Trump Deal - details, reactions and development on the ground

Trump Deal - applicable or not?

• Yes (after hearing details)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No (after hearing details)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
But it only address' one side's concerns.

What about applying this to the Israeli civilians?
What about applying this to the Israeli civilians?
What rights of theirs are being violated?

Security from violent attacks.
Attacks are unprovoked violence. Palestinians defense is not unprovoked.

What kind of "defense" is lobbing rockets into civilian areas?
Israel attacks civilian areas all the time.

Why the double standard?

You didn't answer her question. Deflection. What kind of "defense" is lobbing rockets into civilian areas?

And don't say it's harmless. I was just in Israel this past November, while you have never visited your beloved Palestine in your entire life. I saw my relatives go into bomb shelters. I saw the disruption of their lives, with work and school being cancelled. I saw their dog having anxiety attacks.

Last edited:
Does the land belong to the native population or to foreign settlers?

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities. They are not "native" to the land or descended from the now-defunct Canaanites. On the other hand, Israelis speak the same language that was spoken 2,000 years ago, as well as use the same currency (proven by archaeology), and celebrate the same national holidays. Most Arabacized names of the cities and towns in Israel and Judea (or the West Bank) come from the Hebrew. So Jews aren't "foreign" to Israel.
Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities.
Israeli bullshit, of course. The Zionists kept economic improvements to themselves.

Aint BullShit TInmore.. Or like a local talk show host says "Bovine Scatology"....

One of the largest sources of income for middle class Palis in the West Bank are jobs and trade with Israel..

The jobs part is more than fair and mutually beneficial... But the trade part is quite unfair under military occupation and policing right now...

Who you think has the MONEY to build new fancy cities and settlements in the Pali WB? It aint coming from spice carts or falafel stands...
One of the largest sources of income for middle class Palis in the West Bank are jobs and trade with Israel..
And Israel throttles those any time it wants.

The Palestinians want to be free from that.

And that is actually one thing flacaltenn tries to address...so...what are your thoughts on how he addresses that instead of complaining Israel throttles it? I like the trade ideas, and I really like opening up direct trade between Palestine and other Arab states. That part is a win win for development of an independent Palestinian economy.
Before Israel, the Palestinians traded with Arab countries and Europe. There was no need for aid or violence.

What was wrong with that?

What rights of theirs are being violated?

Why the double standard?

You didn't answer her question. Deflection. What kind of "defense" is lobbing rockets into civilian areas?

And don't say its harmless. I was just in Israel this past November, while you have never visited your beloved Palestine in your entire life. I saw my relatives go into bomb shelters. I saw the disruption of their lives, with work and school being cancelled. I saw their dog having anxiety attacks.
The Palestinians experience acts of war constantly.

Are they not allowed to respond?

Why the double standard?

And don't say its harmless. I was just in Israel this past November, while you have never visited your beloved Palestine in your entire life. I saw my relatives go into bomb shelters. I saw the disruption of their lives, with work and school being cancelled. I saw their dog having anxiety attacks.

All civilians living in Israel are legal targets for the Palestinians, right?

#2 would be criminal and as a member of Team Palestine I'm totally opposed to any involuntary displacements.

Israel, withdrawing their criminally occupying settlers from the occupied West Bank (except in cases of mutually agreed land swaps), would not only be not criminal, it would be enforcing the law. Moreover, without that, there will be no peaceful, lasting agreement.

So you're STILL ignoring the fact that Israel TRIED that approach with the PA when they TOTALLY VACATED GAZA are ya????

That plan can go to the shredder... It's Einstein's definition of insanity... Learn from history...

Say, Flac, how is it that a few harmless rockets (by Israel's standards) flying from Gaza justify crimes in the West Bank?

Moreover, have you ever asked yourself why Israel, despite overwhelming military and intelligence superiority, and several large-scale, mass murderous military incursions, couldn't get a ragtag militia in a tiny speck of land under control? If you did, what was your answer?

I'm going to add something here...it's not really a "few harmless rockets" - it's the fact that any state has obligation to protect it's citizens, and those rockets do go into civilian areas and have caused damage and injury.

Would the US accept that if Mexico started flinging rockets over our border? Not likely. No state would.
The US is not occupying Mexico. Apples and oranges.
Yes it is.

