Thoughts about the 'Desiderata'

In this world we will have tribulation. We can elevate our thinking and think good thoughts but not everything is going to take the pain away until our savior comes.

Loud and aggressive people can be troubling.

Some could be confrontational, others unwilling to listen to you. They seem diametrically opposite to the kind of character the poem/advice is giving you.

I have a living hope and a savior that loves and cares about me and in the end, He will take care of me.

That is what I believe. Honestly---I have had either some unusual challenges or I lack the ability to reason--or what?

eh--My parents --could not agree on much--just could not. Yes, I love them, yes --I forgive them---things still got messed up. The stories that are told every day--until--if you are like me--you don't want to hear 'another one'.

Thinking ==discussing a little bit--helps from time to time.

My spiritual prescription (RX) starts with this and I actually practice it but I often neglect it because I listen to verse by verse teachings on my commute to and from work.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:8 ¶ Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Other than this, I would beg God to take whatever it is bothering me and He would give me His power to take it away.

Or I could take my thoughts captive by thinking on other things but worry is the absence of prayer.

don't have audio at present. hope it was something nice.

nothing funny about this--at all.

'nuff said.

'Morning Has Broken'--I chose that for my brother's funeral. Means a lot to me--fwiw.

sigh--another trigger. died 6 yrs ago--lung cancer--had done drugs --never found a way 'back'.

why--what---?? you might ask--nothing exceptional---two good people for parents--couldn't do 'all that they needed to do'. end of story. happens all the time --all the time. If your life has not been touched by this in any way--I pray that you will never know 'what I am talking about'.

respectfully.

tried to discover more about that link--doesn't seem appropriate--don't understand.

you could be mocking me?

not the first----nor the last.

'the slings and arrows'---mockery --because you 'can'?

such is the world. it hurts. why add to anyone else's pain?

but we do--that is what we do.

tried to discover more about that link--doesn't seem appropriate--don't understand.

you could be mocking me?

not the first----nor the last.

'the slings and arrows'---mockery --because you 'can'?

such is the world. it hurts. why add to anyone else's pain?

but we do--that is what we do.

No, not mocking...just being silly.

I know the word Desiderata from that album, not the poem.

they are heavy metal? I think I missed a lot of that.

70's---when I listened to a lot of music.

I like a lot of music--haven't heard it all.

and certainly 'do not know it all'.

pulling myself together---silly---I live in the South---and what we say--always dance to Rocky Top...

let the world go on spinning.

That poem was popular in the Hippy days. I love it and consider it excellent advice. A lot of it parallels scripture. A line that Christians may take exception to is, "be at peace with God, what ever you conceive Him to be... " I don't believe that means gods but our personal perception of the one true God. His use of God is singular. The author must have been a gentle man.

That poem was popular in the Hippy days. I love it and consider it excellent advice. A lot of it parallels scripture. A line that Christians may take exception to is, "be at peace with God, what ever you conceive Him to be... " I don't believe that means gods but our personal perception of the one true God. His use of God is singular. The author must have been a gentle man.

that is what it means to me---grieving my brother today---drugs--al anon etc--I know who I conceive God to me.

Frankly--sometimes those 'in churches' have added to the pain.

well meaning but--he was My brother--whatever else he was. He is with Christ now.

wideness to God's mercy--I will always believe that those who 'failed' for reasons beyond their control receive the greatest mercy.

I don't need any proof.

Faith. if it is a little as a grain of mustard seed.... my mother taught us that. She couldn't 'fix' my father---he grew up in a children's home. and my cousin became a well respected doctor---veterinarian---animal research for an institution that is well respected in some circles. her father was older than mine---all I can ever figure out.

I shouldn't say anymore. my brother was smart, he was kind, he was musically talented. I loved him.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

===

About the Desiderata

snopes.com: Desiderata Authorship

sigh--I realty do like to read it.

'go placidly'--I'd like to do that.

afraid I am somewhat like Peter---apparently---he did OK?

also somewhat like David.

a rather challenging combination.

my poor minister--'You could try to be like John'--Christ's best friend.

loyal--I think that is what he meant.

Forum List

Back