Top Priorities

What Issues Should the President Focus On While Others Can Wait?

• Economy and jobs

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • Healthcare Reform

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cap & Trade

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Free Trade Agreements/Relations with other countries

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Energy Security

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Education Reform

• Student Loan Reform

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Hurrican Preparedness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Environmental Protection

• Other (I'll explain in my posts)

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
The President is ending the war in Iraq. He's set the Israeli Palestinian peace talks as a priority. He's been responsive to the oil spill, he addressed health care reform, he's on the economy. He's addressed DADT.

I'd say he's working hard with very little bipartisan support. He's completely on target with his campaign promises.

•Passing the "largest" economic stimulus bill in American history.

That most Americans opposed and most now believe has extended and deepened the recession.

•Ordering the closing of Guantanamo Bay military detention facility and abolishing "enhanced interrogation techniques."

Guantanamo is still open with no time table for closing. Enhanced interrogation techniques had already ended before he took office.

and thereby telegraphed to our and Iraq's enemies the schedule to do their planning around. And he also essentially lied when he said the combat troops have now been removed.

And contributed to many additional American and Afghanistan deaths by taking most of a year to make the decision. He's not really getting much of a reputation for being decisive is he.

Which has already been overturned by the Supreme Court this week. He violated the law of the land with an executive order on that.

Oh sure. I still have a nice assortment of bridges to sell to anybody who believes a cigarette tax is funding any large entitlement.

Don't look, but all of us have had the right to sue our employers for a very long time now.

Not a done deal yet.

Hmmm. I don't remember that being a priority of this administration. Politically expedient sure. But a priority? No.

That also was not a priority of this administration. A good thing if it's for real--that has yet to be determined among this era of pork barrel spending being disguised as 'stimulus', but this Administration has a long way to go to equal the increases in Veteran's benefits initiated by the previous administration.

And thereby further devasted the Gulf Coast economy. This is maybe one of the more really stupid things done by this administration.

I guess decades of environmental impact studies for this region were not sufficient. I probably can come up with even a few extra of those bridges for any who believe that the environment was a motive for this.

•Passed health care reform.

Maybe the most unpopular piece of legislation ever to be passed by any administration and one that a substantial majority of Americans want repealed as soon as possible and a substantial majority of the rest of Americans want significantly reformed as soon as possible to remove the most economy killing, freedom destroying, and other onerous components of the bill.

•signed a hate crime bill .

Oh yeah like we needed another hate crime bill or that calling a crime a 'hate crime' somehow makes it worse than any other crime that causes the same injury or damage to another human being. I suppose some people endorse this sort of thing. Others think hate is hate no matter who it is directed at and ALL crime that injures a fellow human is hateful.

BOTTOM LINE: Anybody can see from the poll on this thread and almost all other polls being conducted these days, that the American people want our government to let everything that can wait wait and to focus on those things that will get us back on track, put people back to work in permanent jobs, and start paying down the debt.

Actually, gays and lesbians needed the Mathew Shepard Act. It matters to me but it may be no big deal to you. Hate crimes not only target an individual but they send a terrorist message that 'your kind' are not wanted here to the rest of the minority community.

No legislation is going to change bigotry and prejudice, Sky. Only changing people's hearts will do that. I doubt a single unkind, cruel, or hateful act will be averted just because it is officially labeled a 'hate crime'.

I bet if GLAD or other such advocacy groups had used their collective voices to call on President Obama to ditch all the side issues that could wait and to focus on what government can do to create a more secure business friendly environment so that people can get back to work, there would be a whole bunch of people very grateful to the gay and lesbian community.

No legislation is going to change bigotry and prejudice, Sky. Only changing people's hearts will do that. I doubt a single unkind, cruel, or hateful act will be averted just because it is officially labeled a 'hate crime'.

I bet if GLAD or other such advocacy groups had used their collective voices to call on President Obama to ditch all the side issues that could wait and to focus on what government can do to create a more secure business friendly environment so that people can get back to work, there would be a whole bunch of people very grateful to the gay and lesbian community.

I disagree with you. You're too late. We have hate crime law. It now covers gays, lesbians and transgendered people as well as every other race, religion, ethnicity and disability. I celebrate that. Perhaps you don't know what it's like to be targeted for hate crimes. I do.

