Tolerance? Not for Christians...

That doesn't prove that she's discriminatory, or that she plans to participate in conversion therapy. It also doesn't prove that she's ANTI-GAY.

That doesn't prove that she's discriminatory, or that she plans to participate in conversion therapy. It also doesn't prove that she's ANTI-GAY.

If she considers homosexuality to be identity confusion than she considers it a disorder. The APS hasn't considered homosexuality a disorder for 35 years.

She has spoken to students about her interest in conversion therapy.

She is unwilling to abide by the nondiscriminatory policies of the ACA.

She is unabashedly anti-gay..

"If a therapist believes homosexuality is wrong, sinful, immoral, or a mental illness, he or she should NOT work with gay clients. Refer this client to someone who is able to provide the necessary components of a therapeutic relationship."
Counseling Gay and Lesbian Clients in AllPsych Journal

Last edited:
You haven't proven any of that.

The last two are complete fantasy and dishonest.

She is unwilling to take diversity training. The ACA requires her to not discriminate due to sexual orientation.

American counseling association standards of professional practice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard of Practice One (SP-1): Nondiscrimination. Counselors respect diversity and must not discriminate against clients because of age, color, culture, disability, ethnic group, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, or socioeconomic status.

Standard of Practice Eight (SP-8): Inability to Assist Clients. Counselors must avoid entering or immediately terminate a counseling relationship if it is determined that they are unable to be of professional assistance to a client. The counselor may assist in making an appropriate referral for the client.
http://www.cacounseling.org/standards.

If she considers gays to have an identity disorder she is discriminating against them. She considers them to be sick.

Last edited:
She wants to be a school counselor Allie.

"The American Psychological Association's (APA) governing Council of Representatives recently adopted a resolution stating that mental health professionals should avoid telling clients that they can change their sexual orientation through therapy or other treatments. The resolution also advises that parents, young people and their families avoid sexual orientation treatments that falsely portray homosexuality as a mental illness or developmental disorder.

If a family or individual is struggling with acceptance, the resolution advises seeking services "that provide accurate information on sexual orientation and sexuality, increase family and school support, and reduce rejection of sexual minority youth."

1) Sexual stigma is a major source of stress for LGBT people. This stress, also known as minority stress, is a factor in mental health disparities found in some sexual minorities (i.e. LGBT people). We have found evidence in our studies of LGBT youth in Chicago that support this idea. LGBT stigma and victimization were significant predictors of psychological distress and depression symptoms. Family and peer support reduced psychological distress, but did not eliminate the negative effects of victimization.

2) Same-sex sexual attractions, behavior, and orientations are normal and positive variants of human sexuality. They concluded this based on the fact that homosexuality is not a mental or developmental disorder.

3) "Gay, lesbian, and bisexual individuals form stable, committed relationships and families that are equivalent to heterosexual relationships and families in essential respects."
American Psychological Association says, ?Don?t tell patients they can change their sexual orientation.? | Psychology Today

Last edited:
"With the changing demographics occurring in the United States, psychology must make substantive revisions in its curriculum, training, research, and practice. Without these revisions, psychology will risk professional, ethical, and economic problems because psychology will no longer be a viable professional resource to the majority of the U.S. population. In particular, this article discusses the need for psychology to address issues of ethnicity/culture, gender, and sexual orientation."
Cultural malpractice. The growing obsolescence of ... [Am Psychol. 1997] - PubMed result

Attitudes Toward Homosexuality and Bisexuality

Guideline 1. Psychologists understand that homosexuality and bisexuality are not indicative of mental illness.

Guideline 2. Psychologists are encouraged to recognize how their attitudes and knowledge about lesbian, gay, and bisexual issues may be relevant to assessment and treatment and seek consultation or make appropriate referrals when indicated.

Guideline 3. Psychologists strive to understand the ways in which social stigmatization (i.e., prejudice, discrimination, and violence) poses risks to the mental health and well-being of lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients.

Guideline 4. Psychologists strive to understand how inaccurate or prejudicial views of homosexuality or bisexuality may affect the client’s presentation in treatment and the therapeutic process.

Relationships and Families

Guideline 5. Psychologists strive to be knowledgeable about and respect the importance of lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships.

Guideline 6. Psychologists strive to understand the particular circumstances and challenges facing lesbian, gay, and bisexual parents.

Guideline 7. Psychologists recognize that the families of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people may include people who are not legally or biologically related.

Guideline 8. Psychologists strive to understand how a person’s homosexual or bisexual orientation may have an impact on his or her family of origin and the relationship to that family of origin.
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/guidelines.aspx

Did PC ever address the fact that this student was not punished for her religion but for her views on gays (which are not mandated by her religion)?

Did PC ever address the fact that this student was not punished for her religion but for her views on gays (which are not mandated by her religion)?

No she didn't. She cut and paste from a right wing blog intent on inflaming gays and christians.

It is not anti-gay to believe that gays are gay by choice.

