This should be interesting

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
Granny is supposed to be on 11:00 news tonight.

As a general rule, I don't answer phone calls from "Private Number," "Unknown Caller," and similar callers. But I had a couple calls from a Knoxville number and have answered. Happened again yesterday and this dude says my LifeAlert system is ready for delivery and blah, blah, blah. It's "similar to ads seen on TV - you know - I've fallen and I can't get up." And guess what? It's already been paid for!!! Woohoo!! I tried to get the guy to shut up: LISTEN ... TO ... ME!!! blah, blah STOP ... READING ... YOUR ... SCRIPT!!! At which point I realized I was yelling at a pre-recorded message. :wtf: I was supposed to press #_ if I wanted to accept delivery or #_ if I wanted to decline delivery.

I don't know if this is a nationwide scam or just around the Knoxville area. But I got all full of piss and vinegar and called my local TV station - good way to get the word out to others. Apparently another station carried a story about this a couple weeks ago - but I don't watch that station. This afternoon a reporter called and asked if she could come by and interview me ... and so she did ... and now I'm supposed to be on the late news. They're targeting elders who are a very easy target. Once that damn thing is delivered you can bet someone is going to be asking for credit card or bank account information.

Last edited:
Glad you called up to let other people know about this. Man, it is sickening how people will try to scam people. I heard there were some cases where they charge you money just for picking up the phone!

As a general rule, I don't answer phone calls from "Private Number," "Unknown Caller," and similar callers. But I had a couple calls from a Knoxville number and have answered. Happened again yesterday and this dude says my LifeAlert system is ready for delivery and blah, blah, blah. It's "similar to ads seen on TV - you know - I've fallen and I can't get up." And guess what? It's already been paid for!!! Woohoo!! I tried to get the guy to shut up: LISTEN ... TO ... ME!!! blah, blah STOP ... READING ... YOUR ... SCRIPT!!! At which point I realized I was yelling at a pre-recorded message. :wtf: I was supposed to press #_ if I wanted to accept delivery or #_ if I wanted to decline delivery.

I don't know if this is a nationwide scam or just around the Knoxville area. But I got all full of piss and vinegar and called my local TV station - good way to get the word out to others. Apparently another station carried a story about this a couple weeks ago - but I don't watch that station. This afternoon a reporter called and asked if she could come by and interview me ... and so she did ... and now I'm supposed to be on the late news. They're targeting elders who are a very easy target. Once that damn thing is delivered you can bet someone is going to be asking for credit card or bank account information.

Why are you on the news? Another arrest? ;) J/K
I'll have my out-laws tune in if they haven't hit the hay yet...old people ***sigh***.:eusa_angel: <3

Why are you on the news? Another arrest? ;) J/K
I'll have my out-laws tune in if they haven't hit the hay yet...old people ***sigh***.:eusa_angel: <3

Be sure to hold up your

I heart USMB

sign.

A USMB poster has made the big time, woot!!!!

Only one woot? Damn, it was the lead story of the night!

It was a good interview and of course they cut a lot of stuff to accommodate a 1 to 1-1/2 minute slot. But the point got across. As it is, LifeAlert has put a notice on their website that they do not use telemarketers and that this is a scam. There's an on-going investigation to find out who's behind the scam.

I just wish I'd had more warning so I could have had time to get myself all gussied up. LOL

It's a form of elder abuse as far as I'm concerned. There are so many elders out there who are such easy targets. And there are so many people out there who are so willing to take advantage of them. Actually, they'll take advantage of anybody - and they need to have as much bad publicity as possible. It's a small thing to do to raise the alarm.

Forum List

Back