Donald Trump Says That People Who Destroy The American Flag Should Be Prosecuted

Should People Who Destroy The American Flag Be Prosecuted?

• Total voters
What you are missing is that they stole a flag off a government building and burned it. That is a criminal offense and warrants prosecution.

What part of "you should get a one-year jail sentence if you do anything to desecrate the American flag" did you not understand?

Trump didn't limit himself to stealing a flag and burning it. But simply the desecration of the American flag.

Destroying someone else's property is definitely a crime. And that's the crime they should be prosecuted for. But its not a crime to burn a flag specifically. Nor should it be.

The Supreme Court has already ruled on this. Though precedent isn't what it used to be.

Of course, jailing black and brown people strips them of voting rights so there is that!!!

I don't recall Trump mentioning race with regards to his proposal. If you break a law, then you should be punished, regardless of race. If more black and brown people are per capita breaking the law, that is their own fault. It isn't racist.

It's a fucking piece of cloth. Yes, burning it is free speech.
Goood... good...
How about:

1721932463923.png

It wasn't their piece of cloth.

On the burning of someone else's property, I agree. But I'd say the same thing if they burned someone else's laundry, car, or lawn.

But its the flag specifically that Trump insists should require punishment if burned.

"you should get a one-year jail sentence if you do anything to desecrate the American flag"

No, you shouldn't. If you burn someone else's flag, you should be charged with destruction of property. But there is no such crime as 'desecrating the American Flag'. Nor should there be.

What you are missing is that they stole a flag off a government building and burned it. That is a criminal offense and warrants prosecution.
You’re missing that Trump said anyone who desecrates the flag should serve a year in jail.

Has nothing to do with theft and vandalism.

Just another example of the right attack on free speech.

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
I'm on the fence with him about this one. Part of me agrees with him and part of me says well in this country there's freedom to do that. I think that better punishment would be that if you burn this nation's flag then pack your bags but that's just my opinion.

He should amend that to be those who destroy somebody else's flag should be prosecuted. If it's their own flag they bought and paid for, they have the right to destroy it however despicable that is.

I would have no problem with making it illegal to burn ANYTHING on somebody else's private property without their express permission and/or to burn ANYTHING on public property except in clearly designated areas (campgrounds, etc.) or without getting a permit to do so.

Apart from that, public opinion should so protect the flag that only the scummiest of scumbags would choose to disrespect one.

He should amend that to be those who destroy somebody else's flag should be prosecuted. If it's their own flag they bought and paid for, they have the right to destroy it however despicable that is.

I would have no problem with making it illegal to burn ANYTHING on somebody else's private property without their express permission and/or to burn ANYTHING on public property except in clearly designated areas (campgrounds, etc.) or without getting a permit to do so.

Destroying someone's property is a crime. But "desecrating a flag"? There's no such crime.

Why then should anyone serve a year in jail for violating an imaginary crime?

Last edited:
Most of the flag burners are so uneducated. They think they are doing that for the cause...they just don't realize that, it is for the wrong reason. They think that, it serves a purpose - what they seem to ignore the fact, it serves no purpose at all. They are the sheep.

So sad so many people dont know what the flag is. The flag is our history, our country. The flag is speech. The flag is my speech. The flag is the speech of all veterans. The flag is the speech of those that dies at Ghettysburg, Concord, Lexington, Bunker Hill.

The flag is the speech of our country. People who say it is okay to burn our country, our history, our speech have no place in a free world.

There are two sides, go ahead, stand with those who burn flags.

There are those of us who will put out those fires, stop those who destroy the flag.

So sad so many people dont know what the flag is. The flag is our history, our country. The flag is speech. The flag is my speech. The flag is the speech of all veterans. The flag is the speech of those that dies at Ghettysburg, Concord, Lexington, Bunker Hill.

The flag is the speech of our country. People who say it is okay to burn our country, our history, our speech have no place in a free world.

There are two sides, go ahead, stand with those who burn flags.

There are those of us who will put out those fires, stop those who destroy the flag.

Its sadder when people don't know what rights are. And think violating someone's freedom is more important than a symbol of freedom.

I don't know. Why should they? I certainly didn't argue that in my post.

I'm arguing it in this thread about Trump saying that "you should get a one-year jail sentence if you do anything to desecrate the American flag".

Desecrating the American Flag isn't a crime. So obviously, no one should do any jail time for violating an imaginary crime.

Most of the flag burners are so uneducated. They think they are doing that for the cause...they just don't realize that, it is for the wrong reason. They think that, it serves a purpose - what they seem to ignore the fact, it serves no purpose at all. They are the sheep.
Even the leftists should see burning/desecrating/disrespecting it as unacceptable because of how painful it is for those who fought, were wounded, risked and/or gave all for that flag, who had their hearts ripped out when the flag draped caskets came home, who have been handed a folded one at a funeral/memorial service. Also maybe to a lesser but real degree for those of us who love this country and all it was intended to be and for the horrible example it sets for children.

1721933734907.png

Forum List

Back