Too little, way too late

But her last comment unwittingly explained the move. Businesses have a priority and obligation to run efficiently and that means reducing expenses and overhead. That is the best way to keep costs to the consumer down and to keep the business afloat. If Carrier doesn't move their labor to a Mexico another competitor will and people will end up buying their less expensive product and Carrier employees still lose jobs.
The solution is to reduce tax burdens and make moves to Mexico cost prohibitive.

freetrade.jpg

But her last comment unwittingly explained the move. Businesses have a priority and obligation to run efficiently and that means reducing expenses and overhead. That is the best way to keep costs to the consumer down and to keep the business afloat. If Carrier doesn't move their labor to a Mexico another competitor will and people will end up buying their less expensive product and Carrier employees still lose jobs.
The solution is to reduce tax burdens and make moves to Mexico cost prohibitive.
Roshawn, sometimes, lots of times, I find myself inarticulate when trying to explain something I feel deeply about, but I will try anyway and hope I can make myself clear. Why are Mexicans coming to America? It is because of jobs and in the case of drugs, it's where the money is. And yet soon we will be like them if things continue as they are. Remember when we used to say that you get what you pay for? And that was because we paid more so we could earn more..and we became the envy of the world. Then it became too much of a burden on businesses, so they said, to pay for the privilege of owning in America or to pay for Americans to work for them. So they left to cheap labor, cheap taxes and more profits, leaving Americans twisting in the wind. So it is my sincere hope that when Carrier moves to Mexico, their only customer is Mexicans, and that they not haul in one American dollar. For at least 20 years I have tried to buy American-made only, but I lost that battle long ago, because even when I determined to, say.. make Christmas gifts rather than buy foreign made, all the tools I needed to DIY were made in other lands. When Craftsman and Black& Decker left our shores, I caved. I still try, but can no longer remain USA only. Clinton signed NAFTA, Bush signed CAFTA, Obama tried to tackle the off-shore tax dodgers, but got shot down. And everyone with the power, namely Congress, to make this emigration of jobs to cheap production countries unprofitable stands around with their thumbs up their butts and pleads helplessness. Roshawn, America can't run on coolie wages. We can't have the mightiest military, the best healthcare, the classiest cars on the cheap. America can't be strong using cheap crap sold at top dollar. Time was when large corporations, like GE who pays little if any taxes and still gets rebates...time was when these entities (I'll NEVER think of large corporations as people) paid their fair share with gratitude to be part of this land of plenty, proud to share bounty. Maybe others here remember that too. Anyway, I mourn that so many Americans defend the hemorrhage of business in the name of profits. They have weakened us like no other enemy could have done.

An economically strong Mexico is in the best interests of the United States.

Mexico's poverty is causing a flood of illegal aliens to move the United States. These migrants would prefer staying at home, but there not enough jobs for them, so they come here.

An economically strong Mexico is in the best interests of the United States.

Mexico's poverty is causing a flood of illegal aliens to move the United States. These migrants would prefer staying at home, but there not enough jobs for them, so they come here.
I believe that was the idea behind NAFTA, blackrook, and I supported it at the time. But we abused the intention, I think, when the cheap labor part became apparent and businesses left in droves to any spot where cheap prevailed. BTW, there was an old PBS documentary about our businesses that set up shop in the Mariannas Islands (I think) that exploited cheap laborers to the point of inhumanity. The docu showed Tom Delay touring a facility there. Since it was an American territory, they could safely label the articles made there as "Made in America". Did you happen to see it?

The demand for low-skill no education jobs is dwindling as we move to a post-industrial economy. This is beyond the government's control. If the government attempts to stop progress, the damage to the American economy would be enormous.

The demand for low-skill no education jobs is dwindling as we move to a post-industrial economy. This is beyond the government's control. If the government attempts to stop progress, the damage to the American economy would be enormous.
Blackrook, the excuse of low-skill no education jobs is just that, an excuse. While we have disastrously lowered our expectations in the area of education, coupled with de-fanging any semblance of discipline in schools, I am convinced that if others can excel, American can do so also. We aren't stupid, just lazy and self indulgent. We CAN overcome this lack, and ought to. The bully pulpit has given some lip service to math and science upgrades, but it will take a national emphasis. A good start would be to get off the teaching of religion in schools that should be done in the home, and get back to education instead of child rearing.

Blackrook, the excuse of low-skill no education jobs is just that, an excuse. While we have disastrously lowered our expectations in the area of education, coupled with de-fanging any semblance of discipline in schools, I am convinced that if others can excel, American can do so also. We aren't stupid, just lazy and self indulgent. We CAN overcome this lack, and ought to. The bully pulpit has given some lip service to math and science upgrades, but it will take a national emphasis. A good start would be to get off the teaching of religion in schools that should be done in the home, and get back to education instead of child rearing.
Well, it sounds like you don't know that religion hasn't been taught in public schools since 1948.

McCollum v. Board of Education Dist. 71, 333 U.S. 203 (1948)

Court finds religious instruction in public schools a violation of the establishment clause and therefore unconstitutional.

U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on Separation of Church and State

Well, it sounds like you don't know that religion hasn't been taught in public schools since 1948.

Court finds religious instruction in public schools a violation of the establishment clause and therefore unconstitutional.

To the chagrin of Fundies everywhere who think we are all going to hell because the 10 Commandments are no longer posted in schools. But we digress. What I meant is that schools have strayed from their mission to teach 'learnin' by getting sidetracked into curricular controversies like the fantasy that teaching Darwin's theory is teaching anti-Big Bang. Another thing holding back Americans is the cost of higher education making it impossible to compete with nations that invest more into the education of their young. Parents holding two jobs each to break even cannot allow their kids to even hope for college. It is simply out of the question. Other countries are beating the crap out of us in this area.

To the chagrin of Fundies everywhere who think we are all going to hell because the 10 Commandments are no longer posted in schools. But we digress. What I meant is that schools have strayed from their mission to teach 'learnin' by getting sidetracked into curricular controversies like the fantasy that teaching Darwin's theory is teaching anti-Big Bang. Another thing holding back Americans is the cost of higher education making it impossible to compete with nations that invest more into the education of their young. Parents holding two jobs each to break even cannot allow their kids to even hope for college. It is simply out of the question. Other countries are beating the crap out of us in this area.
Funny you mention Darwin because it's economic darwinism that cost those Carrier jobs.
The economy is global, like it or not. It has to be addressed thusly or businesses can't survive.
Darwinism.
You can really look to Japanese cars warranting a sixth odometer digit for the original global expansion of the market.
You can't just wish for American jobs just because it makes you feel happier about yourself. That's Obama foreign policy idealistic dream world bullshit. You have to be pragmatic and realistic.
No business is going to survive that intentionally increases overhead without realizing a projected dividend.

Forum List

Back