U.S. presidential hopeful's 'done with Indian-American'

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
I agree with President Jindal (Future). There is no need for people to insist on calling him Indian-American if he is American. Those idiots who are berating him on Twitter are just that, idiots.

---

Louisiana Governor and U.S. presidential candidate Bobby Jindal caused a Twitter storm of jokes and insults in India on Thursday after he said he dislikes being called an Indian-American.

Republican Jindal is the first person of Indian origin to join the U.S. presidential race. During his campaign launch on Wednesday, Jindal said he was "done with" descriptions that identified Americans by their origin, ethnicity or wealth.

"We are not Indian-Americans, African-Americans, Irish-Americans, rich Americans, or poor Americans. We are all Americans," the two-term governor said to loud cheers at the event in a suburb of New Orleans.

The comment, however, was interpreted by some people on Twitter as an attempt to distance himself from India.

The hashtag #BobbyJindalIsSoWhite recorded more than 6,400 tweets and was among India's top trending topics on Thursday.

"#BobbyJindalIsSoWhite teacher used to use him as a chalk on board," said one Twitter user named aindrila. Another user, Yusuf B, said: "#BobbyJindalIsSoWhite that we only see the outline of his body when he stands in front of a white wall."

Jindal's office could not be reached out of business hours on Thursday.

Some people also came out in Jindal's support. "Strange, he is being ridiculed for his assertion of his Americanship," Twitter user Rajiv wrote.

Jindal, who converted from Hinduism to Christianity as a teenager, is popular with social conservatives and evangelical Christians.

But he has struggled recently with a fiscal crisis in his state. He frequently ranks near the bottom end of opinion polls of Republicans seeking the party's nomination in the 2016 election.

In January, Jindal made similar remarks and said his parents moved to America to be Americans.

"If we wanted to be Indians, we would have stayed in India," Jindal said.

U.S. presidential hopeful s done with Indian-American remark prompts Twitter storm Reuters

You can be American and still be other things. It does not make you less of an American

You can be a religious American, a poor American, a farmer American, a Texan American, a gay American......and multiple combinations

Just because you have other factors in additional to being American is not disrespectful at all

You can be American and still be other things. It does not make you less of an American

You can be a religious American, a poor American, a farmer American, a Texan American, a gay American......and multiple combinations

Just because you have other factors in additional to being American is not disrespectful at all

I think he is concerned that his rivals will attack his Indian heritage during the campaign. So he is trying to distance himself from his Indian heritage. I think that is reasonable given all the negative propaganda U.S. media engages in about the Indian culture.

Like Chris Christy, Jindal couldn't even get the nomination of his own state for POTUS. Jindal is about to get a wake up call for bigotry in the GOP.

Like Chris Christy, Jindal couldn't even get the nomination of his own state for POTUS. Jindal is about to get a wake up call for bigotry in the GOP.

If he is a bigot (I do not know if he is) then it is good that he is distancing himself from his Indian heritage. Either way, I think people should call him what he wants to be called which is American not Indian-American.

Last edited:

If he is a bigot (I do not know if he is) then it is good that he is distancing himself from his Indian heritage. Either way, I think people should call him what he wants to be called which is American not Indian-American.
Like the head of the NAACP in Spokane wanting to be called black? It wasn't Jindal being a bigot, it's the GOP.

Like the head of the NAACP in Spokane wanting to be called black? It wasn't Jindal being a bigot, it's the GOP.

That woman's situation was kind of bizarre but hey, if she wants to be called black, I do not see why people should not oblige. Heck, in my attempt to circumvent the discrimination against colored folks here in the U.S., I wish I had tried to pass myself for white.

