U.S. Fracking's Larger Implications

API Says Fracking Saved Public Schools $1 Billion Last Year - Businessweek

The report, (pdf) prepared by IHS, claims that local elementary and secondary schools saved more than $1.2 billion off their combined gas and electricity bills during the 2012-13 school year. Or, according to the report, enough money to hire 14,246 full-time teachers. State and local governments saved a total of $720 million due to cheaper gas and electricity, the report says, enough to hire an extra 11,000 workers.

Amazing. Good reference as well, IHS does some cool reports, but generally you've got to pay for them.

API Says Fracking Saved Public Schools $1 Billion Last Year - Businessweek

The report, (pdf) prepared by IHS, claims that local elementary and secondary schools saved more than $1.2 billion off their combined gas and electricity bills during the 2012-13 school year. Or, according to the report, enough money to hire 14,246 full-time teachers. State and local governments saved a total of $720 million due to cheaper gas and electricity, the report says, enough to hire an extra 11,000 workers.

Amazing. Good reference as well, IHS does some cool reports, but generally you've got to pay for them.

I realize IHS puts a lot of work into gathering production ino, but geez the fees they charge for data.

I do data...a fair amount of it usually including some value added component from the likes of DI or IHS. Availability of GIS systems and the related information associated with those layers from many state agencies isn't suited for the kind of analysis I do. But let me have a complete download of the relational database tables that those GIS layers run from, and that is a start.

Fuel Fix » Coming soon to a country near you: The US frac phenomenon

WASHINGTON — The United States’ monopoly on pulling oil and gas out of ultra-dense rock formations is ending, as companies aim to replicate the success in other countries, energy analysts said Tuesday.

For several years, the United States has been a laboratory for figuring out how to exploit unconventional tight oil resources on a large scale, but “this is not just a U.S. play,” said Jamie Webster, senior director of the IHS energy research group. By the end of the decade, 10 percent of the world’s tight oil production will come from outside North America, Webster predicted at an Energy Information Administration summit.

America... fuck yeah!

Obama will use the governments political arm called the EPA to stop us from Fracking.

EPA: Fracking may cause groundwater pollution

Well in my area, fracking would be a monumental mistake that would absolutely destroy the local economy--too much uranium could be released into the watershed.

Fracking doesn't release uranium into the watershed unless you have some real idiot oil and gas reg's, and then it isn't industries fault for following the regs, but the morons who don't know anything about oil and gas production who built the regs.

Of course, those are also the same people usually afraid of hydraulic fracturing because they really don't know what it is....but now we have the dilemma...the issue isn't originating from those who know what they are doing, oil and gas companies drilling, completing and producing wells, but the morons with zero experience in the field who pretend they do.

Obama will use the governments political arm called the EPA to stop us from Fracking.

EPA: Fracking may cause groundwater pollution

Well in my area, fracking would be a monumental mistake that would absolutely destroy the local economy--too much uranium could be released into the watershed.

Fracking doesn't release uranium into the watershed unless you have some real idiot oil and gas reg's, and then it isn't industries fault for following the regs, but the morons who don't know anything about oil and gas production who built the regs.

Of course, those are also the same people usually afraid of hydraulic fracturing because they really don't know what it is....but now we have the dilemma...the issue isn't originating from those who know what they are doing, oil and gas companies drilling, completing and producing wells, but the morons with zero experience in the field who pretend they do.

Fracking releases uranium. Water will be contaminated with the residue. Uranium mining was blocked in my area even though we are sitting on a massive amount of it. It was done with political pressure by God-fearing conservatives, not lawsuits by granola-eating environmental whackos.

Fracking releases uranium. Water will be contaminated with the residue. Uranium mining was blocked in my area even though we are sitting on a massive amount of it. It was done with political pressure by God-fearing conservatives, not lawsuits by granola-eating environmental whackos.

Hydraulic fracturing doesn't "release" anything. Hydraulic fracturing is the point at which the hydraulic pressure created by the surface pumps and liquid loading on the formation exceeds the lithostatic pressure and the rock fractures, changing the volume of the system involved, at which point system pressure drops suddenly, and you throttle up on the pumps and you are off to the races. Sit in the frac van sometime, learn something.

That is hydraulic fracturing.

When the procedure is complete, you throttle back the pumps, the system goes back to static because you are no longer increasing the system volume through increasing frac lengths, and you close the frac valve.

