Trump wants to allow religious institutions to openly advocate political views - tax-exempt

Sermons.....religious services....baptisms, spiritual counseling, religious interpretations, scripture readings, christenings, sunday services, temple work.....any and all services that they are paid for by their paritioners through tithes.

And why should church property be exempt from property taxes? The single largest land holder in the city of New York, for example....is the Catholic Church.

Why shouldn't they pay property taxes like everyone else? Why should churches receive ANY tax exemption?
those are all free. no one walks in and walks out having to pay for those things? We pay tuition for school, but not the church services. sorry. try again.

That's funny bullshit. Try having a big church wedding and not "donating" for it. Same with most of the other so-called "free" services provided by the church. BTW, don't you pay (donate) anything for church services? Do you just ignore the collection plate...?
A lot of people do exactly that. No one's going to throw somebody out because they didn't put something in the plate. Again, why should churches be treated any differently from other tax-exempt non-profits?
dude, i go all the time and don't pay a dime. so he's in error. if they were paying for it, they would have to pay as they walked in. oh well, their stoopid is unique.

Then the church doesn't have to pay a penny of taxes on your tithes. But for those who do pay for services, the money the church is paid would be taxable. Even if you considered the payments 'gifts', gifts are taxable.

And you're fleeing from even the mention of the massive property tax bills that churches are inexplicably exempted from. If your argument had merit, you wouldn't have to run.
Sure, if the Church operates a for profit public daycare center, that's a taxable function. If it collects a fee to cover the expenses for the use of facilities, that's a different ball game. It all comes down to for profit vs non-profit. If you follow the law, certain things are taxed while others are not. Why would you want churches treated differently from other non-profits?

what services do they sell. I missed that one

Sermons.....religious services....baptisms, spiritual counseling, religious interpretations, scripture readings, christenings, sunday services, temple work.....any and all services that they are paid for by their paritioners through tithes.

And why should church property be exempt from property taxes? The single largest land holder in the city of New York, for example....is the Catholic Church.

Why shouldn't they pay property taxes like everyone else? Why should churches receive ANY tax exemption?
those are all free.

Those are all paid for by parishioners. Churches are selling their services.....why should they be exempt from taxation on them? If the tithes of the paritiioners are merely 'gifts' for 'free services', then the tithes should be taxed as gifts.

Gift in exchange for free service or payment for services......there are still taxes to pay. Why should churches be exempt?

And I notice you won't touch the property tax issue with a 10 foot pole. You do realize that just because you ignore the issue, just because you have no justification for it doesn't mean that it magically disappears.

The world doesn't disappear just because you close your eyes, JC.

Why should any church receive ANY tax exemption?
do non for profits provide services? are they tax exempt? I'm just trying to set a benchmark here.
I worked for the non-profit that matches donated organs to recipients. They charge for services, yet are non-profit. Churches don't even charge for most of what they do.

How then do they operate if no one pays for anything?

what services do they sell. I missed that one

those are all free. no one walks in and walks out having to pay for those things? We pay tuition for school, but not the church services. sorry. try again.

That's funny bullshit. Try having a big church wedding and not "donating" for it. Same with most of the other so-called "free" services provided by the church. BTW, don't you pay (donate) anything for church services? Do you just ignore the collection plate...?
yep, signs the license purchased from the government to be legal. the money pays for the upkeep to the church and the priests time. That's it.

Funny. Who pays the property taxes?

Department of revenue Washington State:

"Maintaining your Church’s Property Tax Exemption The Basics It is important to understand that property tax exemptions are based on use; to qualify the property must be exclusively used to conduct the exempt activity. The property tax exemption provided under RCW 84.36.020(2) is available for real and personal property owned by a nonprofit recognized religious denomination used exclusively for religious worship and related church purposes. A maximum of five acres of real property is eligible for exemption. This maximum acreage could include a parsonage, convent, caretaker residence, and parking. Unoccupied land included within the five acres may not exceed 1/3 of an acre."

those are all free.

Those are all paid for by parishioners. Churches are selling their services.....why should they be exempt from taxation on them? If the tithes of the paritiioners are merely 'gifts' for 'free services', then the tithes should be taxed as gifts.

Gift in exchange for free service or payment for services......there are still taxes to pay. Why should churches be exempt?

And I notice you won't touch the property tax issue with a 10 foot pole. You do realize that just because you ignore the issue, just because you have no justification for it doesn't mean that it magically disappears.

do non for profits provide services? are they tax exempt? I'm just trying to set a benchmark here.
No, you're trying to avoid any mention of property taxes, or your inability to provide a rational justification for why churches should receive ANY tax exemption. Its kinda fun to watch you flee.

As for non-profits, they're subject to specific restrictions on their activities if they want to maintain certain tax exceptions. Why should churches be any different?

Why should churches receive ANY tax exception? You have no answer....as there is none.
they receive tax exemptions cause they are charitable organization offering religious guidance.

And as long as they are offering 'religious guidance' they remain tax exempt. When they become political organizations, they are no longer afforded that exception.

See how that works?

Why should payment for religious guidance be tax free?
I've never paid for religious guidance in my life, and I've been a member of various churches since I was a teenager. You are advocating, I take it, that democrats not go to Baptist churches and make speeches?

those are all free.

No, you're trying to avoid any mention of property taxes, or your inability to provide a rational justification for why churches should receive ANY tax exemption. Its kinda fun to watch you flee.

