Time to invest in America

In a free market system, you can't get rich in immoral ways. You get rich by providing people with things they want and need. You get rich by serving others. When you realize that, you have alot more power.
You are as delusional about economics as you are about religion.

Do you believe ANYTHING that is true?

Can you name someone who got rich being immoral?

What is the name of the drug kingpin that recently got busted in Mexico? Salazar or something. He is real rich.

Bernie Madoff was rich and immoral.

People get plenty rich off immoral activity. They also go to jail.

In a free market system, you can't get rich in immoral ways. You get rich by providing people with things they want and need. You get rich by serving others. When you realize that, you have alot more power.

What play-crib did you just crawl out of, Infant?

Nothing easier !!!

John D. Rockefeller

The railroads were fighting fiercely for traffic and, in an attempt to create a cartel to control freight rates, formed the South Improvement Company in collusion with Standard and other oil men outside the main oil centers. The cartel received preferential treatment as a high-volume shipper, which included not just steep rebates of up to 50% for their product, but also rebates for the shipment of competing products. Part of this scheme was the announcement of sharply increased freight charges. This touched off a firestorm of protest from independent oil well owners, including boycotts and vandalism, which eventually led to the discovery of Standard Oil's part in the deal....

Undeterred, though vilified for the first time by the press, Rockefeller continued with his self-reinforcing cycle of buying competing refiners, improving the efficiency of his operations, pressing for discounts on oil shipments, undercutting his competition, making secret deals, raising investment pools, and buying rivals out. In less than four months in 1872, in what was later known as "The Cleveland Conquest" or "The Cleveland Massacre," Standard Oil had absorbed 22 of its 26 Cleveland competitors....If they refused his offer, he told them he would run them into bankruptcy and then cheaply buy up their assets at auction....

By the end of the 1870s, Standard was refining over 90% of the oil in the U.S. Rockefeller had already become a millionaire....

The firm was attacked by journalists and politicians throughout its existence, in part for these monopolistic methods, giving momentum to the antitrust movement. By 1880, according to the New York World, Standard Oil was "the most cruel, impudent, pitiless, and grasping monopoly that ever fastened upon a country."....

One of the most effective attacks on Rockefeller and his firm was the 1904 publication of The History of the Standard Oil Company, by Ida Tarbell, a leading muckraker. She documented the company’s espionage, price wars, heavy-handed marketing tactics, and courtroom evasions Although her work prompted a huge backlash against the company, Tarbell claims to have been surprised at its magnitude. “I never had an animus against their size and wealth, never objected to their corporate form. I was willing that they should combine and grow as big and wealthy as they could, but only by legitimate means. But they had never played fair, and that ruined their greatness for me.”
emphases added

where would all the money for investments come from?

Our "entreprenurial" potus wants a "one time" levy on something like those evil doer offshore corporate profits. Why he continues with his elitist meme that has as much chance of getting through congress as I have of again running a sub ten minute mile ... I have no idea. Hubris, perhaps.

Teddy Kennedy... well, no he was born rich.

Here's one... John Kerry.

Immie

Last edited:
America shouldn't be falling below China in many area's as we're. We can't even keep our satellites(data) or hurricane hunters funded at current rate. It's time to go back to 2008 funding for these programs at the very least.

Let's end all the wars and nation building. I am not asking for hundreds of billions of wasteful spending on a middle eastern country...I am asking for a few tens of billions on protecting the American people from severe weather, hurricanes and maintaining our science programs.

I am sick of seeing the programs that make our nation the super power as much as our military being destroyed. For what? Because we wanted to build schools and suck muslim dick for a decade.

What is the name of the drug kingpin that recently got busted in Mexico? Salazar or something. He is real rich.

The drug kingpin is now probably broke and certainly in jail for a long time.
Madoff is bankrupt and in jail.

Yeah, you can cheat for a while but not if you dont want to end up bankrupt and in jail.

The drug kingpin is now probably broke and certainly in jail for a long time.
Madoff is bankrupt and in jail.

Yeah, you can cheat for a while but not if you dont want to end up bankrupt and in jail.

Unless you’re in congress.

They have been getting rich for decades immorally and have gotten off that horse scott free.

Obama's plans cutting the corporate tax isn't a bad one. ;) Making it good for the businesses = good. People making more then a million a year are those corrupt ceo's and I also agree that they should be taxed a little bit more. We have to make a system that is good for businesses while being good for our nations edge.

This way they can't fuck over the consumers....

We should fund Nasa, Noaa, Nhc, and r@D at 2011 rates at the least.

Get out of the middle east
Stop the nation building besides our own

You want America to lead the world? Your answer to this will be rather you do or not.

Last edited:

Nothing easier !!!

John D. Rockefeller

The railroads were fighting fiercely for traffic and, in an attempt to create a cartel to control freight rates, formed the South Improvement Company in collusion with Standard and other oil men outside the main oil centers. The cartel received preferential treatment as a high-volume shipper, which included not just steep rebates of up to 50% for their product, but also rebates for the shipment of competing products. Part of this scheme was the announcement of sharply increased freight charges. This touched off a firestorm of protest from independent oil well owners, including boycotts and vandalism, which eventually led to the discovery of Standard Oil's part in the deal....

