Time to Pull the Plug on EV’s

Where are you getting this hydrogen from?
I don't know, all it says in my link is -

Hydrogen is very different though. The only by-product of burning hydrogen gas is water – and there are also ways of making hydrogen gas that are very carbon efficient

The US already gets over 23% of it's electricity from Wind & Solar & it's growth is just getting started. Renewables are already the largest source of electricity in the US behind Nat Gas. Renewables generate many times more than all electric vehicles will ever use.
You still require fossil fuels. EV's still need plastic and rubber for the tyres, both need crude oil. Some 90% of the worlds sulphur comes from refining crude oil, which is required to vulcanise rubber into a useable product. O rings, seals around doors, tyres etc..

As for plastic, your computer and mobile phone are derived from crude oil, so if you want to ditch crude oil, throw your phone away and never buy a new one.

Unfortunately, clapping up wind farms everywhere and buying an EV doesn't ditch co2 or pollution. In fact, an EV reduces your carbon footprint by only 17% to 30%, and it reduces the size of your wallet/purse by a larger percentage.

An intelligent species would only have used fossil fuel technology long enough to graduate to clean energy. It is amazing the people have so little faith in the inventiveness of our race.

It appears they are making long term plans for it to happen. It remains to be seen if they can actually pull it off.
The infrastructure for boilers and people vehicles are there. The old adage, "If it ain't broke, why fix it". So if you can convert boilers and cars to use hydrogen with minimal fuss and cost, then surely that would be the answer. Then as boiler and cars change over time, better models running on hydrogen begins to replace them. All countries have petrol/diesel/fuel stations. Change 90% of the pumps to hydrogen, then you keep the infrastructure of small convenience shops attached to fuel pumps.

Here's one story of such a disaster. It turns out that EVs use resistance electric heaters, extremely inefficient and when temperatures were so cold that the battery is already at risk.

Don't get me wrong; I love electric vehicles. I'm pre-reserved (significant deposit) for an electric van I'll do a wheelchair conversion for my wife. For local trips in reasonable weather, it will be cool.

And in spite of some who seem to want to attack me personally for their own dislike of hydrogen, I'm also not the owner of the idea of hydrogen; I just mentioned it as an option.

I didn't expect political or religious fervor about the future of automobiles.
Interesting, thanks. Living in Florida I never thought of cold weather and the effect it would have on EVs,

The infrastructure for boilers and people vehicles are there. The old adage, "If it ain't broke, why fix it". So if you can convert boilers and cars to use hydrogen with minimal fuss and cost, then surely that would be the answer. Then as boiler and cars change over time, better models running on hydrogen begins to replace them. All countries have petrol/diesel/fuel stations. Change 90% of the pumps to hydrogen, then you keep the infrastructure of small convenience shops attached to fuel pumps.
Sounds so easy it makes me wonder why it isn't already here :rolleyes:

An intelligent species would only have used fossil fuel technology long enough to graduate to clean energy. It is amazing the people have so little faith in the inventiveness of our race.
It's been thwarted, intentionally, by those making billions of dollars every year. They have us all hostage and will not go quietly.

If the information you require is not in the link that wasn't provided on how to make hydrogen, you will have to research it.

If you get stuck, I'll Google British Gas' phone number so you can ring them. Just remember the UK is some 5+ hours behind the US. Just put a posh voice on so their receptionist will be able to understand you.

They squeeze it out of monkeys backsides that are fed on special diets, but Dave in the pub told me that and he wasn't sober at the time, so I would take that piece of science with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

Hydrogen is much harder to move and store.
It has much less energy than the same volume of natural gas.
You can't use the same gas tanks, what pressure are you willing to use in your car?

Yes, imagine sitting in the late summer heat on an Interstate without AC or a radio trying to outrun a hurricane.

Yes, imagine sitting in a blizzard on a northern highway in February without any heat!
Well at least if everybody had EVs you would have plenty of company.

Forum List

Back