Donald Trump Says That People Who Destroy The American Flag Should Be Prosecuted

Should People Who Destroy The American Flag Be Prosecuted?

• Total voters
Even the leftists should see burning/desecrating/disrespecting it as unacceptable because of how painful it is for those who fought, were wounded, risked and/or gave all for that flag, who had their hearts ripped out when the flag draped caskets came home, who have been handed a folded one at a funeral/memorial service. Also maybe to a lesser but real degree for those of us who love this country and all it was intended to be and for the horrible example it sets for children.

View attachment 984024

So someone's rights should be stripped from them because of your feelings?

I'm arguing it in this thread about Trump saying that "you should get a one-year jail sentence if you do anything to desecrate the American flag".

Desecrating the American Flag isn't a crime. So obviously, no one should do any jail time for violating an imaginary crime.
You obviously didn't read my post or you wouldn't have argued the way you did.

Democrats ladies and gentlemen, scum of the earth just watch them.

Laughing....so folks who believe in defending 1st amendment rights are 'scum of the earth'?

People and their freedoms are more important than mere symbols of freedom.

I'd think this is obvious. But clearly it needs to be said.

When you complete that remedial reading comprehension course I have recommended for so many leftist loonies, get back to me on that.

We both agree that burning a flag is disrespectful and hurtful. But I think we both agree that it should still be legal.

Trump believes it should be a crime. And he's wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I'm on the fence with him about this one. Part of me agrees with him and part of me says well in this country there's freedom to do that. I think that better punishment would be that if you burn this nation's flag then pack your bags but that's just my opinion.

A man who incited an in surrection to stay in power needs to shut the fuck up.

We both agree that burning a flag is disrespectful and hurtful. But I think we both agree that it should still be legal.

Trump believes it should be a crime. And he's wrong.
I believe it should be a crime to destroy somebody else's flag which was the case in the protests this week. It should be a crime to burn a flag or anything else on public property without a permit. It should be a crime to burn a flag or anything else on somebody else's private property without their express permission.

And for any honorable person who cares about other people, burning or desecrating or disrespecting a flag in protest or to make a statement should be condemned as despicable, contemptible, unacceptable, and indefensible whether or not it is legal.

Its sadder when people don't know what rights are. And think violating someone's freedom is more important than a symbol of freedom.
Uh, the act of burning a flag, if that is a right than my right is to stop the burning of a flag.

The flag is not a symbol, it is a flag. It is much much more than what you demean it to be.

As long as a protestor has a flag, and begins the desecration of the flag, their speech has been stated. No right is violated when I excercise my right to stop the desecration.

Sorry, if you claim to be an american, protecting the flag is your furst duty as a citizen.

I know as that's what kept me from voting yes but at exactly the same time it just feels completely wrong to me to destroy something that represents our country so that's why I voted undecided.

It's a piece of cloth. It doesn't "represent your country", because it's inanimate.

If the symbol matters more than the principles it's supposed to represent, you've lost sight of those principles.

I think that desecrating a flag is a dumb thing to do. What I find truly offensive is carrying NAZI flags, or other flags representing hate groups. My older brothers fought in WWII against the NAZI's and there is NOTHING redeeming about their policies or beliefs, or anyone espousing them.

So whille you have the right to express views that are odious, at best, my right to freedom of speech gives me the right to disassociate myself from you or anyone espousing such disgusting ideals and beliefs.

Sorry, if you claim to be an american, protecting the flag is your furst duty as a citizen.
Nope
Protecting the basic constitutional rights that the flag SYMBOLIZES is your first duty.
Once you take away the rights (including free speech) then that flag becomes a symbol of nothing. Just a piece of cotton, or rayon, or polyester.
Most likely made in China or Vietnam.

Forum List

Back