2. The Old City of Jerusalem and the holy places.

While I feel slightly bad saying so, I think this is also a non-starter. Israel just can't let the Old City and the holy places go. The Trump Plan is absolutely correct in stating that the Old City and the holy and archaeological places are doing very well under the stewardship of Israel. I can't say that we can expect that of the Palestinians.

That said, some sort of fast-track for Muslims to visit the Muslim shrines would be the right thing to do.

I think the Trump Plan got this one right. But I know this is going to be a hard place for the Arabs to give up.

I would agree that as long as the status quo for Muslims and access to the Temple Mount is retained (but I would agree to allowing Jewish prayer ) then I think it should remain in Israeli control. They have shown a respect for the archeology, religious significance for multiple faiths for decades now, and that is important. They have done nothing to make me think that would change so I think it's time for trust.

Is it difficult for Muslims to visit muslim shrines in that area?
Muslims and Christians have a lot of difficulty visiting their holy sites in Jerusalem.
No they don’t.

While I feel slightly bad saying so, I think this is also a non-starter. Israel just can't let the Old City and the holy places go. The Trump Plan is absolutely correct in stating that the Old City and the holy and archaeological places are doing very well under the stewardship of Israel. I can't say that we can expect that of the Palestinians.

That said, some sort of fast-track for Muslims to visit the Muslim shrines would be the right thing to do.

I think the Trump Plan got this one right. But I know this is going to be a hard place for the Arabs to give up.

I would agree that as long as the status quo for Muslims and access to the Temple Mount is retained (but I would agree to allowing Jewish prayer ) then I think it should remain in Israeli control. They have shown a respect for the archeology, religious significance for multiple faiths for decades now, and that is important. They have done nothing to make me think that would change so I think it's time for trust.

Muslims and Christians have a lot of difficulty visiting their holy sites in Jerusalem.

If so - how can it be resolved? Shusha mentioned expedited access in one of her posts. That would help wouldn't it?
UN Resolution 1514

United Nations Official Document
Resolutions are non-Binding opinions.

Why the double standard?

No they don’t.

That is interesting and intrigues me, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Can you expand on this one thing?

I agree on that point.

If I understand you correctly about what you want clarification on...

The wording of the Plan as it stand now is:

1. The State of Palestine shall be fully demilitarized and remain so.
2. The State of Palestine will have security forces capable of managing internal security and preventing terrorist attacks within the State of Palestine and against the State of Israel, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the Arab Republic of Egypt ... These specific capabilities may not violate the principle that the State of Palestine shall remain fully demilitarized, derogate the State of Israel's over-riding security responsibility and will be agreed upon by the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.
3. This security protocol is intended to continue unless and until there is a different agreement by both the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.

I would argue that, in principle, this needs to be reframed.

It is recognized that the State of Palestine, having attained full and recognized sovereignty and agreeing to live in peace with her neighbors and abide by the principles as laid out in the Charter of the United Nations, shall embrace the responsibility of retaining military forces for the explicit purpose of protecting her citizens and territorial integrity from aggression. This principle will be temporarily mitigated by voluntary compliance of supervision by the State of Israel.

1. The State of Palestine shall be fully demilitarized for a period of not less than 50 years.
2. The State of Palestine and the State of Israel will have a mutual defense pact in all cases of external aggression.
3. The State of Palestine will have security forces capable of managing internal security and preventing terrorist attacks within the State of Palestine and against the State of Israel, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the Arab Republic of Egypt. These security forces will work closely with supervising forces from the State of Israel, especially with respect to border security.
4. Should the State of Palestine, or its security forces, violate the principles of peaceful co-existence with her neighbors, the State of Israel shall have the immediate and unilateral responsibility for the over-riding security for both the State of Palestine and the State of Israel.
5. Following the period of demilitarization an international Committee consisting of the State of Israel, the United States, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Arab Republic of Egypt and five member States agreed upon by the four permanent Committee members will agree to either release the State of Palestine from this requirement, or to renew it for a period of time at their discretion.

(The above its perfect, but I had 15 minutes to work on it instead of 3 years).

The principle is just a shift in attitude. The State of Palestine has a right to a military force and to defend itself. That right has been temporarily restricted but will be restored with co-operation and continued peace in the best interests of both nations.

I also feel like there should be a really big stick here, but can't for the life of me figure out what it should be.
This principle will be temporarily mitigated by voluntary compliance of supervision by the State of Israel.
The supervision of Israel is the conflict.

Until that ends there will be no peace.

