Tom Petty's family issues a cease and desist order to Trump campaign

Having their music associated with the trump campaign can be seen as damaging to their image. They are right to take action.
They have no legal recourse. The music is available for public consumption. As long as fees are paid. Just like in any nightclub. I just did a gig yesterday where ASCAP fees were not covered and we were only allowed to play originals.

That's it! Trump is doomed without that song from a Leftist entertainer, it's over I tell you, over!

The Pretenders tried to stop Rush Limbaugh from using their music as his theme song. Couldn’t do it.
They should grateful for the publicity.

You're full of shit. Chrissy Hynde even said her parents were Limbaugh listeners, so she didn't mind. They made a mutual agreement for it's use as long as the show made a contribution to P.E.T.A., which they did.

The Pretenders tried to stop Rush Limbaugh from using their music as his theme song. Couldn’t do it.
They should grateful for the publicity.
EMI issued a cease and desist request that Limbaugh stop using the song, which he did. When Hynde found out during a radio interview, she said that her parents loved and listened to Limbaugh and she did not mind its use. A usage payment was agreed upon which she donated to PETA. She later wrote to the organization saying, "In light of Rush Limbaugh's vocal support of PETA's campaign against the Environmental Protection Agency's foolish plan to test some 3,000 chemicals on animals, I have decided to allow him to keep my song, 'My City Was Gone', as his signature tune...

You're full of shit. Chrissy Hynde even said her parents were Limbaugh listeners, so she didn't mind. They made a mutual agreement for it's use as long as the show made a contribution to P.E.T.A., which they did.
Bottom line is you can't prevent people from playing your music, at Birthday parties, political events, Weddings or anything else.

Last edited:
Petty's family has a right not to have him and his work associated with trump and his campaign. Let trump get his own stuff. Springsteen ran into the same problem when reagan tried to steal his "Born in the U.S.A.,"and he had to tell reagan off.
there is no legal way to stop Trump supporters from playing the music at any of his rallies lol.

You can break copywrite laws if you want, yes. There are reprocussions for doing so.
Hah? Are you saying that during a wedding or party a DJ has to get permission every he / she plays a song?! Seriously. Now if someone was profiting from the resale of said song or any copy right material, then yes.

But he has so many other choices - There's Pat Boone, Charlie Daniels, Ted Nugent, Lee Greenwood ... And And AND ROSIE!!

How did all those "famous" artists going to bat for crooked Hillary the wife of a sexual assaulter, workout in 2016? We're about to see a far worse rerun in November.

QUOTE="Roudy, post: 24923642, member: 36154"]
Hah? Are you saying that during a wedding or party a DJ has to get permission every he / she plays a song?! Seriously. Now if someone was profiting from the resale of said song or any copy right material, then yes.
[/QUOTE]
This*^^^^^^^^^

Forum List

Back