Trump picks National Trade Council Head

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Trump picks China hawk for trade advisory role
Dec 21 (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday named Peter Navarro, an economist who has urged a hard line on China, to head a newly formed White House National Trade Council, the transition team said in a statement.
"The formation of the National Trade Council further demonstrates the President-elect's determination to make American manufacturing great again and to provide every American the opportunity to work in a decent job at a decent wage," the statement said.
Trump made trade a centerpiece of his presidential campaign and railed against what he said were bad deals the United States has made with other countries.
The president-elect, who takes office on Jan. 20, has also threatened to hit Chinese imports with high tariffs and angered Beijing by questioning Washington's longstanding "one China" policy.
Navarro, who advised Trump during the campaign, has authored several books including "Death by China: How America Lost its Manufacturing Base," which was made into a documentary film.
Navarro, a professor at University of California, Irvine, has suggested stepped up engagement with Taiwan, including assistance with a submarine development program.
He argued that Washington should stop referring to the "one China" policy, but stopped short of suggesting it should recognize Taipei, saying "there is no need to unnecessarily poke the Panda."
"I read one of Peter's books on America's trade problems years ago and was impressed by the clarity of his arguments and thoroughness of his research," Trump said in the statement.
"He has presciently documented the harms inflicted by globalism on American workers, and laid out a path forward to restore our middle class. He will fulfill an essential role in my administration as a trade advisor," Trump said.
Sounds good to me!!! :D

We can crash their economy in 90 days with a boycott...they're so over-extended they'd collapse. As for American companies there that China would immediately nationalize....TOUGH SHIT...shoulda stayed home, suckers!

I have been pretty disappointed in a few of his picks, but this sounds awesome!

We can crash their economy in 90 days with a boycott...they're so over-extended they'd collapse. As for American companies there that China would immediately nationalize....TOUGH SHIT...shoulda stayed home, suckers!
They have been transferring to a consumer economy the best I can tell, so idk.

I'm sure that's what he'll do, it's gonna be great.

You don't want to do anything about trade and our hundreds of billions of dollars trade deficit?

Here's something I found..a boycott by us would start the avalanche...

This economist thinks China is headed for a 1929-style depression

You don't want to do anything about trade and our hundreds of billions of dollars trade deficit?

By crashing China? Sure, go ahead.

I don't think what tom said would really happen.. do you?

Here's something I found..a boycott by us would start the avalanche...

This economist thinks China is headed for a 1929-style depression
Didn't read the link but I know they were having problems with growth.. Probably why they are transitioning.

Are you asking me if I think that will be Trump's path?

Either they stop propping up their currency and end the tariff on American goods or they get clobbered. Japan too...there is a different world coming.

Ugh, idk. Your stupidity, arrogance, contradictions and bullshit fry my brain
Lets just start over.
Would you do anything about China? If so, what?

Lets just start over.

Why would I? We just elected Trump, give the boy a chance will ya? Jeez.

Lets just start over.

Why would I? We just elected Trump, give the boy a chance will ya? Jeez.
Loser

From my link....then add in the strengthening of the US dollar...

The export sector, long a driver of Chinese growth, is sputtering due to global saturation and household consumption is barely 30% of China’s GDP, Xie said. In the U.S., household consumption accounted for more than 68% of GDP in 2014, according to the World Bank.

Read: China’s 2015 economic growth slowest in 25 years

China’s stock market last year dove in June, losing more than 30% in a month as regulators tightened margin-trading and short selling rules, making it more difficult for investors to borrow money to invest in stocks. A belief that the government was not properly responding to the economic slowdown also weighed on sentiment.

Then in August, authorities unexpectedly devalued the yuan in a bid to support the flagging economy, sparking unprecedented capital flight.

Forum List

Back