Yet it didn't end when they withdrew from Gaza. Not even reduced.
They didn't withdraw from Gaza.

Not completely, but they did give Gaza and window of opportunity didn't they?
Part of the so called withdrawal was initiating a system of closure. Without travel, trade, and tourism what opportunities can you have?

2. The State of Palestine will have security forces capable of managing internal security and preventing terrorist attacks within the State of Palestine and against the State of Israel, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the Arab Republic of Egypt ... These specific capabilities may not violate the principle that the State of Palestine shall remain fully demilitarized, derogate the State of Israel's over-riding security responsibility and will be agreed upon by the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.
3. This security protocol is intended to continue unless and until there is a different agreement by both the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.

It is recognized that the State of Palestine, having attained full and recognized sovereignty and agreeing to live in peace with her neighbors and abide by the principles as laid out in the Charter of the United Nations, shall embrace the responsibility of retaining military forces for the explicit purpose of protecting her citizens and territorial integrity from aggression. This principle will be temporarily mitigated by voluntary compliance of supervision by the State of Israel.

1. The State of Palestine shall be fully demilitarized for a period of not less than 50 years.
2. The State of Palestine and the State of Israel will have a mutual defense pact in all cases of external aggression.
3. The State of Palestine will have security forces capable of managing internal security and preventing terrorist attacks within the State of Palestine and against the State of Israel, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the Arab Republic of Egypt. These security forces will work closely with supervising forces from the State of Israel, especially with respect to border security.
4. Should the State of Palestine, or its security forces, violate the principles of peaceful co-existence with her neighbors, the State of Israel shall have the immediate and unilateral responsibility for the over-riding security for both the State of Palestine and the State of Israel.
5. Following the period of demilitarization an international Committee consisting of the State of Israel, the United States, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Arab Republic of Egypt and five member States agreed upon by the four permanent Committee members will agree to either release the State of Palestine from this requirement, or to renew it for a period of time at their discretion.

The principle is just a shift in attitude. The State of Palestine has a right to a military force and to defend itself. That right has been temporarily restricted but will be restored with co-operation and continued peace in the best interests of both nations.

I also feel like there should be a really big stick here, but can't for the life of me figure out what it should be.
This principle will be temporarily mitigated by voluntary compliance of supervision by the State of Israel.

Part of the so called withdrawal was initiating a system of closure. Without travel, trade, and tourism what opportunities can you have?
The blockades came after Gaza lobbed rockets into S’derot.

If so - how can it be resolved? Shusha mentioned expedited access in one of her posts. That would help wouldn't it?
UN Resolution 1514

Resolutions reference international law.

UN Resolution 1514

Resolutions reference international law.
Opinions usually reference stuff.
Now Link to any site that states Resolutions are binding.

Why the double standard?

Indeed, the Palestinians commit acts of war constantly. Hamas and Fatah have entire infrastructures dedicated to promoting acts of war.

Indeed, why are you surprised when Israel responds?

Why the double standard?

Indeed, the Palestinians commit acts of war constantly. Hamas and Fatah have entire infrastructures dedicated to promoting acts of war.

Indeed, why are you surprised when Israel responds?
It’s obvious Tinmore gets his facts from Arab sites.
He can at least be honest and provide those Links.

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities. They are not "native" to the land or descended from the now-defunct Canaanites. On the other hand, Israelis speak the same language that was spoken 2,000 years ago, as well as use the same currency (proven by archaeology), and celebrate the same national holidays. Most Arabacized names of the cities and towns in Israel and Judea (or the West Bank) come from the Hebrew. So Jews aren't "foreign" to Israel.
Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities.
Israeli bullshit, of course. The Zionists kept economic improvements to themselves.

Aint BullShit TInmore.. Or like a local talk show host says "Bovine Scatology"....

The jobs part is more than fair and mutually beneficial... But the trade part is quite unfair under military occupation and policing right now...

Who you think has the MONEY to build new fancy cities and settlements in the Pali WB? It aint coming from spice carts or falafel stands...
And Israel throttles those any time it wants.

The Palestinians want to be free from that.

And that is actually one thing flacaltenn tries to address...so...what are your thoughts on how he addresses that instead of complaining Israel throttles it? I like the trade ideas, and I really like opening up direct trade between Palestine and other Arab states. That part is a win win for development of an independent Palestinian economy.
Before Israel, the Palestinians traded with Arab countries and Europe. There was no need for aid or violence.

