Toughest job you ever did?

In my early 20's I was a "rod buster" for about a year on a huge construction site. That was the construction trade name for the men in blue safety helmets who hand carried and then placed long 20' sticks of rebar for floors and foundation, then wire tied them together before the cement was poured.
Some of those 20' sticks of rebar were so heavy it took 2 or 3 men to carry and lay them in place.
There was several acres of flooring, so it took thousands of sticks of rebar, which had to be hand tied together with steel wire using #9 Klein pliers.
Sometimes, I would wake up in the middle of the night because my right arm had gone numb from squeezing the pliers all day pulling and tightening the wire.
The job paid great and keep me in terrific shape. But also convinced me that I needed to get my act together and pursue a professional career. Which I did. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Concrete work. Helped out a friend for a few months of summer and fall. I had jusr returned from hiking the Appalachian Trail and figured I was in excellent shape. Well, my friend had piled up contracts for a slew of back yard patios. All the concrete had to be wheel barreled from the street to the back of the house. When the ground was wet we had to use 2x12 planks. And of course, we had to move fast. Balancing a wheel barrel on 2x12 planks is a mother fucker. Wet concrete as very heavy.

In my early 20's I was a "rod buster" for about a year on a huge construction site. That was the construction trade name for the men in blue safety helmets who hand carried and then placed long 20' sticks of rebar on floors and foundation, and then wire tied the rebar together before the cement was poured.
Some of those 20' sticks of rebar were so heavy it took 2 or 3 men to carry and lay them in place.
There was many acres of flooring, so it took thousands of rods of rebar, which had to be hand tied together with steel wire using #9 Klein pliers, everywhere the sticks of rebar crossed each other.
Sometimes, I would wake up in the middle of the night because my right arm had gone numb from squeezing the pliers all day pulling and tightening the wire. ... :cool:
I tied steel at a pre-stressed plant for a while. Shit about killed me.

For you folks that have lived in a rural or a semi-rural environment the picture will be self explanatory... Worked in the wonderful world of Septic System Repair... Needed money for beer and drugs so thought this might be fun for a summer... I wasn't all that physical as there was a backhoe involved, but believe me when there needed to be some shovel work done guess who was at the bottom of the totem pole... :desk: Like I said the work wasn't that tough but the smell was something I never got over...
Then a few years later I went to work in the Airline Industry on the Ramp and found myself being the best damn Honeyman you could shake a stick at...

1592611547315.png

1592611908556.png

As Joe Walsh once said... Life's been Good...

Concrete work. Helped out a friend for a few months of summer and fall. I had jusr returned from hiking the Appalachian Trail and figured I was in excellent shape. Well, my friend had piled up contracts for a slew of back yard patios. All the concrete had to be wheel barreled from the street to the back of the house. When the ground was wet we had to use 2x12 planks. And of course, we had to move fast. Balancing a wheel barrel on 2x12 planks is a mother fucker. Wet concrete as very heavy.

Yep. I've helped a buddy (or at least I thought he was a friend) build a deck on the back of his house after helping him take down his old one. Shirtless in the heat. Dug the peg holes for concrete, long heavy wood. had to move and break down the old, unbalanced concreate beams. Long hours in the sun, all for a meal and a rental movie over a weekend. Hey, I'm solid like that. Then helped him build a fence. He sold that house for a hell of a lot of money. His mother wanted to give me cash but I wouldn't accept it until he forced a $20 in my pocket.

Did that kind of work for more than one friend. I'm not a skilled tradesman but I'm logical enough to work through it with the people I helped, give my input and correct any errors he is about to make, while not overselling an idea I'm not sure of. They buy the materials and I will help with labour and planning. I'd even grab a book from the library so we could bounce his ideas with published concepts.

So many I've helped over the years and never given a nickle. Few have been there when I needed them, but it's not always their fault, I rarely ask or tell people. That's just the way I've been my life.

Last edited:

Yep. I've helped a buddy (or at least I thought he was a friend) build a deck on the back of his house after helping him take down his old one. Shirtless in the heat. Dug the peg holes for concrete, long heavy wood. had to move and break down the old, unbalanced concreate beams. Long hours in the sun, all for a meal and a rental movie over a weekend. Hey, I'm solid like that. Then helped him build a fence. He sold that house for a hell of a lot of money. His mother wanted to give me cash but I wouldn't accept it until he forced a $20 in my pocket.

Did that king of work for more than one friend. I'm not a skilled tradesman but I'm logical enough to work through it with the people I helped, give my input and correct any errors he is about to make, while not overselling an idea I'm not sure of. They buy the materials and I will help with labour and planning. I'd even grab a book from the library so we could bounce his ideas with published concepts.

So many I've helped over the years and never given a nickle. Few have been there when I needed them, but it's not always their fault, I rarely ask or tell people. That's just the way I've been my life.
I build handicapped ramps at material cost, at least a dozen I did for free. Love to see them use it the first time.

I was thinking about this as I'm getting older, not as physically dominant as I once was, but still holding on pretty well. Sometimes memories help keep me young.

I've had a few tough jobs, but for me it was probably working at a moving company. Constant work, garbage pay, it was a summer job for me before I went back to school.