That woman's situation was kind of bizarre but hey, if she wants to be called black, I do not see why people should not oblige. Heck, in my attempt to circumvent the discrimination against colored folks here in the U.S., I wish I had tried to pass myself for white.
My apologies for your abuse. But I'm two parts Native American, along with some French, Irish, Scottish, and British. I'm a real mutt. I'm ashamed that the Native Americans capitulated to the whites. And I'm ashamed that the whites got away with genocide on the Native Americans. You are privileged that a black man was POTUS before a REAL AMERICAN.

My apologies for your abuse. But I'm two parts Native American, along with some French, Irish, Scottish, and British. I'm a real mutt. I'm ashamed that the Native Americans capitulated to the whites. And I'm ashamed that the whites got away with genocide on the Native Americans. You are privileged that a black man was POTUS before a REAL AMERICAN.

You pointed out an interesting irony which I think may have escaped many people. I think their (Native Americans) number after whites were done killing them was too small to put any pressure on whites. On top of that, white DNA always dominated Native American DNA; so many Native Americans simply got absorbed by white. With the blacks, it is exactly the opposite; people who are a mix of black and white usually tend to identify themselves as black.

I wish we would stop using the "hyphenated" status we apply to people. We're quite strange that way.

There's this terrific movie called Mississippi Masala and the lead actress is trying to come to grips with "African Americans" (Denzel Washington's family in the movie).

Because she's the only one from Africa.:lol: Her family had been expelled from Uganda by Idi Amin.

But they don't consider her African because her heritage is Indian. This movie is awesome.

It stays away from stereotyping and in a loving way shows how any of us can be prejudiced even when not meaning to be.

Tackles racism in a great way.

Well no wonder

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

The true bigots which are left wing democrats I am sure are tearing him a new one. it is like when you own chickens, if one gets a little bit of blood on them the rest tear it apart. they don't like him because he has a funny sounding name.

Nothing wrong with just being called American. I think that is really the whole point of America. Blending together as one people. Unfortunately the melting point for many is too high.

The true beauty of America is that so many cultures could come together and live peacefully under one flag.

The Democrats have destroyed that peace.

So fuck them now and all their supporters. They want a divided America? Get ready for the big show.

The true beauty of America is that so many cultures could come together and live peacefully under one flag.

So fuck them now and all their supporters. They want a divided America? Get ready for the big show.

So more Americans getting human dignity is 'destroying that peace'. Riiiiight.

And you cons better stop threatening people. There is still plenty of jail space.

What exactly is 'the big show'. More people refusing to fill out forms? Maybe you will put crosses on the side of your car? Already done. Perhaps you'll burn crosses in your yard. Already done. Sooo....what could it be. Secession? Already done, FAIL.

This is what you people look like to the rest of us...

And you cons better stop threatening people. There is still plenty of jail space.

What exactly is 'the big show'. More people refusing to fill out forms? Maybe you will put crosses on the side of your car? Already done. Perhaps you'll burn crosses in your yard. Already done. Sooo....what could it be. Secession? Already done, FAIL.

Watch what you wish for.

The true bigots which are left wing democrats I am sure are tearing him a new one. it is like when you own chickens, if one gets a little bit of blood on them the rest tear it apart. they don't like him because he has a funny sounding name.

No

It is probably Indian-Americans that are questioning why he is trying to throw away his identity. To me, Indian American is American. You can keep or drop the 'Indian' part whenever the situation calls for it. In the end, it means the same thing.

Watch what you wish for.

You people love to threaten other people. Don't say it, do it. I see a lot of talk but you sit at home in your underwear and threaten people. By the way, threatening other people with violence isn't a Christian trait, so you aren't Christian that much is clear.

But stop blustering. You think you are going to 'rise up' and do what? Start shooting people? Isis is already doing that in the name of religion, you can be one of their sleeper cells.

No

It is probably Indian-Americans that are questioning why he is trying to throw away his identity. To me, Indian American is American. You can keep or drop the 'Indian' part whenever the situation calls for it. In the end, it means the same thing.

I disagree with those Indian-Americans who are taking potshots at Jindal. I think they are wrong.

Forum List

Back