Trump Wanted So Stay In Office. Long Live Trump.

Speed was “deeply worried about a Biden presidency” and believed false claims that the 2020 presidential election had been stolen from Donald Trump, the Republican incumbent, prosecutors wrote in a court filing. They said Speed expressed his admiration for Adolf Hitler and told the undercover agent that he believes Jewish people control Biden, a Democrat.

“Speed saw the Jews as ‘everywhere,’ fighting to destroy Christians, and he was not willing to sit by,” prosecutors wrote.

McFadden said the limited trial testimony about Speed’s antisemitism wasn’t a factor in his verdict. But the judge cited statements that Speed made about January 6 in support of his conviction on the obstruction charge

“His own words show the defendant’s actions were knowing and willful,” the judge said.

Speed was arrested in June 2022 on riot-related misdemeanor charges. A grand jury later indicted him on the felony obstruction charge.

On January 6, Speed drove to Washington, DC, from his home in Vienna, Virginia. After attending the “Stop the Steal” rally, where Trump addressed a crowd of supporters, Speed joined the mob that attacked the Capitol.

Around 3 p.m., Speed entered the building through a door to the Senate wing of the Capitol after other rioters breached it. He remained inside the Capitol for roughly 40 minutes.

After leaving, he texted another rioter that he had “backed out” after hearing that the “vote had been postponed.”

“In other words,” prosecutors wrote, “because Speed thought he succeeded in obstructing the certification, he left the US Capitol Building.”

(full article online)

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) says Fox News made “a mistake” by depicting Jan. 6, 2021, as a largely peaceful if chaotic protest, a revision of history that the Capitol Police chief criticized as “offensive” and “misleading.”

McConnell told reporters that he endorsed Police Chief Tom Manger’s criticism that Fox host Tucker Carlson “cherry-picked” calmer moments from the violent day failed to provide context about the chaos and violence that happened in the Capitol.
“With regard to the presentation on Fox News last night, I want to associate myself entirely with the opinion of the chief of the Capitol police about what happened on Jan. 6,” McConnell told reporters Tuesday, holding up a copy of the police chief’s statement.

McConnell said “my concern is how it was depicted” on Carlson’s highly rated show.

“Clearly the chief of the Capitol Police, in my view, correctly described what most of us witnessed firsthand on Jan. 6,” he said.

“It was a mistake, in my view, [for] Fox News to depict this in a way completely at variance with what our chief law enforcement official here at the Capitol” described, McConnell said.

Manger, the police chief, said the commentary in Carlson’s show “was filled with offensive and misleading conclusions about the Jan. 6 attack.”

Carlson said on his show that describing Jan. 6 as a deadly insurrection is “a lie.”

(Full article online)

U.S. Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger on Tuesday ripped Fox News host Tucker Carlson for spreading “offensive and misleading conclusions” about the Jan. 6 insurrection, including a “disturbing accusation” about Officer Brian Sicknick’s death that also drew rebukes from his family and partner.

In a letter to the Capitol Police force that was obtained by NBC News, Manger conveyed his outrage over the way Carlson portrayed footage aired on his prime-time program on Monday night. The security video was exclusively provided to Carlson by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif.

"The program conveniently cherry-picked from the calmer moments of our 41,000 hours of video," Manger wrote in the letter. "The commentary fails to provide context about the chaos and violence that happened before or during these less tense moments."

Manger continued, "Finally, the most disturbing accusation from last night was that our late friend and colleague Brian Sicknick’s death had nothing to do with his heroic actions on January 6. The Department maintains, as anyone with common sense would, that had Officer Sicknick not fought valiantly for hours on the day he was violently assaulted, Officer Sicknick would not have died the next day."

Sicknick’s mother and two brothers responded to Carlson's characterization of the officer's death by saying the host's "'truth' is to pick and choose footage that supports his delusional views that the Jan 6th Insurrection was peaceful."

Carlson said on his show that Democrats lied about Sicknick's death and played video that he said showed Sicknick walking around inside the Capitol after the mob attacked him. "They knew he was not murdered by the mob, but they claimed it anyway," said Carlson, referring to members of the media and the Jan. 6 committee.