One day we are doing a government office. 7th Floor, we get up there as one of the elevators is broken, the second one goes "On Service" for some lazy employees who are themselves moving their entire floor. So what do we do? What all underpaid idiots do, we go down 7 flights of stairs with massive desks cubicle walls, heavy duty metal cabinets and drawers. Then we have to walk back up seven flights and work the next load. Did that for 8 hours with a half hour lunch. It was in the summer and I was sweating like a pig.

People were bitching and crying, I'm Canadian so I'm use to hearing it, but I just did my thing. Whining solves nothing and just gives yourself an excuse to slack off. I liked the challenge anyways, I was young enough.

I recall withholding my school work on my resume knowing they wouldn't hire me, then one day, just not showing up. Phone is ringing every day, first threatening me with the voice message ("you will lose your job"), then begging me to show up for work one day ("hey give us a call, we have some good hours if you want them"). lol. They were just begging for any fool to stay the full day let alone work hard for 3 months. There were some real hard working guys there just paying their bills, but also a few arrogant pricks who liked to look down on others who were just doing their job.

So, that's my story. Any one else care to share?
Us army infantry in the Korengal valley, running and gunning through the mountains. I was just about the oldest guy there and the only folks even close to my age, never left the KOP.

Read Landigal, by James Christ for more details.

A standard contractor's wheelbarrow full of concrete weighs ~1000 lbs.

I'm such a glutton for punishment that I made a career out of it.

Now thats a fucked job. I did it 1 day. No thanks.

You beat me like a borrowed mule... I only made it 5 hours... Didn't show back up from lunch... Donated my 5 hours labor also... :banghead:

I looked up that job since I've never heard of it. That's an insane heavy walking/balance squat lol. That is indeed, tough work.

Reminds me of a place I was working at just a few years ago. I rode a mountain bike there and back too, 45 min each way, because I had to. On our feet all day, tossing cases of beer and piling it. Walking back and forth on a conveyor belt. My legs were always buzzing. I had to do this work due to the filthy, lying POS slobs who have ruined my life. Even worked through a torn forearm and didn't say a word even after the contract ended. To me it's like being a POW, don't give them the satisfaction, but don't ever forget...

Coworkers thought I was insane to ride a bike there. I lost countless pounds over 6 months, my wife was begging me to quit as I was getting very skinny and I am naturally muscular. I'm too stubborn though so I kept my word. The last surviving member of the lot.

Regardless of my back story, one day a young guy comes in (probably the fifth replacement I've seen over the first 3 months), just over two hours in, working half speed, getting familiar with the system. We come back after break and some guy named Brian asks "where's that new guy I was training"? We all laugh, we know he's gone. So many others would disappear but never at first break.

Lazy, pampered, low performing, government trough chewing supervisor comes over and let's us know that the guy said he had an emergency and had to drive his mom to the hospital. Then proceeds to tell us the guys mom came and picked him up, he saw this when he was out having a smoke, so he knows he is full of it. Needless to say never saw that guy again, hah.

I can't tell you how many times I'd leave for the night and hear the newest guy complaining, "this is slave work" one guy said. He wasn't joking though... :boohoo:

Now thats a fucked job. I did it 1 day. No thanks.

You beat me like a borrowed mule... I only made it 5 hours... Didn't show back up from lunch... Donated my 5 hours labor also... :banghead:
Yep, it's the grunt of all grunt jobs.

Imagine going up a ladder or two with that on your back? I mean, all I can do is laugh at the insanity of it. You'd have monster quads after a week of that work.

Cleared right of way for the power co-ops for four years. Started out as a ground squirrel dragging, chipping, stacking, windrowing and clear cutting brush. The company had such a high turn over nobody bothered to learn my name for three months. Did that for about a year before an apprentice climber position opened up.

I was thinking about this as I'm getting older, not as physically dominant as I once was, but still holding on pretty well. Sometimes memories help keep me young.

I've had a few tough jobs, but for me it was probably working at a moving company. Constant work, garbage pay, it was a summer job for me before I went back to school.

One day we are doing a government office. 7th Floor, we get up there as one of the elevators is broken, the second one goes "On Service" for some lazy employees who are themselves moving their entire floor. So what do we do? What all underpaid idiots do, we go down 7 flights of stairs with massive desks cubicle walls, heavy duty metal cabinets and drawers. Then we have to walk back up seven flights and work the next load. Did that for 8 hours with a half hour lunch. It was in the summer and I was sweating like a pig.

People were bitching and crying, I'm Canadian so I'm use to hearing it, but I just did my thing. Whining solves nothing and just gives yourself an excuse to slack off. I liked the challenge anyways, I was young enough.

I recall withholding my school work on my resume knowing they wouldn't hire me, then one day, just not showing up. Phone is ringing every day, first threatening me with the voice message ("you will lose your job"), then begging me to show up for work one day ("hey give us a call, we have some good hours if you want them"). lol. They were just begging for any fool to stay the full day let alone work hard for 3 months. There were some real hard working guys there just paying their bills, but also a few arrogant pricks who liked to look down on others who were just doing their job.

So, that's my story. Any one else care to share?

I worked as a mover for 2 years. It was horrible. But it paid ok and I had a new baby.

Forum List

Back