wanted. I asked her! Why the heck are you here!! "well I wanted to work close to home, and spend more time with my kids, and have a flexible work shift...."

YES, some people want these jobs. Why so many Americans think it's their job to dictate what jobs others have, is the most frustrating aspect of this discussion. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
. You must be a plant, because no one is buying your crap about someone wanting to remain at minimum wage in which this topic is about. You said she wanted to come back at half the pay, but still that's not at minimum wage.

Again....

. You know people who want less than minimum wage eh, and they don't want anymore than that ever eh ? Now that is an interesting group of friends or acquaintances you have there. Don't get mad if I don't believe such a thing.

My grandmother lived (when she was alive), in Portsmouth Ohio, way down south in the hills. There was a guy there with a wife and several kids, and they lived in a ground level flat, on the outskirts of town. He would load up his truck with a lawn mower, and mow lawns of retired people. He earned about $10,000 a year.

We ended up doing a little investigative on this, because granny decided to put Lawn mower man in the will, and we wanted to make sure that she wasn't being conned by the guy. Sure enough, he earned about $10,000 a year.

We talked with the dude. He was cool about it. He could have gotten a job at Wendy's working a straight 40 hours, and increased his income 50%. In fact, he was a likable guy, I betcha he could have been a manager, and earned at least $20K.

But.... he didn't want to. He liked setting his own hours, and he liked being able to "go huntin in the woods" as he said.

Now, by the way... I'm not suggesting that people don't want to earn more money. Everyone wants to earn more money. What they don't want to do, is do what is required to earn that more money. I'm sure if he could have earned $100,000 mowing 3 lawns a week, he'd have taken the cash.

But there are people who simply would rather do a menial job, and earn little. I'm one of those people actually. I haven't earned more than $20,000 in a single year yet. I was offered a job at Honda. Turned it down. Offered another as a store manager for an auto-parts store. Turned it down. I don't want to do all that.

Why should people like you... force me to do jobs I don't want, because you don't think anyone should have a low paying job?

. You must be a plant, because no one is buying your crap about someone wanting to remain at minimum wage in which this topic is about. You said she wanted to come back at half the pay, but still that's not at minimum wage.

Well if you are talking absolute minimum wage, than honestly, not many anywhere, pay absolute minimum wage for any stable full time job.

All the way back in the 1990s, when I worked at Wendy's, I wasn't working for minimum wage. If you are a full-time employee, you are already paid more than minimum.

In fact, in all the jobs I have ever worked, cashier at a grocery store, Wendy's McDonalds, temp worker at a manufacturing plant... the lowest paid jobs I've had, NONE of them were minimum wage.

The only people I know that worked absolute minimum, were people who were both new, and worked part time. You are a bran new part time employee, working 20 hours or less mopping the floor at Wendy's... you might be minimum wage. And even that depends on the store. You work down-town, even the part time people are paid a full dollar over minimum.

So if you want to restrict this discussion to only those working the absolute minimum wage, then you pretty much have eliminated your own argument, because a person who specific applies for a part time job... is doing so because they want a part time job.

That said, my point was against your claim that everyone wants to move up the corporate ladder, and earn more. That's not true. Regardless of what level of income they are at, not everyone wants to move up to a better higher paid position.

Only in America, can a rich white guy, with orange skin, ie Trump who by the way, and others like him are the reason wages in this country hasn't caught up with inflation and the cost of living since the late 60's, convince stupid ignorant white people that its Obama's the black guys fought, life now sucks in america...LOLOLOL. Not these rich white mf's, these CEO's, the Wall street fucks, who keep their white ass's out of the middle class....endlessly. Truth be told, if this country stayed with the cost of living, min. wage should be about 20 bucks an hour.

80% of the jobs in this country are all service industry jobs, just about....and that includes the burger flippers that I hope spit on your shit when you come in, moron.

If burger flippers were paid $20 an hour, how much more would a Cheese burger cost?

Only in America, can a rich white guy, with orange skin, ie Trump who by the way, and others like him are the reason wages in this country hasn't caught up with inflation and the cost of living since the late 60's, convince stupid ignorant white people that its Obama's the black guys fought, life now sucks in america...LOLOLOL. Not these rich white mf's, these CEO's, the Wall street fucks, who keep their white ass's out of the middle class....endlessly. Truth be told, if this country stayed with the cost of living, min. wage should be about 20 bucks an hour.

80% of the jobs in this country are all service industry jobs, just about....and that includes the burger flippers that I hope spit on your shit when you come in, moron.

If burger flippers were paid $20 an hour, how much more would a Cheese burger cost?

It would be about $20. I gather that from Norway, where the average employee earns $16, and a burger costs about $16. (rough numbers, but pretty close)

Forum List

Back