To daesh or not to daesh, that is the question.........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
It seems that the members of ISIL take offense to an acronym for their movement which is "daesh". They hate it so bad that they have threatened to cut out the tounges of anyone who say it.

Me? I'm going to start using that term, just because it pisses off the terrorists. Kinda to the same amount that painting a picture of Mohammed does.

Daesh: The word ISIS doesn't want you to say

They prefer to be called ISIL or ISIS. Now, the term ISIS has always represented an Egyptian goddess who is said to represent life and the earth. Since the terrorists don't respect life, calling them ISIS is out in my book.

ISIL describes them fairly well, but it's kind of a generic term that they take a bit of pride in because it represents their caliphate.

Daesh? That's a name that just pisses them off, so hey................let's start pissing off the terrorists and call them Daesh from here on.

It seems that the members of ISIL take offense to an acronym for their movement which is "daesh". They hate it so bad that they have threatened to cut out the tounges of anyone who say it.

Me? I'm going to start using that term, just because it pisses off the terrorists. Kinda to the same amount that painting a picture of Mohammed does.

They prefer to be called ISIL or ISIS. Now, the term ISIS has always represented an Egyptian goddess who is said to represent life and the earth. Since the terrorists don't respect life, calling them ISIS is out in my book.

ISIL describes them fairly well, but it's kind of a generic term that they take a bit of pride in because it represents their caliphate.

Daesh? That's a name that just pisses them off, so hey................let's start pissing off the terrorists and call them Daesh from here on.
That's good enough for me.
It might also give these poor people some relief if everyone starts saying Daesh.

Denver bookstore named "Isis" becomes target of vandalism - CBS News

I prefer to call them Daesh, because it seems disrespectful of Egyptian history to call terrorists what is associated in their mythology as Mother Earth.

Besides...............if I can piss off terrorists with just a word, hey............it's simple enough for me to do my part there.

You know, I think Kerry has the right idea in calling them Daesh.

BTW, if EVERYONE starts calling them that, there is a possibility that their recruitment will go down, because it's such a derogatory name to them.

I don't get wanting to be called "ISIS" or "ISIL" -- those are acronyms that depend on English. What does English have to do with them?

But if they don't like Daesh, then Daesh it is. Daesh Daesh Daesh.

Somebody should work this up:

wdObtd3P.jpg

Q -- How do you get rid of Daesh?
A -- with Daesh detergent!

What do you call a Daesh asshole?
"Daeshbag"!

Thank you, I'm here all weak....

I prefer to call them Daesh, because it seems disrespectful of Egyptian history to call terrorists what is associated in their mythology as Mother Earth.

Besides...............if I can piss off terrorists with just a word, hey............it's simple enough for me to do my part there.

Excellent point. Isis (the goddess) is getting besmirched in all this.

I wonder if there is some kind of subliminal message that their followers are holding on to when they call themselves "ISIS"? Do they secretly hope for (or believe) that they are going to get divine help from the goddess?

Do their followers believe that somehow they are hooking into a divine force?

And..............fwiw..................Isis is what the Egyptian goddess is called in almost all languages, because it's origin is Egyptian, and that is the proper term.

I wonder if there is some kind of subliminal message that their followers are holding on to when they call themselves "ISIS"? Do they secretly hope for (or believe) that they are going to get divine help from the goddess?

And..............fwiw..................Isis is what the Egyptian goddess is called in almost all languages, because it's origin is Egyptian, and that is the proper term.

Sure, but in order to get the acronym -- you need English as a vehicle. Which as far as I can tell is not their mother tongue.
In other words whatever they call themselves in Arabic --- can't be "ISIS".

Sure, but in order to get the acronym -- you need English as a vehicle. Which as far as I can tell is not their mother tongue.

You're correct. ISIS stands for "Islamic State In Syria", and uses the English to get that particular acronym.

However.................remember..................in advertising, they tend to look for the strongest name that they can, because if is something that can be associated with something good that already exists (look at many car names for that, as well as many other products), because that will help with the branding and the sales.

Daesh is an acronym as well, and it means basically "something that tramples everything in its path", which isn't nearly as catchy as calling themselves ISIS.

ISIS already existed and was widely known to be the Egyptian goddess Mother Earth. Maybe the reason they worked so hard on the name was to get that association.

Either way, I'm still gonna call them Daesh.

You're correct. ISIS stands for "Islamic State In Syria", and uses the English to get that particular acronym.

However.................remember..................in advertising, they tend to look for the strongest name that they can, because if is something that can be associated with something good that already exists (look at many car names for that, as well as many other products), because that will help with the branding and the sales.

Sure, but BMW was named for the German market before it got here -- I doubt many people know it stands for Bayerischen Motor Werken. Or that Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades. Those weren't named for the English market.

I always thought "ISIS/ISIL" was the name the English-speaking media came up with for them, having no idea what they call themselves locally. Is that inaccurate? Do we think they came up with it themselves?

Daesh is an acronym as well, and it means basically "something that tramples everything in its path", which isn't nearly as catchy as calling themselves ISIS.

ISIS already existed and was widely known to be the Egyptian goddess Mother Earth. Maybe the reason they worked so hard on the name was to get that association.

Either way, I'm still gonna call them Daesh.

Agreed.
But I only came up with two bad puns.

Well --- so far....

Forum List

Back