Sicknick, who was 42 years old, died of natural causes after the Jan. 6 attack, but Washington, D.C.'s chief medical examiner said that what transpired during the attack played a role in his death.

"On video, Officer Sicknick looks like he managed to shake off the chemical irritants and resume his duties. That he did, but his sense of duty and incredible work ethic were the driving force which sent him back in spite of his injuries and no doubt contributed to his succumbing to his injuries the following day," Sicknick's family said in Tuesday's statement.

In a statement provided to NBC News, Sicknick's partner Sandra Garza said she was "appalled" by Carlson's segment and his "downplaying the significance of Brian’s death."

Carlson "is not a doctor or a mental health professional and does not have the expertise to understand how one severe traumatic event can so significantly impact the body and brain. For him to act as an expert is laughable,” Garza said.

Manger, who took over as Capitol Police chief in July 2021, said in his letter to rank and file that Carlson's opinion program "never reached out to the Department to provide accurate context." The police chief said Carlson falsely alleged that Capitol Police officers helped the rioters and acted as "tour guides" on Jan. 6.

"This is outrageous and false. This Department stands by the officers in the video that was shown last night. I don’t have to remind you how outnumbered our officers were on January 6," Manger said. "You fought like hell on January 6 and risked your lives to protect the Constitution and everything this country stands for. You, along with our law enforcement partners, saved every Member of Congress and their staff."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said at a news conference Tuesday that he wanted to "associate myself entirely with the opinion of the chief of the Capitol police about what happened on January 6.”

“My concern is how it was depicted,” McConnell said when asked if it was a mistake for McCarthy to hand the footage over to Fox News. “Clearly the chief of the Capitol police correctly described what most of us witnessed on Jan. 6."

Manger said TV commentary "will not record the truth for our history books," but he said the "justice system will."

Manger's letter comes as some Republican members of Congress also criticized Carlson for downplaying Jan. 6 and portraying the rioters as largely peaceful.

(full article online)

A handful of other Senate Republicans on Tuesday pushed back on Carlson's claim that Jan. 6 was "peaceful chaos," with Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina blasting those remarks as “bullshit.”

Carlson, the popular but controversial figure on Fox, made those comments to his millions of viewers Monday night as he aired select clips of never-before-seen surveillance footage of the Capitol on Jan. 6 and downplayed the violent insurrection that injured 140 police officers during an hourslong assault.

“I think it’s bullshit,” Tillis told reporters in the Capitol.

“I was here. I was down there and I saw maybe a few tourists, a few people who got caught up in things,” he added. “But when you see police barricades breached, when you see police officers assaulted, all of that ... if you were just a tourist you should’ve probably lined up at the visitors’ center and came in on an orderly basis.”

Tillis said Carlson's depiction was as “inexcusable” and compared it to those who downplayed the fires and "devastation" during protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in 2020 following the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man.

Republican Sen. Kevin Cramer, a North Dakota conservative, said he was in the Capitol on Jan. 6 and firmly rejected Carlson's portrayal of that day as “some rowdy peaceful protest of Boy Scouts.”

“I think that breaking through glass windows and doors to get into the United States Capitol against the borders of police is a crime. I think particularly when you come into the chambers, when you start opening the members' desks, when you stand up in their balcony — to somehow put that in the same category as, you know, permitted peaceful protest is just a lie,” Cramer said.

“I think it doesn’t do any good for the narrative,” he added.

(full article online)

More about the Dominion Voting Systems defamation case against Fox today, Wednesday. I know I’ve been writing about this case a lot, but it’s important. Tonight on his MSNBC show, Lawrence O’Donnell suggested that the evidence being released in the Dominion case is so damaging to Fox and some of its hosts, that it’s the reason for the Kevin McCarthy/Tucker Carlson saga; the released January 6 footage and Carlson’s effort to craft an alternative January 6 narrative. O’Donnell’s theory was that Carlson, who knew the schedule in the Dominion case and when he could expect to see his texts about Trump, including, “I hate him passionately,” emerge, lined up the footage as a distraction. That seems like a very probable theory.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back