You can't expect GLAD to tow the GOP party line, but you cn expect Log Cabin Republicans to do your bidding on supporting big business.

We have our own issues as well as the same economic concerns every American has.

I don't fault the President for the state of the economy.

The President is ending the war in Iraq. He's set the Israeli Palestinian peace talks as a priority. He's been responsive to the oil spill, he addressed health care reform, he's on the economy. He's addressed DADT.

I'd say he's working hard with very little bipartisan support. He's completely on target with his campaign promises.

•Passing the "largest" economic stimulus bill in American history.

That most Americans opposed and most now believe has extended and deepened the recession.

Guantanamo is still open with no time table for closing. Enhanced interrogation techniques had already ended before he took office.

and thereby telegraphed to our and Iraq's enemies the schedule to do their planning around. And he also essentially lied when he said the combat troops have now been removed.

And contributed to many additional American and Afghanistan deaths by taking most of a year to make the decision. He's not really getting much of a reputation for being decisive is he.

Which has already been overturned by the Supreme Court this week. He violated the law of the land with an executive order on that.

Oh sure. I still have a nice assortment of bridges to sell to anybody who believes a cigarette tax is funding any large entitlement.

Don't look, but all of us have had the right to sue our employers for a very long time now.

Not a done deal yet.

Hmmm. I don't remember that being a priority of this administration. Politically expedient sure. But a priority? No.

That also was not a priority of this administration. A good thing if it's for real--that has yet to be determined among this era of pork barrel spending being disguised as 'stimulus', but this Administration has a long way to go to equal the increases in Veteran's benefits initiated by the previous administration.

And thereby further devasted the Gulf Coast economy. This is maybe one of the more really stupid things done by this administration.

I guess decades of environmental impact studies for this region were not sufficient. I probably can come up with even a few extra of those bridges for any who believe that the environment was a motive for this.

Maybe the most unpopular piece of legislation ever to be passed by any administration and one that a substantial majority of Americans want repealed as soon as possible and a substantial majority of the rest of Americans want significantly reformed as soon as possible to remove the most economy killing, freedom destroying, and other onerous components of the bill.

•signed a hate crime bill .

Oh yeah like we needed another hate crime bill or that calling a crime a 'hate crime' somehow makes it worse than any other crime that causes the same injury or damage to another human being. I suppose some people endorse this sort of thing. Others think hate is hate no matter who it is directed at and ALL crime that injures a fellow human is hateful.

BOTTOM LINE: Anybody can see from the poll on this thread and almost all other polls being conducted these days, that the American people want our government to let everything that can wait wait and to focus on those things that will get us back on track, put people back to work in permanent jobs, and start paying down the debt.

Actually, gays and lesbians needed the Mathew Shepard Act. It matters to me but it may be no big deal to you. Hate crimes not only target an individual but they send a terrorist message that 'your kind' are not wanted here to the rest of the minority community.

You made the choice to live that lifestyle, so deal with it.

Not a done deal yet.

It wasn't really a choice. It's the hand I was dealth. Homosexuality runs in my family. I'm dealing with it quite well. I love myself enough to fight for equal rights. You hate us gays and lesbians and I'm sorry for you for that.

Last edited:
I disagree with you. You're too late. We have hate crime law. It now covers gays, lesbians and transgendered people as well as every other race, religion, ethnicity and disability. I celebrate that. Perhaps you don't know what it's like to be targeted for hate crimes. I do.

You can't expect GLAD to tow the GOP party line, but you cn expect Log Cabin Republicans to do your bidding on supporting big business.

We have our own issues as well as the same economic concerns every American has.

Is that honestly what you got out of my post? Geez. Well moving on. There will be no civil discourse with Sky today obviously.

Is that honestly what you got out of my post? Geez. Well moving on. There will be no civil discourse with Sky today obviously.

What did I miss?

How is this post uncivil?

It wasn't really a choice. It's the hand I was dealth. Homosexuality runs in my family. I'm dealing with it quite well. I love myself enough to fight for equal rights. You hate us gays and lesbians and I'm sorry for you for that.

It's choice, denying it won't make it any less of a choice. If it ran in your family then procreation would be almost impossible.

