Tortillas

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I bought a tortilla press and attempted to use it. Failed. I used sandwich bags to cover the plates. Any tips?

Elaborate.
Were they hard? Constant moisture is the "secret". After cooking lay them on a warm plate with wet paper towels on them.
I have made tortillas... but gave that up years ago. Takes too long and the difference is not worth it when you buy decent ones from the store.

I should have explained the issue better. The tortillas stuck to the plastic and I couldn't get them off.

My first wife was Mexican so I have had homemade tortillas many-many times. My Ex never got it right, and not from a lack of trying.
It really is a work of art. Mexican girls use to grow up learning how to make tortillas/enchiladas/tamales. They can make them in their sleep.

You might try and "dust" your press plates with flour before pressing each tortilla.

Another version is to press the dough between parchment paper or wax paper pieces.

I worked a tortilla press machine at a fast food place I worked, a long time ago.
For the particular press they had though, you had to wipe the press plates down with a dry cloth between each tortilla.

Well, I am going to give it another shot and then move on to flour tortillas. I was hoping to have it down by Christmas Eve. I can just buy them if it fails.
I am doing tamales this year too. We'll see how that goes. I have too many corn husks to fail.

True enough about the cost to buy them, but there are few things better than a tortilla made and eaten fresh...
No doubt. Gooood... most people in America have never had, or will ever have actual Mexican food.
Something as simple as meat/cheese tamales, when made right... heaven. Tamales at a "Mexican" restaurant... bleh.
Pork Shoulder carnitas... OMG... pork carnitas at a restaurant salt bomb.
Main gripe about American cuisine... take something amazing... add a lb. of salt and sugar using shitty quality product... and think it is good.

Forum List

Back