Two Masters

How do you get "two masters"?

Wow, I haven't heard this inane crap since JFK ran in 1960.

Pogo give us a break here. Some of us are really trying to figure out spirituality, Whoa geeze we are working it. LOL.

Then don't look at it spiritually at all. Look at it from a common sense viewpoint. One cannot serve two masters. Suppose someone got a job on Donald Trump's campaign team and also got a job on Hillary Clinton's campaign team. Now, that someone would of course have political leanings of his own either toward Clinton or toward Trump. Since his employer is his master in both instances, how he serve the both of them to his fullest capabilities? See, that wasn't too hard, was it?
Here's a better example. You have a boss at work = 1 master. You go home and your wife is the master of the house = 1 master. 1 master + 1 master = 2 masters that you have to listen to. Now if you have a second job... kids who run the show... play on a hockey team... you'll have even more masters. See how easy that was?

Again, those are not in conflict. "Two masters" means direct conflict. "Boss" and "wife" are different domains. They don't overlap.

I once saw Joe Biden put his arms around Paul Ryan in a rather fatherly and statesman like fashion and advise the young Senator that he had to compartmentalize his faith and his duties as a servant of the people. Both Biden and the Senate Minority Leader from California are Catholics. I do not offhand know what the religious affiliations of our Supreme Court Justices happen to be but the Bible addresses the subject of serving two masters:

Luk_16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat_6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Pogo give us a break here. Some of us are really trying to figure out spirituality, Whoa geeze we are working it. LOL.

Then don't look at it spiritually at all. Look at it from a common sense viewpoint. One cannot serve two masters. Suppose someone got a job on Donald Trump's campaign team and also got a job on Hillary Clinton's campaign team. Now, that someone would of course have political leanings of his own either toward Clinton or toward Trump. Since his employer is his master in both instances, how he serve the both of them to his fullest capabilities? See, that wasn't too hard, was it?

Absurd. That comparison is two political campaigns in direct competition with each other. Your original premise pits religion versus politics -- two things that have as much to do with each other as headphones and tires.
Boss, wife, priest, coach, kids, all would overlap. Don't be suck a dick.

Really.

Diga me, what does your boss have to say about where you left your dirty clothes? What does your wife have to do with whether you made enough widgets today?

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

Here's a better example. You have a boss at work = 1 master. You go home and your wife is the master of the house = 1 master. 1 master + 1 master = 2 masters that you have to listen to. Now if you have a second job... kids who run the show... play on a hockey team... you'll have even more masters. See how easy that was?

Again, those are not in conflict. "Two masters" means direct conflict. "Boss" and "wife" are different domains. They don't overlap.

Absurd. That comparison is two political campaigns in direct competition with each other. Your original premise pits religion versus politics -- two things that have as much to do with each other as headphones and tires.

Really.

Diga me, what does your boss have to say about where you left your dirty clothes? What does your wife have to do with whether you made enough widgets today?

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?
Your wife wants you home, your boss wants you to stay late, your hockey coach wants you at practise, your kids want you to take them away from Muslims... Don't be a qunt. :D

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?
Your wife wants you home, your boss wants you to stay late, your hockey coach wants you at practise, your kids want you to take them away from Muslims... Don't be a qunt. :D

You sure get absurd when you're losing a point.

The fact remains -- the boss has say over what you do at work -- not the kids; the wife has say over what you do in the bedroom, not the boss-- et cetera. Different domains. What you're trying to do here is domain poisoning.

:eusa_shifty: domain poisoning, I kill me.

We veer off the topic, which was a conflation of politics and religion. Again, different domains that have zero to do with each other. Were we in a theocracy, the relationship would be relevant. We're not (yet) so it's not. The challenge to the OP is to show how it is.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

The fact remains -- the boss has say over what you do at work -- not the kids; the wife has say over what you do in the bedroom, not the boss-- et cetera. Different domains. What you're trying to do here is domain poisoning.