What rights do I have that you don't?

I don't hate anyone, never have and never will.

You should have your equal rights. This whole gay marriage issue is the stupidest thing going. I mean WTF? What a waste of time. People are people. Some are outgoing, some are shy, some like adventure, some like to relax. some like the same sex, some like the opposite. Some like both. Who cares?

It's choice, denying it won't make it any less of a choice. If it ran in your family then procreation would be almost impossible.

My father was gay. It was never a choice for him. He tried to be heterosexual and did not succeed. He was miserable being married to my mother. It's ok if you want to think of it as a choice. That make it alot easier to deny us rights.

Your comments about homsexuals are hateful. I think you hate the idea of me existing in the world, but you don't know me so I don't think you hate me personally.

Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied:

1.Joint parental rights of children
2.Joint adoption
3.Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions
4.Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
5.Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
6.Crime victims recovery benefits
7.Domestic violence protection orders
8.Judicial protections and immunity
9.Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
10.Public safety officers death benefits
11.Spousal veterans benefits
12.Social Security
13.Medicare
14.Joint filing of tax returns
15.Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
16.Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
17.Child support
18.Joint Insurance Plans
19.Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
20.Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
21.Estate and gift tax benefits
22.Welfare and public assistance
23.Joint housing for elderly
24.Credit protection
25.Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans
These are just a few of the 1400 state and federal benefits that gays and lesbians are denied by not being able to marry. Most of these benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for within the legal system.

You should have your equal rights. This whole gay marriage issue is the stupidest thing going. I mean WTF? What a waste of time. People are people. Some are outgoing, some are shy, some like adventure, some like to relax. some like the same sex, some like the opposite. Some like both. Who cares?

I think single people should have equal rights too. Why do single people have to pay more taxes than married people? Thats inequitable.

No more marriage benefit for ANY married couples as it leaves single people without equal rights....hmmm this could be a fun thread topic.

I think single people should have equal rights too. Why do single people have to pay more taxes than married people? Thats inequitable.

No more marriage benefit for ANY married couples as it leaves single people without equal rights....hmmm this could be a fun thread topic.
Well there are some people that would rather eliminate all marriage benefits even to straight people then see gays and lesbians get them.

My father was gay. It was never a choice for him. He tried to be heterosexual and did not succeed. He was miserable being married to my mother. It's ok if you want to think of it as a choice. That make it alot easier to deny us rights.

Your comments about homsexuals are hateful. I think you hate the idea of me existing in the world, but you don't know me so I don't think you hate me personally.

Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied:

2.Joint adoption
12.Social Security
13.Medicare
17.Child support
18.Joint Insurance Plans
24.Credit protection
These are just a few of the 1400 state and federal benefits that gays and lesbians are denied by not being able to marry. Most of these benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for within the legal system.

It is a choice and the list you posted is as bogus as the story about your father.

Shall I list all the ones that are not "constitutional rights"? Like credit protection, welfare, immigration, medicare, sick leave, housing. pension and just about all the rest of your list.

2.Joint adoption
12.Social Security
13.Medicare
17.Child support
18.Joint Insurance Plans
24.Credit protection

It is a choice and the list you posted is as bogus as the story about your father.

Shall I list all the ones that are not "constitutional rights"? Like credit protection, welfare, immigration, medicare, sick leave, housing. pension and just about all the rest of your list.

My story about my father is true. What is it you think it bogus about it? It's my life.

Whether you like it or not, I will fight to my last breath to provide for my loved ones the same as you. I waited 25 years to be able to marry and I may have to wait the rest of my life for my license to be worth the same as other married couples.

Last edited:

2.Joint adoption
12.Social Security
13.Medicare
17.Child support
18.Joint Insurance Plans
24.Credit protection

My story about my father is true. What is it you think it bogus about it? It's my life.

Whether you like it or not, I will fight to my last breath to provide for my loved ones the same as you. I waited 25 years to be able to marry and I may have to wait the rest of my life for my license to be worth the same as other married couples.

So goes the life you chose.

It may very well be your life, but that doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Well there are some people that would rather eliminate all marriage benefits even to straight people then see gays and lesbians get them.

