🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

TPP. Last nail in coffin of Middle Class?

Searcher44

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2015
Vancouver, British Columbia
I haven't read the whole text of the TPP but I have yet to hear any positive comments on any of it's provisions. If possible I'm anxious to hear a list of those positive provisions. Any knowledgeable volunteers? In the meantime here is a summary of the low points presented by Bernie Sanders.

All laws passed by Congress and decisions of the President will be open to challenge by Multinationals. Do you like shrimp but aren't crazy about seafood raised in dirty ponds and fertilized by human feces? Vietnam, the largest exporter of farmed shrimp does this. And then they dump buckets of antibiotics into the ponds to combat the inevitable diseases grown in this toxic soup.
Right now the under funded U.S. inspection regime barely has a handle on these imports. Under the TPP any regulations or inspections can be challenged in shadowy international tribunals by Multinational exporters. The exporters may not even have to identify the country of origin on any labels.

Beware of TPP's Investor–State Dispute Settlement Provision - Roosevelt Institute

Under TPP, foreign investors could sue over pretty much any law, regulation, or government decision. The agreement guarantees a “minimum standard of treatment,” a vague standard that corporate-friendly arbitrators have interpreted liberally in past decisions, inventing obligations for governments that do not exist in the actual text of agreements or host countries’ laws.
In an earlier case using NAFTA’s similar provisions, arbitrators ordered Canada to pay American waste disposable company S.D. Myers $5.6 million because the country prohibited the export of toxic industrial waste—exports that were banned by international treaty that applied to Canadian and foreign firms alike. The company’s lawyer boasted, “It wouldn’t matter if a substance was liquid plutonium destined for a child’s breakfast cereal. If the government bans a product and a U.S.-based company loses profits, the company can claim damages.”

Forum List

Back