Undeterred, though vilified for the first time by the press, Rockefeller continued with his self-reinforcing cycle of buying competing refiners, improving the efficiency of his operations, pressing for discounts on oil shipments, undercutting his competition, making secret deals, raising investment pools, and buying rivals out. In less than four months in 1872, in what was later known as "The Cleveland Conquest" or "The Cleveland Massacre," Standard Oil had absorbed 22 of its 26 Cleveland competitors....If they refused his offer, he told them he would run them into bankruptcy and then cheaply buy up their assets at auction....

By the end of the 1870s, Standard was refining over 90% of the oil in the U.S. Rockefeller had already become a millionaire....

The firm was attacked by journalists and politicians throughout its existence, in part for these monopolistic methods, giving momentum to the antitrust movement. By 1880, according to the New York World, Standard Oil was "the most cruel, impudent, pitiless, and grasping monopoly that ever fastened upon a country."....

One of the most effective attacks on Rockefeller and his firm was the 1904 publication of The History of the Standard Oil Company, by Ida Tarbell, a leading muckraker. She documented the company’s espionage, price wars, heavy-handed marketing tactics, and courtroom evasions Although her work prompted a huge backlash against the company, Tarbell claims to have been surprised at its magnitude. “I never had an animus against their size and wealth, never objected to their corporate form. I was willing that they should combine and grow as big and wealthy as they could, but only by legitimate means. But they had never played fair, and that ruined their greatness for me.”
emphases added

First, it's interesting you have to go back over 100 years to find an example.
Second, I didnt see anything that companies today dont do, especially Kroger and WalMart.
Third, Standard Oil kept prices artificially low during this time because they were afraid of inviting competition. So the consumer benefitted from all that.

Nothing easier !!!

John D. Rockefeller

emphases added
Since I wish to be fair and bi-partisan ---

What is the true source of the Kennedy family's wealth?

Joseph P. Kennedy was the ambitious son of a prosperous Boston saloon keeper and ward boss. He married the mayor's daughter, went to Harvard, and generally made the most of his ample connections and talent. He ran a bank (admittedly two-bit) at 25, and was number-two man at a shipyard with more than 2,000 workers during World War I. At 30 he became a stockbroker and made a fortune through insider trading and stock manipulation. He was a master of the stock pool, a then-legal stunt in which a few traders conspired to inflate a stock's price, selling out just before the bubble burst....

In 1973 mob boss Frank Costello said he and Kennedy had been bootlegging partners. Other underworld figures have also claimed Joe was in pretty deep. At least one writer (Davis, 1984) thinks bootlegging enabled Joe to earn his initial financial stake....Just before Prohibition was repealed he lined up several lucrative liquor-importing deals.

Let's end all the wars and nation building....

I am sick of seeing the programs that make our nation the super power as much as our military being destroyed.
One of the bright spots of the USA being destroyed by the partisan bickering of its "leaders" is that it is also undermining the Military-Industrial Conspiracy.

I will raise a glass to toast the destruction of militarism in the USA !!

The last time I checked the tax payers paid for the roads, bridges and schools of a city.

Private corporations do a lot of the work...Certainly, but the government manages the monies to do so.

Geaux is living in his own fantasy world. Everywhere I've lived, govt put in the roads and sewers to where private industry wanted to develop something, and i'm talking shopping malls to natl gas fields.

However, we're only beginning to get back on top of the deficits. We're still clawing back for jobs. Obama's solution is to impose a one time tax on corps to let the govt build roads. That's nuts for two reason. One time govt taxation is like marketing crack saying "look Kid, it's not really cocaine, you won't get hooked." Secondly, it's another move like Scamulus to identify a bunch of public works projects by chosing the ones that can be started before others, without instead rating them on what will give the most return on investment.

Taxing corporations more just raises the prices they charge for their goods and services. We, the people, pay those taxes and the profits made from them. The people would actually pay less taxes if they were taxed directly.

The money that corporations make comes from the people who buy their goods. If taxes go up 5% the price of goods goes up 7.5%. Corporations make a profit from every expense they have - they do that to make a profit for their owners - the stockholders. Taxing businesses only hurt small businesses like the little store down the street that has to compete with national chains. Those chain stores buy products for less and make more money on them - even at that most stores only make a 3-5% profit.

Taxing corporations more just raises the prices they charge for their goods and services. We, the people, pay those taxes and the profits made from them. The people would actually pay less taxes if they were taxed directly.

The money that corporations make comes from the people who buy their goods. If taxes go up 5% the price of goods goes up 7.5%. Corporations make a profit from every expense they have - they do that to make a profit for their owners - the stockholders. Taxing businesses only hurt small businesses like the little store down the street that has to compete with national chains. Those chain stores buy products for less and make more money on them - even at that most stores only make a 3-5% profit.

It doesn't matter the amount of tax corporations pay, they are still going to raise prices.

Perfect example is Apple. Apple paid 11% effective on domestic and foreign income in 2012, but still found it necessary to raise prices AND off shore $100 billion.

It doesn't matter the amount of tax corporations pay, they are still going to raise prices.

Perfect example is Apple. Apple paid 11% effective on domestic and foreign income in 2012, but still found it necessary to raise prices AND off shore $100 billion.

So why doesnt every company just raise prices 200%?

Forum List

Back