We veer off the topic, which was a conflation of politics and religion. Again, different domains that have zero to do with each other. Were we in a theocracy, the relationship would be relevant. We're not (yet) so it's not. The challenge to the OP is to show how it is.

Actually, the underlying lesson here is that one cannot serve the world and serve God at the same time. A Christian's citizenship is in Heaven, he has set himself/herself apart from the world. The king of this world is Satan You cannot serve both Satan and God.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

Actually, the underlying lesson here is that one cannot serve the world and serve God at the same time. A Christian's citizenship is in Heaven, he has set himself/herself apart from the world. The king of this world is Satan You cannot serve both Satan and God.

"Satan" :rofl:

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

Again, the two have nothing to do with each other. By that logic, if you choose a religious path, then you can't do anything else. Can't work, can't play, can't shit. You're looking for conflict where none exists.

Are you old enough to know what I meant by the allusion to "JFK in 1960"?

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

Again, the two have nothing to do with each other. By that logic, if you choose a religious path, then you can't do anything else. Can't work, can't play, can't shit. You're looking for conflict where none exists.

I'm old enough but I guess I missed your post on that.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

Back in 1960 there were actually people whining that since Kennedy was a Catholic, if elected he'd be "taking orders from Rome". He actually had to defend that.

Even here on USMB 55 years later I'm not sure I've ever heard anything sillier. Even we lay Catholics don't "take orders from Rome". Silliest demagoguery ever.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

So in your dimension, there are never any time conflicts for anyone. Fuck are you stupid on purpose or does it just come naturally?

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

The king of this world is Satan? So we're in Hell?

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

So in your dimension, there are never any time conflicts for anyone. Fuck are you stupid on purpose or does it just come naturally?

Nothing here relates to "time". I know you wish it did so you could have a point but... it doesn't.

"Two masters" doesn't refer to "time". It refers to responsibilities.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

Nothing here relates to "time". I know you wish it did so you could have a point but... it doesn't.

And responsibilities can't overlap? And anyways, Muslims have up to 4 wives. A lot of guys have a wife and a mistress vying for the same piece. You lose. Again.

Really.

Completely different.

"Don't be" what?

And responsibilities can't overlap? And anyways, Muslims have up to 4 wives. A lot of guys have a wife and a mistress vying for the same piece. You lose. Again.

:eusa_clap: Excellent. Not content with personal issues of simple time management, we're now off to "Muslims".

Desperation strikes deep. You're not ready for this Junior. Dismissed.

:eusa_clap: Excellent. Not content with personal issues of simple time management, we're now off to "Muslims".

Desperation strikes deep. You're not ready for this Junior. Dismissed.
Your concession is duly noted. :thanks:

A dog can have 2 masters, sometimes more. You fail.

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

Back in 1960 there were actually people whining that since Kennedy was a Catholic, if elected he'd be "taking orders from Rome". He actually had to defend that.

Even here on USMB 55 years later I'm not sure I've ever heard anything sillier. Even we lay Catholics don't "take orders from Rome". Silliest demagoguery ever.

What it really goes to prove though is that NO politician is a Christian.

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

How does it "prove" that?

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

Pogo, honestly. I cannot heal your ignorance.

6431110.jpg

You are joking, right?

So you have no answer.

Maybe next time think it through first. :itsok:

So you have no answer.

Do you really want to know what I really feel when I talk to you? I feel compassion. I feel I am speaking to one of the walking dead. You are a dead man, my friend. You will be dead in the flesh and you are already dead in the spirit.

So you have no answer.

Do you really want to know what I really feel when I talk to you? I feel compassion. I feel I am speaking to one of the walking dead. You are a dead man, my friend. You will be dead in the flesh and you are already dead in the spirit.

Dood.
You can't just go "I have this theory" and when somebody says "explain" you go "I cannot heal your ignorance".

Do you have a basis of reasoning, or do you not? You're wasting bandwidth here.

Forum List

Back