As for non-profits, they're subject to specific restrictions on their activities if they want to maintain certain tax exceptions. Why should churches be any different?

Why should churches receive ANY tax exception? You have no answer....as there is none.
they receive tax exemptions cause they are charitable organization offering religious guidance.

And as long as they are offering 'religious guidance' they remain tax exempt. When they become political organizations, they are no longer afforded that exception.

See how that works?

Why should payment for religious guidance be tax free?
yep, we all understand that, it is based on what Johnson passed. Trump is saying he will keep them exempt and lift the amendment by Johnson. So, I'm still not understand what the harm of them discussing politics is? Can you at least answer that?

yep, signs the license purchased from the government to be legal. the money pays for the upkeep to the church and the priests time. That's it.

"Maintaining your Church’s Property Tax Exemption The Basics It is important to understand that property tax exemptions are based on use; to qualify the property must be exclusively used to conduct the exempt activity. The property tax exemption provided under RCW 84.36.020(2) is available for real and personal property owned by a nonprofit recognized religious denomination used exclusively for religious worship and related church purposes. A maximum of five acres of real property is eligible for exemption. This maximum acreage could include a parsonage, convent, caretaker residence, and parking. Unoccupied land included within the five acres may not exceed 1/3 of an acre."

But WHY should the law exempt churches from property taxes? If the law is self justifying then so is the law that revokes the tax exception if churches engage in 'non-except activities'. Ending your entire argument.

And if the law *isn't* self justifying, then you'll need a rational reason to except churches from taxes of any kind.

You have no such justification. Which is exactly where you fail.

But WHY should the law exempt churches from property taxes? If the law is self justifying then so is the law that revokes the tax exception if churches engage in 'non-except activities'. Ending your entire argument.

And if the law *isn't* self justifying, then you'll need a rational reason to except churches from taxes of any kind.

You have no such justification. Which is exactly where you fail.
because they are non for profit. ring around the rosy much?

I posted why, can't you read?

go on line and post churches non for profit. see what you'll learn.

Filing Requirements

a link to the IRS. Go ask them.

those are all free.

I worked for the non-profit that matches donated organs to recipients. They charge for services, yet are non-profit. Churches don't even charge for most of what they do.

Now you're starting to ask the right questions. The Church establishes a budget based on the giving of the members and from that budget they pay for things like utilities. A LOT of other stuff is done by volunteers, believe it or not. I've done more work days at church than I can remember. The church will buy supplies and men with expertise will do the work for free. No one gets paid for stuff like that. If there's something too big for volunteer work, they'll do a specific fund raiser and pay for it. Teachers are volunteers as well. In fact, in most small to medium sized churches, you'll literally only have maybe two or three people get paid anything at all. Only larger churches have staffs larger than that. A Church is a community of believers helping each other.

those are all free.

Now you're starting to ask the right questions. The Church establishes a budget based on the giving of the members and from that budget they pay for things like utilities. A LOT of other stuff is done by volunteers, believe it or not. I've done more work days at church than I can remember. The church will buy supplies and men with expertise will do the work for free. No one gets paid for stuff like that. If there's something too big for volunteer work, they'll do a specific fund raiser and pay for it. Teachers are volunteers as well. In fact, in most small to medium sized churches, you'll literally only have maybe two or three people get paid anything at all. Only larger churches have staffs larger than that. A Church is a community of believers helping each other.
and I thought the libs were all about it takes a village. And they dump on the church and it's community/ village all the time. Again, libs are a jealous lot.

I don't care if they are tax exempt. I just don't want them trying to get their religious views passed as law.

Why do I not have an equally-valid basis to say that I do not want people who hold anti-religious and overtly-immoral views to try to get their views passed into law?

What anti religious laws?

We can start with most of the pervert-rights agenda, especially where it involves forcing overt immorality and perversion on children or on those who want no part of it. Prosecuting businesses for refusing to support immoral homosexual mockeries of weddings, allowing creepy male perverts who claim to “identify as female” into women's locker rooms, restrooms, etc., teaching homosexuality and other sexual perversion to elementary school students, and so on.

Why should those who advocate such blatant evil get a say in government, that those who would stand up for religious and moral value do not?

LBJ was a vulgar man. Chances are that he never read the Bill of Rights much less than the 1st Amendment. The Founding Fathers put religious freedom next to freedom of speech in the first issue they worked out in their attempt to curb the power of the federal government. In the first two hundred years of the Great Republic there were all sorts of assaults on free speech with politically motivated "sedition" laws but the Republic survived and so did the Constitution. The 1st Amendment freedom of religion was respected through the 19th century including the time when the Union Army was so desperate that it was conscripting immigrants for military service during the Civil War but the Quakers and other devoutly religious groups were still exempted from service. The 1st Amendment's freedom of religion lasted until a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by FDR created the issue of Church and State in a 1948 decision that did not appear in the Constitution. Fast forward to the John McCain/Russ Feingold idiocy called "campaign finance reform" that George Bush signed into law and we have a gigantic TAX EXEMPT left wing propaganda investigative agency, Media Matters, with a logo "we monitor (only) conservative speech". Meanwhile (and you almost gotta laugh) the tax exempt Media Matters left wing propaganda network monitors religious groups for political speech and low information lefties want to revoke their tax exempt status. .

Forum List

Back