You have just done a hydraulic fracture "event", if you were. The micro-seismic work can be processed, acoustic signatures end, and then all the usual cleanup work of a completion begins. Various configurations of flowback, letting the well soak (if you believe in that), if you are REAL lucky you can start flowing it straight to the production tanks.

The hydraulic fracturing does its job, and because it is complete with the closing of the frac valve, releases NOTHING.

See what I meant earlier, by people just not having a clue as to how these things work?

Now, if you wish to discuss NORM, and are concerned about such things, or want to discuss how poor regulations allow NORM to enter human infrastructure, that is a different issue, and not what otherwise appears to be yet another oil-ignorant attempt to blame oil field completion techniques for everything under the sun.

Hydraulic fracturing doesn't "release" anything. Hydraulic fracturing is the point at which the hydraulic pressure created by the surface pumps and liquid loading on the formation exceeds the lithostatic pressure and the rock fractures, changing the volume of the system involved, at which point system pressure drops suddenly, and you throttle up on the pumps and you are off to the races. Sit in the frac van sometime, learn something.

That is hydraulic fracturing.

When the procedure is complete, you throttle back the pumps, the system goes back to static because you are no longer increasing the system volume through increasing frac lengths, and you close the frac valve.

You have just done a hydraulic fracture "event", if you were. The micro-seismic work can be processed, acoustic signatures end, and then all the usual cleanup work of a completion begins. Various configurations of flowback, letting the well soak (if you believe in that), if you are REAL lucky you can start flowing it straight to the production tanks.

The hydraulic fracturing does its job, and because it is complete with the closing of the frac valve, releases NOTHING.

See what I meant earlier, by people just not having a clue as to how these things work?

Now, if you wish to discuss NORM, and are concerned about such things, or want to discuss how poor regulations allow NORM to enter human infrastructure, that is a different issue, and not what otherwise appears to be yet another oil-ignorant attempt to blame oil field completion techniques for everything under the sun.

yes, you clearly are spinning to avoid the TE part of TENORM by pretending the NORM happens independent of the process. The process concentrates the naturally occurring radioactive material to the point that it is toxic waste even after 90% filtration and the crap gets dumped into surface water. Pennsylvania streams are already getting hit with the crap. By the time the biological magnification takes place and people see what these rackets are doing, the companies will be long since "closed" to be replaced by a new company with the same owners behind them, dumping the cost onto the public in multiple ways.

yes, you clearly are spinning to avoid the TE part of TENORM by pretending the NORM happens independent of the process.

Of course it happens independent of the process. The geologic processes that created the NORM did so long before you and I were born, and probably before mankind was even invented. If it didn't..it wouldn't be there to be called NORM.

sameech said:
The process concentrates the naturally occurring radioactive material to the point that it is toxic waste even after 90% filtration and the crap gets dumped into surface water.

Hydraulic stimulations themselves concentrate nothing. They split rock. And if idiot regulators allow radioactive material to be dumped into surface waters, I recommend you fire them all, prosecute them under applicable laws, and hire new folks with experience in the industry and brains.

sameech said:
Pennsylvania streams are already getting hit with the crap.

I recommend they change the laws to not allow such things to happen then, and arrest those who are breaking the law...assuming Pennsylvania has such laws. I recommend you put the blame where it belongs...idiots who allow such things to happen or folks breaking the law. It certainly isn't the NORMs fault.

sameech said:
By the time the biological magnification takes place and people see what these rackets are doing, the companies will be long since "closed" to be replaced by a new company with the same owners behind them, dumping the cost onto the public in multiple ways.

The companies that have been doing hydraulic stimulations are still here, Halliburton was doing acid completions in the 30's, and is still here after pioneering hydraulic stimulations in the 1940's. States have orphan well programs for a reason, and it turns out that they aren't really all that busy most of the time...wells not being given up easily. If your beef is with incompetent regulators and those ignorant of the steps available, and utilized, within industry to handle problems far worse than NORM, I recommend you go learn from those who do, rather than NIMBYs who specialize in whining.

yes, you clearly are spinning to avoid the TE part of TENORM by pretending the NORM happens independent of the process.

Of course it happens independent of the process. The geologic processes that created the NORM did so long before you and I were born, and probably before mankind was even invented. If it didn't..it wouldn't be there to be called NORM.