Many gays feel that way themselves, and resent the concept that they have no choice in the matter. Are they homophobes as well?

So please explain to me which of those policies she has violated, and who she has injured in doing so?

Oh, that's right. She hasn't injured anyone and hasn't voiced a desire to. Because you are punishing for what you assume are her THOUGHTS.

What complete and utter fascist lunacy. This is right up there with Jews want to kill your babies.

So please explain to me which of those policies she has violated, and who she has injured in doing so?

Oh, that's right. She hasn't injured anyone and hasn't voiced a desire to. Because you are punishing for what you assume are her THOUGHTS.

What complete and utter fascist lunacy. This is right up there with Jews want to kill your babies.

I've provided the ACA and the APA requirements. Ms Keeton is not willing to abide by the rules. She considers herself above them. She should have not enrolled in ASU's counseling program if she is unwilling to meet the schools requirements for a masters degree in counseling/

She is asked to participate in a remedial program of diversity training and she is unwilling to do so.

She has hired an activist law firm.

She wants to fight this, so be it.

Keeton is not being asked to change her faith, she is being asked to work on her intolerance.

Last edited:
Your analogy doesn't work.

Why? Simply stating that tells us nothing, unless that's all you have! :cool:

You're comparing her belief in homosexuality being morally wrong with 'witch doctor rituals', I would classify that as an analgy that's not even close.

No, I'm comparing her belief that sexuality is a choice to "witch doctor rituals". I never made a choice to be heterosexual. I've always loved boobies and believe I was born that way. No gay person I've ever met has ever said they made a choice to be gay, they just always felt that way no matter how much they were told something was wrong with it. To try to make someone to change under those conditions is irresponsible and would lead to a malpractice suit, if we were talking about a physician.

Erin Martz, manager of ethics and professional standards at the American Counseling Association, said "The ACA Code of Ethics serves to ensure that counselors and counselors-in-training conduct themselves in a way which is consistent with the ideals of the profession. As such, the core values of diversity, multiculturalism and inclusion are present throughout the code and are crucial to the ethical decision-making process."
Lawsuit claims school bias on Christian views - Washington Times

Why? Simply stating that tells us nothing, unless that's all you have! :cool:

You're comparing her belief in homosexuality being morally wrong with 'witch doctor rituals', I would classify that as an analgy that's not even close.

No, I'm comparing her belief that sexuality is a choice to "witch doctor rituals". I never made a choice to be heterosexual. I've always loved boobies and believe I was born that way. No gay person I've ever met has ever said they made a choice to be gay, they just always felt that way no matter how much they were told something was wrong with it. To try to make someone to change under those conditions is irresponsible and would lead to a malpractice suit, if we were talking about a physician.

It would be nice if just one person on here with this point of view would prove that she ever intended to make anyone change through her professional work. You are all on a witch hunt based on hearsay and without any facts. What's sad is that the people with this stance are doing exactly to her what they didn't want done to the gay community, discrimination. Guess you aren't so different after all, you're all no better than the anti-gay crowd, it's your way or the highway and you're willing to use official organizations and institutions to force your way on those that don't agree. How are you any different from the earlier generations who did the very same thing to keep gays quiet and in the closet? Sadly, you're not.

It would be nice if just one person on here with this point of view would prove that she ever intended to make anyone change through her professional work. You are all on a witch hunt based on hearsay and without any facts. What's sad is that the people with this stance are doing exactly to her what they didn't want done to the gay community, discrimination. Guess you aren't so different after all, you're all no better than the anti-gay crowd, it's your way or the highway and you're willing to use official organizations and institutions to force your way on those that don't agree. How are you any different from the earlier generations who did the very same thing to keep gays quiet and in the closet? Sadly, you're not.

The irony is this student wants to keep intolerant views while claiming to be the victim of intolerance.

Great posts on this topic, Immie, unfortunately there isn't anyone here that is capable of understanding logic and common sense and are willing to dismiss facts in order to validate their own inaccurate view points.

Great posts on this topic, Immie, unfortunately there isn't anyone here that is capable of understanding logic and common sense and are willing to dismiss facts in order to validate their own inaccurate view points.

Great posts by people you agree with. I thought we were having a discussion and all sides would be considered. I have knocked myself out posting ACA and APA guidelines and information about how to counsel gays and lesbians. Clearly, Ms Keeton is unwilling to meet the ethics of the counseling profession.

Last edited:

The irony is this student wants to keep intolerant views while claiming she is the victim of intolerance.

Even if you believe she is intolerant, you are no more tolerant of her than she is of you. Why is it okay for you to be intolerant but she is not. She is making judgements about your lifestyle and seeing it in a negative light just the same as you are making judgements of hers and seeing her in a negative light. Why are you right and she is wrong? The point is, Sky, that she is FREE to feel the way that she does as you are FREE to feel the way that you do. You cannot impose your feelings and thoughts and force another to feel and think the same way.

Answer a simple question Sky. Do you feel that she has the right to hold whatever beliefs about homosexuality that she wants?

Forum List

Back