What was wrong with that?

Because almost a century has passed. Things changed.

We aren't going to unscramble that omelette so why do you keep trying?

It seems to me that reopening all that trade would be a win for all, don't you agree?

Agree. So why the hell did they continue lobbing rockets into civilian areas? Come on - these are civilians.

Why the double standard?

It's really really difficult to disentangle what started when and where and by who in a conflict that is essentially over 80 years old. In fact..not sure it's worth it.

It does seem to me that most of Israel's military responses seem to be aimed at Gaza sites that rockets are fired from. That's one thing.

Then, there are a whole lot of other factors including the way stone throwers are treated, whether or not protestors were shot in just cause or not, which would have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

You can't broad brush it all.

But we still get back to an essential function of a state: the right to protect its civilian population from threats.

What the Palestinian civilian population goes through is devastating. What the Israeli civilian population goes through is devastating.

I hope we can acknowledge that - rather than claiming it's just a few rockets here and there.

So what can we do to rectify it? And, maybe, more to the point - in what way is HAMAS acting to PROTECT it's civilian population? In what way is HAMAS acting to put it's civilian population in danger?

The principle is the same.

NO state can tolerate attacks on its civilians, NO state should be expected to. Why would you expect Israel to tolerate it? Part of a function of a state is to protect it's citizens. There shouldn't be a double standard here.

The irony is in P F Tinmore 's insistence that there be an end-of-conflict agreement in which Arab Palestinians continue to have the right to "resist".
Resist what if the conflict ends?

What to you, would be the end of the conflict? Do you envision an end where Israel continues to exist as a nation, and where there is also a Palestinian nation, side by side, living peacefully?

That would be a starting point.

For example, discuss control of borders, territorial waters, airspace.

I agree these things are NECESSARY for sovereignty and thus, Palestine should have them. (Note its perfectly fine for one State to be completely enclosed by another State. There are several of them in the world.)

How can we give Palestine this control while STILL ensuring Israel's security? (And also protecting the lives of Palestinians by ensuring Israel never has to defend itself.)

Palestinians

I would propose a reversal of the fundamental premise of the clauses in the Trump Framework. The current Framework prioritizes Israel's security, creates a normalization of Israeli security control and conditions removal of security on "good behaviour" by the Palestinians. I suggest we reverse this and make Palestine's sovereignty the default and expect its normalization at some point in the future. Its a subtle shift in attitude, and won't make much difference in practical terms for the near future, but its a necessary step for full Palestinian sovereignty.

That is interesting and intrigues me, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Can you expand on this one thing?

That said, any peace deal will HAVE to confront Israeli need for security.

I agree on that point.
Indeed, Israel must secure its settler, colonial Project.

The victory march will continue until the Palestinian flag flies in Jerusalem and in all of Palestine. Yasser Arafat Quotes - InspyreApp | Inspyre

In Tinmore's mind anything short of this would be Palestinians " surrendering"
When asked why the Israelis would ever consider being deprived of their Holy Sites there is no response Why does he have such a hard time accepting this ? :bigboy:

You would be punishing civilian settlers for the acts of their government and expelling 400,000 established people. How viable is that?

What "open season" on Palestinians?

I would not be punishing settlers, I would stop their ongoing crime.

Some settlers are thought to lash out at Palestinians because they are "easy victims."[210] The United Nations accused Israel of failing to intervene and arrest settlers suspected of violence.[211] In 2008, Haaretz wrote that "Israeli society has become accustomed to seeing lawbreaking settlers receive special treatment and no other group could similarly attack Israeli law enforcement agencies without being severely punished."[212]

In September 2011, settlers vandalized a mosque and an army base. They slashed tires and cut cables of 12 army vehicles and sprayed graffiti.[213] In November 2011, the United Nations Office for Coordination of Human Affairs (OCHA) in the Palestinian territories published a report on settler violence that showed a significant rise compared to 2009 and 2010. The report covered physical violence and property damage such as uprooted olive trees, damaged tractors and slaughtered sheep. The report states that 90% of complaints filed by Palestinians have been closed without charge.[214]

According to EU reports, Israel has created an "atmosphere of impunity" for Jewish attackers, which is seen as tantamount to tacit approval by the state. In the West Bank, Jews and Palestinians live under two different legal regimes and it is difficult for Palestinians to lodge complaints, which must be filed in Hebrew in Israeli settlements.[215]​

Forum List

Back