Turns out she was probably never gang raped

You assume that she wasn't raped, when she may well have been. We will probably never know, now.

Say if it turns out she was never raped, yet the media was going on and on, people, even anoymous, were trying to be vigilantes. Say if no crime ever happened, what then?

She killed herself because she was ashamed of having group sex.

So should we be encouraging or discouraging these kinds of choices?

You assume that she wasn't raped, when she may well have been. We will probably never know, now.

There certainly isn't sufficient evidence to slander the names of 4 boys, one of whom wasn't even at the party.
The issue of false rape allegations is VERY important to me. Such an allegation was responsible for the suicide of someone very close to me.
In this case, police were pressured into making an arrest despite no evidence a rape had really occurred.

Add to all this conversations police know Rehtaeh had with friends the day after the party, which revealed a young woman filled with regret for what she portrayed as consensual sex with two boys and who was now afraid her friends would think her “a slut.”

Maybe we need sensitivity training. Nobody should be allowed to judge soneone who just had group sex but you need to pay for their birth control and abortions

Say if it turns out she was never raped, yet the media was going on and on, people, even anoymous, were trying to be vigilantes. Say if no crime ever happened, what then?

She killed herself because she was ashamed of having group sex.

So should we be encouraging or discouraging these kinds of choices?

Condolences to her parents & family.

There does't seem to be anything useful to say about this case. It hasn't been a full month since she was taken off life support after attempting suicide. Only the other participants @ the party know what happened, if they were in their right minds.

We'll simply have to wait & see if anyone comes forward. The big trick, of course, will be discerning which account is the true one. It's a pity all around, they were all v. young.

Remind me of the Duke ,lacrosse team a few years back of course the girl didnt commit suicide but she did blame and ruin the lives of some boys on the team

Also the Hofstra rape case. Some girl had group Alex in the bathroom didn't want her bf to think she's a slut, so she cried rape. The boys got arrested and they only got released after it was revealed they filmed her having sex.

There certainly isn't sufficient evidence to slander the names of 4 boys, one of whom wasn't even at the party.
The issue of false rape allegations is VERY important to me. Such an allegation was responsible for the suicide of someone very close to me.
In this case, police were pressured into making an arrest despite no evidence a rape had really occurred.

Add to all this conversations police know Rehtaeh had with friends the day after the party, which revealed a young woman filled with regret for what she portrayed as consensual sex with two boys and who was now afraid her friends would think her “a slut.”

I agree there isn't enough evidence to slander the names of those boys, but I also think that the OP is wrong is saying that she wasn't raped, when there is no evidence that she wasn't - or even that she was.

Forum List

Back