Truck Drivers Say They Won’t Deliver To Cities with Defunded Police Departments

Refuse a delivery, YOU'RE FIRED!!!!
Someone else will get the job done while you starve.

Truckers are promising to bring freight deliveries to a screeching halt in any city that cuts or disbands its police department, a new poll shows.

Three out of four long-haul drivers told CDL News, a website for the commercial trucking industry, that they would fear for their personal safety if a city slashed its number of cops in response to the demonstrations nationwide against police brutality.

Trucking ranks consistently as one of the most dangerous jobs nationwide, labor statistics show. In 2018, the occupation topped the list, followed by construction workers, farmers and ranchers, groundkeepers and miscellaneous agricultural employees.

Those of us doing this job vow to halt deliveries, can you blame us?

Disband is quite different than defund. Does this mean they won't be delivering to New York or Los Angeles? Both cities have cut their budgets and in NY, they've cut 600 plain clothed officers.

Citizens have to choose where they want their resources to go. In Canada, we just want some accountability about their spending. I get the feeling some in the U.S are looking for the same.
Come on...this has ZERO to do with accountability about their spending, Shocked! This is about power. The far left wants to take control of our major cities. The Police are one of the few things standing in the way of that. Defund them and they are no longer an obstacle. Better yet...replace the Police with your own "security forces" and then you can totally shut down opposition.

You think trucking companies are going to be anymore OK with delivering to lawless cities than the long haul truckers they employ? Hijackings will be through the roof. You'll have a situation where truckers will deliver to hubs OUTSIDE of cities where the Police have been neutered and then goods will have to be delivered into the city by someone else. Watch the cost of those goods skyrocket to reflect the new norm.

Truckers are promising to bring freight deliveries to a screeching halt in any city that cuts or disbands its police department, a new poll shows.

Three out of four long-haul drivers told CDL News, a website for the commercial trucking industry, that they would fear for their personal safety if a city slashed its number of cops in response to the demonstrations nationwide against police brutality.

Trucking ranks consistently as one of the most dangerous jobs nationwide, labor statistics show. In 2018, the occupation topped the list, followed by construction workers, farmers and ranchers, groundkeepers and miscellaneous agricultural employees.

Businesses thus jobs would leave any regions poorly protected and property values would drop making residents lose net worth. Insurance would go up etc. Everything on my list of why protests and violence do more harm then good is the price paid for lawless zones as well.

Democrats want our cites to become crime-free zones.......meaning every crime you commit you get off Scott free.

Disband is quite different than defund. Does this mean they won't be delivering to New York or Los Angeles? Both cities have cut their budgets and in NY, they've cut 600 plain clothed officers.

Citizens have to choose where they want their resources to go. In Canada, we just want some accountability about their spending. I get the feeling some in the U.S are looking for the same.
I quit delivering to New York and California a decade ago.

When I first started trucking... companies paid a $150 surcharge on top of per mile pay and tolls to go to NYC. I have no idea how much extra they pay now. Soon they'll have surcharges for every city.

No one I know is going to Atlanta right now...and we aren't excepting contract freight to Atlanta, Detroit, Baltimore or the Twin Cities. My insurance doesn't cover rioting. No joke. My policy has a civil unrest exclusion. Many small trucking companies do.

The big guys are mostly self insured for the first million dollars on up to totally self insured...so they might not care...but the rates to the Twin Cities are up 15% in the last two weeks over comparable freight to other nearby cities. Not enough for the little guys to risk it, but enough for the big guys.

You think trucking companies are going to be anymore OK with delivering to lawless cities than the long haul truckers they employ? Hijackings will be through the roof. You'll have a situation where truckers will deliver to hubs OUTSIDE of cities where the Police have been neutered and then goods will have to be delivered into the city by someone else. Watch the cost of those goods skyrocket to reflect the new norm.
As long as they pay for the inconvenience and it is not passed on to the general public. They can also add the costs of pilfering and stealing to those areas also. The realities need to be exposed on all fronts.

I support PEACEFUL protestors

and I support the truckers.

They won't get fired; the insurance costs alone will force many companies out of the bidding for freight into shitholes, and in any case after the Reginald Denny assault truckers should have stopped delivering to anywhere in LA back then. Let the scum and their fan clubs hike out to Arizona or Bakersfield to get their groceries.

Profit margins are already slim for truckers; added risk makes them far less likely to risk their lives and their trucks going into shitholes filled with feral animals. Same with big companies, who already have employee retention problems due to the generally sleazy management practices and sweatshop working conditions. I don't think rookie compnay drivers are going to give a shit about company problems enough to die for the crooked assholes.

Doubtful.

Truck drivers are in critically short supply and companies aren't going to axe a good driver who refuses to drive into a zone of civil unrest.

And if they did...that driver would have a new job before the sun went down.

This is from eight days ago...

Doubtful.

Truck drivers are in critically short supply and companies aren't going to axe a good driver who refuses to drive into a zone of civil unrest.

They've been claiming that for decades, and it's load of lies, they run people off faster than they can hire them, but yeah, jobs are easy to get, even when there are 10 CDLs for every truck on the road now. The Feds have been subsidizing training theri employees for them since the 1970's. They're as bad as the green card lobbyists.

Doubtful.

That is pure corporate Propaganda! I have trucking companies begging me for loads. If any ever refused to deliver, that would be the last load I ever let them deliver & I will claim damages against the carriers insurance.

Doubtful.

They've been claiming that for decades, and it's load of lies, they run people off faster than they can hire them, but yeah, jobs are easy to get, even when there are 10 CDLs for every truck on the road now. The Feds have been subsidizing training theri employees for them since the 1970's. They're as bad as the green card lobbyists.
Lot of companies paying 50 cents a mile with trucks decked out with APUs and refrigerators...plus paying $3000 sign on bonuses.

I don't think they'd be doing that is there wasn't a shortage.

I quit delivering to New York and California a decade ago.

When I first started trucking... companies paid a $150 surcharge on top of per mile pay and tolls to go to NYC. I have no idea how much extra they pay now. Soon they'll have surcharges for every city.

No one I know is going to Atlanta right now...and we aren't excepting contract freight to Atlanta, Detroit, Baltimore or the Twin Cities. My insurance doesn't cover rioting. No joke. My policy has a civil unrest exclusion. Many small trucking companies do.

The big guys are mostly self insured for the first million dollars on up to totally self insured...so they might not care...but the rates to the Twin Cities are up 15% in the last two weeks over comparable freight to other nearby cities. Not enough for the little guys to risk it, but enough for the big guys.

Soon they will have to dress up their truck with armored defense weapons like those apocolyptic movies and TV shows, or disguise shipments to look like fire trucks. MAKE THESE lawless leftist GOVERNORS drive a used purchased Amazon truck as their gov't issued vehicle and then see what they think about their defunding nonsense.

Doubtful.

That is pure corporate Propaganda! I have trucking companies begging me for loads. If any ever refused to deliver, that would be the last load I ever let them deliver & I will claim damages against the carriers insurance.
Of course you do. If they can't move it...they broker it to another company. And they make a percentage just by making a phone call. That's how the business works. I broker about a third of my freight contracts.

We wouldn't refuse to deliver. We won't accept the contact from the broker. IOW...I won't pick it up.

If you want to go with someone else...have at it...I have more than I can do already. About the third driver who backs into your fence...only knows three wordsin English and delivers two days late...you'll be back. Seen it dozens of times over the years.

Forum List

Back