I would rather eliminate all marriage benefits to all married people so that we have equity in our tax code. For me it has nothing to do with trying to keep it away from gay people

here is a thread :D http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/130029-marriage-and-equal-rights-for-all-people.html

I would rather eliminate all marriage benefits to all married people so that we have equity in our tax code. For me it has nothing to do with trying to keep it away from gay people

here is a thread :D http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/130029-marriage-and-equal-rights-for-all-people.html

There is more at stake here though than just the tax code. For me it is all about what is best for the children. It is an unrefutable fact that children are far less likely to grow up in poverty in a two parent home. And I am convinced that all children, whether straight or gay, benefit greatly from having a loving mom AND dad in the home. So, so for the sake of the kids, if the tax policy promotes traditional marriage and staying married for the sake of the kids, I don't have a problem with that so long as the code is absolutely 100% equitable for everybody. And it is. I can't in good conscience support anything that would weaken or make traditional marriage less attractive as the ideal situation for raising kids.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying that single parents or gay parents cannot be excellent parents. i know many who are. I am just saying that kids miss out when they don't have the example and security of male and female role models in the home.)

I also would and have strongly supported those, straight or gay, who for whatever reason do not want to or cannot do the traditional marriage thing being able to form themselves into legally recognized family groups that offer necessary protections, insurance benefits, visitation, inheritance rights, etc.

And I think right now that everybody, straight, gay, or anything in between should be encouraging the government to forget everything that doesn't have to happen right this minute and get us back on track economically, get people back to work, balance the budget, and start racheting down the debt, and THEN we will have the leisure and wherewithall to address other issues.

There is more at stake here though than just the tax code. For me it is all about what is best for the children. It is an unrefutable fact that children are far less likely to grow up in poverty in a two parent home. And I am convinced that all children, whether straight or gay, benefit greatly from having a loving mom AND dad in the home. So, so for the sake of the kids, if the tax policy promotes traditional marriage and staying married for the sake of the kids, I don't have a problem with that so long as the code is absolutely 100% equitable for everybody. And it is. I can't in good conscience support anything that would weaken or make traditional marriage less attractive as the ideal situation for raising kids.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying that single parents or gay parents cannot be excellent parents. i know many who are. I am just saying that kids miss out when they don't have the example and security of male and female role models in the home.)

I also would and have strongly supported those, straight or gay, who for whatever reason do not want to or cannot do the traditional marriage thing being able to form themselves into legally recognized family groups that offer necessary protections, insurance benefits, visitation, inheritance rights, etc.

And I think right now that everybody, straight, gay, or anything in between should be encouraging the government to forget everything that doesn't have to happen right this minute and get us back on track economically, get people back to work, balance the budget, and start racheting down the debt, and THEN we will have the leisure and wherewithall to address other issues.

I think your concerns are solved by not eliminating the child tax credit, which I didn't propose nor would I support ;).

:) Does make one wonder when they don't come up with organizations anybody has ever heard of. The link still doesn't work for me, but based on your comments, can I assume that this was close to what I mentioned earlier? A bunch of religious leaders with stuff on their mind who got together to be heard? Not religious folk put on the payroll or put into unpaid positions of authority in the government?

i think this is in the grey area right in between these options. this conference did cost the taxpayer some cash. in the process some government folks probably learned something that they didnt know before. you've got to remember congressmen and senators come out of the real world and then have to sit on a committee to discuss arab-israeli peace objectives. maybe you've got to video conference with king abdullah for that (also on the agenda at the conference :)) this is also a lobbying opportunity for faith-based orgs to sink their teeth in... in the name of a more morally conscious america:confused:. if there isn't a conference like this going on this week, for agribusiness to zoological studies, you're not on capitol hill.

i think millions are spent on stuff like this every year, but thats government, well the US government.

I think your concerns are solved by not eliminating the child tax credit, which I didn't propose nor would I support ;).

The child tax credit does not help many children living in poverty to escape poverty. The child tax credit does not give children the emotional support and role models that only a grown up loving mom and dad can provide. The child tax credit doesn't help provide traditional stable neighborhoods with churches and community centers and parks and less crime and blight all of which are much more common in areas where the traditional family is the norm. In a government committed to promoting the general welfare, such are worthy goals. It doesn't PROVIDE it. It promotes it.

Forum List

Back