Hydraulic stimulations themselves concentrate nothing. They split rock. And if idiot regulators allow radioactive material to be dumped into surface waters, I recommend you fire them all, prosecute them under applicable laws, and hire new folks with experience in the industry and brains.

sameech said:
Pennsylvania streams are already getting hit with the crap.

I recommend they change the laws to not allow such things to happen then, and arrest those who are breaking the law...assuming Pennsylvania has such laws. I recommend you put the blame where it belongs...idiots who allow such things to happen or folks breaking the law. It certainly isn't the NORMs fault.

sameech said:
By the time the biological magnification takes place and people see what these rackets are doing, the companies will be long since "closed" to be replaced by a new company with the same owners behind them, dumping the cost onto the public in multiple ways.

The companies that have been doing hydraulic stimulations are still here, Halliburton was doing acid completions in the 30's, and is still here after pioneering hydraulic stimulations in the 1940's. States have orphan well programs for a reason, and it turns out that they aren't really all that busy most of the time...wells not being given up easily. If your beef is with incompetent regulators and those ignorant of the steps available, and utilized, within industry to handle problems far worse than NORM, I recommend you go learn from those who do, rather than NIMBYs who specialize in whining.

So your whole position is that it is the local government's fault for not regulating that which you deny is even a problem. You must work for or have money invested in fracking.

In the meantime, if the problem did not exist, some states would not require sludge pools for the formation water extraction; there would not have been reports suggesting that it takes a year for the pressure to stabilize after the end of extracting, increasing the likelihood that formation water and groundwater used for drinking will come in direct contact; for reasons that should be obvious to everyone, oil and gas are exempted from federal regulation even if it is as radioactive as the water inside Three Mile Island's nuclear reactors; and by definition, once you start pressurizing and adding chemicals to NORM, it becomes TENORM which you also seem to want to deny happens.

So your whole position is that it is the local government's fault for not regulating that which you deny is even a problem. You must work for or have money invested in fracking.

No...my whole position is that most people don't know what hydraulic fracturing is, and those who pretend they do get it from HBO "documentaries" created by people who fit this category of knowledge themselves, and this category also includes regulators and citizens who aren't willing to pay for regulators who know what hydraulic fracturing is, or representatives who themselves understand, and then pass laws to properly regulate it.

And this leads to the oil-ignorant pretending that some 60+ year old oil field completion technique is itself some evil event, instead of discussing the real problem.

Such as local morons pretending that their waste water treatment plant handles NORM, when it doesn't, and not caring, and then they dump it into surface waters. That isn't frackings fault. It's ignorant people.

Each year I moderate a conference consisting of, on average, 50 educators from around the state. These are grade school/middle school/high school teachers whose focus of instruction is science and math. They receive CPDU credits just for showing up. We have retained the services of a university PhD Geology professor so some of them can receive graduate credits.

Over the 3-1/2 day conference these teachers spend 8 hours in a laboratory setting and 12 hours in a classroom setting, learning everything from A-Z about the oil and natural gas industries. In addition we take them on a 10 hour field trip visiting a refinery, a drilling rig, and a production/storage yard.

We in this industry live, practice, and impart science and education.

The kind of science and education in which Liberals DON'T believe.

employ.png

Over the 3-1/2 day conference these teachers spend 8 hours in a laboratory setting and 12 hours in a classroom setting, learning everything from A-Z about the oil and natural gas industries. In addition we take them on a 10 hour field trip visiting a refinery, a drilling rig, and a production/storage yard.

We in this industry live, practice, and impart science and education.

I was at the EIA conference in Washington last week, and had pre-arranged a meeting there with some reporters, with whom I spent more than 2 hours just trying to get across the concept of uncertainty in resource estimates. I consider myself lucky if, after such an intense one on one session, they get the use of the words "reserves" and "resources" correct. And I'm doing it again next week with folks from California interested in California shale development possibilities in light of recent changes in estimates for the Monterey resources.

Industry certainly lives, practices and breathes these things, but DAMN some people are just thick. Or DON'T want to understand, it being so much easier to just make stuff up, find someone pretending to show how dangerous well water is when someone drilled a well the next county over...and it MUST be that thar frackin, gasland told me so!

Injecting water / chemicals into the ground under high pressure for whatever reason has been proven to cause minor earthquakes and pollution of ground water...But, if that's ok. Slavery, strip mining and cutting down the rain forests are good for the economy, too.

Forum List

Back