Trump's incoherent answer on his tax plan (if one can even say he has such a thing)

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
From the debate transcript:
Wallace: Secretary, thank you. Mr. Trump, why will your [tax] plan create more jobs and growth?

Trump: Her plan is going to raise taxes and even double your taxes. Her tax plan is a disaster. And she can say all she wants about college tuition and I'm a big proponent, we're going to do a lot of things for college tuition, but the rest of the public's going be paying for it. We'll have a massive, massive tax increase under Hillary Clinton's plan.

But I'd like to start off where we left because when I said Japan and Germany and I'm not to single them out, South Korea, these are very rich, powerful countries. Saudi Arabia, nothing but money. We protect Saudi Arabia. Why aren't they paying?

She immediately, when she heard this, I questioned and I questioned NATO, why aren't the NATO questions paying, because they weren't paying. Since I did this, a year ago, all of a sudden they're paying. I've been given a lot of credit for it. All of a sudden they're starting to pay up.

They have to pay up. We're protecting people. They have to pay up. I'm a big fan of NATO, but they have to pay up. She comes out and said, we love our allies, we think our allies are great. It's awfully hard to get them to pay up when you have somebody saying we think how great they are. We have to tell Japan in a very nice way, we have to tell Germany, all of these countries, South Korea, we have to say, you have to help us out. We have during his regime, during President Obama's regime, we've doubled our national debt. We're up to $20 trillion.

So my plan, we're going to re-negotiate trade deals. We'll have more free trade than we have right now, but we have horrible deals. Our jobs are being taken out. NAFTA, one of the worst deals ever. Our jobs are being sucked out of our economy. You look at all of the places that I just left, you go the Pennsylvania, you go to Ohio, you go to Florida, you go to any of them, upstate New York, our jobs have fled to Mexico and other places. We're bringing our jobs back. I'm going to renegotiate NAFTA.

And if I can't make a great deal, then we're going to terminate nafta and great new deals. We'll have trade, but we'll terminate it, we'll make a great trade deal. And if we can't, we're going to go a separate way because it has been a disaster.

We're going to cut taxes massively. We'll cut business taxes massively. They're going to start hiring people. We're going to bring the $2.5 trillion that's offshore back into the country. We're going to start the engine rolling again because right now our country is dying at 1 percent GDP.
Really? All that about something other than his tax plan when that was the topic under discussion? Apparently Trump doesn't think his so-called tax plan is worth talking about because when given the opportunity to talk about it, he talked about something else for all but the last short paragraph. Now, of course, I don't really care because it's long been clear to me that the man doesn't actually have a well thought through tax plan and surely by now he's well aware that his plan bodes well for nobody other than well off folks, the more well off, the better it is, yet he's supposedly doing it for "average Americans." Well, if one puts the words "very rich" between "average" and "American, then one would have for whom Trump's tax plan is good.

Forum List

Back