Totalitarian White House: Armed agents seize records of reporter; Washington Times

Anyone stupid enough to live in a state where you have to register your firearms deserve everything they fucking get. They elected commies, be prepared to live under their thumbs.

Oops!

The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed it seized and reviewed Ms. Hudson’s documents but insisted it did nothing wrong.

Capt. Tony Hahn, a spokesman at Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, said the Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS) was involved in the case because Mrs. Hudson’s husband, Mr. Flanagan, is a Coast Guard employee.

During the search of the home, said Capt. Hahn, “the CGIS agent discovered government documents labeled ‘FOUO’ — For Official Use Only and ‘LES’ — Law Enforcement Sensitive.”

Read more: Armed agents seize records of reporter, Washington Times prepares legal action - Washington Times

Oops!

The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed it seized and reviewed Ms. Hudson’s documents but insisted it did nothing wrong.

Capt. Tony Hahn, a spokesman at Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, said the Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS) was involved in the case because Mrs. Hudson’s husband, Mr. Flanagan, is a Coast Guard employee.

During the search of the home, said Capt. Hahn, “the CGIS agent discovered government documents labeled ‘FOUO’ — For Official Use Only and ‘LES’ — Law Enforcement Sensitive.”

Read more: Armed agents seize records of reporter, Washington Times prepares legal action - Washington Times

And?

Those items were not covered by the warrant, it was a clear 4th amendment violation and the perps should be prosecuted for civil rights violations.

:lol:

You think this came from the White House?

If the IRS can suddenly audit Ben Carson for verbally excoriating the president, and if the White House can harangue Bob Beckel over the phone for disagreeing with Obamacare, you can bet your ass the White House might be capable of something like this.

Last edited:

If the IRS can suddenly audit Ben Carson for verbally excoriating the president, and if the White House can harangue Bob Beckel over the phone for disagreeing with Obamacare, you can bet your ass the White House might be capable of something like this.

I'm not asking if they're "capable" of it.

I'm asking if you really think that this particular raid was ordered from the White House.

Obama doesn't have the constitutional power to do something like this.

He isn't king ;)

I'm asking if you really think that this particular raid was ordered from the White House.

No. Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Obama doesn't have the constitutional power to do something like this.

He isn't king ;)

He's the Executive. He can order federal law ENFORCEMENT agents anywhere, at any time, for any reason. If those orders are unlawful, it is the agent's obligation to refuse.

It's also the atmosphere. They know the Obama White House will let them get away with it. Do you think a Ron Paul White House would tolerate that?

It's also the atmosphere. They know the Obama White House will let them get away with it. Do you think a Ron Paul White House would tolerate that?

Well, no. But then again, if I were Ron Paul, I'd strip this nation down to its foundation and rebuild it as the Constitution intended.

When the Patriot Act and Department of Homeland Security were being formed under Bush, nobody on the far right questioned it - despite the obvious question: why would you leave such concentrated, unchecked power in place for all future administrations? The mere existence of these large levers of power increases the chances for abuse. (This is why Libertarians don't like the existence of concentrated power, because humans lack the competence, ethics and information to wield it)

Two right leaning sources questioned the Bush Surveillance State - the CATO Institute and Ron Paul.

Study history. Once these government agencies are in place, they become entrenched bureaucracies that last forever...

Here is what worries a libertarian most. Take the case of Eliot Spitzer, the most vocal critic of Bush's role in the Wall Street Meltdown. Shortly after Spitzer wrote a scathing critique of the Bush Administration, the Bush Feds used the Patriot Act to track his finances. They erected a surveillance web over his life and waited. Like the Soviets, they used a national security provision to hunt their domestic political enemies. Study history. National security has been used to grow Federal power more than anything else by an unimaginable factor. (This is why the Right, in my lifetime, has grown Washington's power more than the Dems. Study Reagan and the Cold War. He wanted Washington to be big enough not only to control the 50 states but the entire globe. He believed in the projection of American power and influence across the planet. He put military bases all over the globe and intervened in the political destinies of countries on several continents. That is, he built the biggest, most expensive, most powerful Washington of all)

And now these organizations have grown beyond control. (I remember talked about repealing the Patriot Act in 2009. The very next day Dick Chaney went on FOX News and accused him of being weak on terror.)

Voters on the right have no credibility when it comes to the Patriot Act and the Department of Homeland Security. When their party created these things we didn't hear a peep. Put simply, the Bush administration left things in place that made it much easier for Washington to destroy the privacy and freedom of free American citizens.

It took one rogue presidency to destroy American freedom. And now the rightwing is finally waking up? Where were you people ten years ago when we needed you? Stop cheerleading for the Republican Party and help us keep both party's accountable.

Last edited:
When the Patriot Act and Department of Homeland Security were being formed under Bush, nobody on the far right questioned it - despite the obvious question: why would you leave such concentrated, unchecked power in place for all future administrations? The mere existence of these large levers of power increases the chances for abuse. (This is why Libertarians don't like the existence of concentrated power, because humans lack the competence, ethics and information to wield it)

Two right leaning sources questioned the Bush Surveillance State - the CATO Institute and Ron Paul.

Study history. Once these government agencies are in place, they become entrenched bureaucracies that last forever...

Here is what worries a libertarian most. Take the case of Eliot Spitzer, the most vocal critic of Bush's role in the Wall Street Meltdown. Shortly after Spitzer wrote a scathing critique of the Bush Administration, the Bush Feds used the Patriot Act to track his finances. They erected a surveillance web over his life and waited. Like the Soviets, they used a national security provision to hunt domestic political enemies.

And now these organizations have grown beyond control. (I remember talked about repealing the Patriot Act in 2009. The very next day Dick Chaney went on FOX News and accused him of being weak on terror.)

Voters on the right have no credibility when it comes to the Patriot Act and the Department of Homeland Security. When their party created these things we didn't hear a peep. Put simply, the Bush administration left things in place that made it much easier for Washington to spy on people. It took one rogue presidency to destroy American freedom. And now the rightwing is finally waking up? Where were you people ten years ago when we needed you? Stop cheerleading for the Republican Party and help us keep both party's accountable.

You had me going until the very last paragraph of your post. Neither side spoke up when their respective versions of the law were passed. Congress passed and Obama signed the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011, a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act, which included roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves"---individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups. I didn't hear many objections from the left either. The old mantra "It's only okay if my party does it" comes to mind.

Anyways, Democrats helped pass the Patriot Act overwhelmingly in fact (48 of 49), all but one, Russ Feingold, voted for it in the Senate. In the House, 145 of 207 Democrats voted in favor of it.

The bill, H.R. 3162 or the "USA Patriot Act" as voted on by both houses of the 107th Congress:

Senate:

Passed 98-1, on October 25, 2001

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

House:

Passed 357-66, on October 24, 2001

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2001/h398

Last edited:

Oops!

The Coast Guard is lying, and I can prove it.

Want me to, or are you going to defend them regardless?

Forum List

Back